Apr 25, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
When the Devils face the Panthers on Thursday in Game 7 of their first round series, it’ll be a familiar place for legendary goalie Martin Brodeur.
No, not playing in Sunrise, Florida but playing in a seventh game. As Rich Chere from The Star-Ledger makes note, Brodeur has played in nine previous Game 7s in his career, winning five of them.
Brodeur’s last appearance in a Game 7 didn’t go too well losing to Carolina in 2009 after allowing the game-tying goal to Jussi Jokinen with 1:20 left in the third and the game-winner to Eric Staal with 32 seconds remaining in the game.
Safe to say the Devils are hoping this turn against a Southeast Division team goes a bit more smoothly than that. As for Brodeur’s history in Game 7s, here’s a brief once-over.
2008-2009: (L 4-3) Carolina – first round; Jussi Jokinen scores with 1:20 left to tie, Eric Staal with 32 seconds left to win
2002-2003: (W 3-2) Ottawa – Eastern Conference finals; 24 saves, sends New Jersey to Stanley Cup finals
2002-2003: (W 3-0) Anaheim – Stanley Cup finals; 24 save shutout to win Stanley Cup yet somehow not the Conn Smythe (Jean-Sebastien Giguere got that in a losing effort)
2000-2001: (W 5-1) Toronto – second round; 15 saves to beat the Leafs.
2000-2001: (L 3-1) Colorado – Stanley Cup finals; 19 saves losing to Ray Bourque and Patrick Roy.
1999-2000: (W 2-1) Philadelphia – Eastern Conference finals; 26 saves beating Brian Boucher.
1998-1999: (L 4-2) Pittsburgh – first round; Nine saves on 13 shots as Martin Straka had three points.
1993-1994: (W 2-1) Buffalo – first round; 17 saves, beats Dominik Hasek who stopped 44 shots.
1993-1994: (L 2-1 in 2OT) New York Rangers – Eastern Conference finals; 46 saves but succumbs to Stephane Matteau’s signature moment in the NHL ends the game.
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 5
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 27
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 32
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)