Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Braden Holtby has been nothing short of a superstar in the Capitals’ opening round series against Boston. The boatload of saves, some of them of the highlight variety, and now he’s got the seventh seeded Capitals in a Game 7 against the defending Stanley Cup champions.
Time to get nervous, right? Not for Holtby. CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Holtby about how he can’t wait to play in tonight’s series-deciding match-up.
“There’s no point in having nerves right now,” he said. “This is fun. This is what we were hoping for. We’re still the underdogs here. … I don’t think anyone really expected us to be here, even in a Game 7, and you know, we like this pressure. We’re here to show that we’re not gonna back down. Myself, I’m just gonna go in, try to make the stops that I’m capable of stopping and hopefully it’s enough to win.”
Are we sure he’s just 22-years-old because that’s the sort of response you get from a veteran who’s been around the block a few times. Fortunately for Holtby, the defense in front of him has been doing their fair share of the work as well. From keeping shooters to the perimeter to blocking tons of shots, Holtby’s getting a lot of help on top of his great play.
Dealing with a Bruins team that was 3-0 in Game 7s last year, however, presents a whole new challenge. No pressure, kid.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)