Apr 25, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Braden Holtby has been nothing short of a superstar in the Capitals’ opening round series against Boston. The boatload of saves, some of them of the highlight variety, and now he’s got the seventh seeded Capitals in a Game 7 against the defending Stanley Cup champions.
Time to get nervous, right? Not for Holtby. CSNWashington’s Chuck Gormley hears it from Holtby about how he can’t wait to play in tonight’s series-deciding match-up.
“There’s no point in having nerves right now,” he said. “This is fun. This is what we were hoping for. We’re still the underdogs here. … I don’t think anyone really expected us to be here, even in a Game 7, and you know, we like this pressure. We’re here to show that we’re not gonna back down. Myself, I’m just gonna go in, try to make the stops that I’m capable of stopping and hopefully it’s enough to win.”
Are we sure he’s just 22-years-old because that’s the sort of response you get from a veteran who’s been around the block a few times. Fortunately for Holtby, the defense in front of him has been doing their fair share of the work as well. From keeping shooters to the perimeter to blocking tons of shots, Holtby’s getting a lot of help on top of his great play.
Dealing with a Bruins team that was 3-0 in Game 7s last year, however, presents a whole new challenge. No pressure, kid.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)