Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Braden Holtby has been nothing short of a superstar in the Capitals’ opening round series against Boston. The boatload of saves, some of them of the highlight variety, and now he’s got the seventh seeded Capitals in a Game 7 against the defending Stanley Cup champions.
Time to get nervous, right? Not for Holtby. CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Holtby about how he can’t wait to play in tonight’s series-deciding match-up.
“There’s no point in having nerves right now,” he said. “This is fun. This is what we were hoping for. We’re still the underdogs here. … I don’t think anyone really expected us to be here, even in a Game 7, and you know, we like this pressure. We’re here to show that we’re not gonna back down. Myself, I’m just gonna go in, try to make the stops that I’m capable of stopping and hopefully it’s enough to win.”
Are we sure he’s just 22-years-old because that’s the sort of response you get from a veteran who’s been around the block a few times. Fortunately for Holtby, the defense in front of him has been doing their fair share of the work as well. From keeping shooters to the perimeter to blocking tons of shots, Holtby’s getting a lot of help on top of his great play.
Dealing with a Bruins team that was 3-0 in Game 7s last year, however, presents a whole new challenge. No pressure, kid.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)