Apr 25, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
When the Devils face the Panthers on Thursday in Game 7 of their first round series, it’ll be a familiar place for legendary goalie Martin Brodeur.
No, not playing in Sunrise, Florida but playing in a seventh game. As Rich Chere from The Star-Ledger makes note, Brodeur has played in nine previous Game 7s in his career, winning five of them.
Brodeur’s last appearance in a Game 7 didn’t go too well losing to Carolina in 2009 after allowing the game-tying goal to Jussi Jokinen with 1:20 left in the third and the game-winner to Eric Staal with 32 seconds remaining in the game.
Safe to say the Devils are hoping this turn against a Southeast Division team goes a bit more smoothly than that. As for Brodeur’s history in Game 7s, here’s a brief once-over.
2008-2009: (L 4-3) Carolina – first round; Jussi Jokinen scores with 1:20 left to tie, Eric Staal with 32 seconds left to win
2002-2003: (W 3-2) Ottawa – Eastern Conference finals; 24 saves, sends New Jersey to Stanley Cup finals
2002-2003: (W 3-0) Anaheim – Stanley Cup finals; 24 save shutout to win Stanley Cup yet somehow not the Conn Smythe (Jean-Sebastien Giguere got that in a losing effort)
2000-2001: (W 5-1) Toronto – second round; 15 saves to beat the Leafs.
2000-2001: (L 3-1) Colorado – Stanley Cup finals; 19 saves losing to Ray Bourque and Patrick Roy.
1999-2000: (W 2-1) Philadelphia – Eastern Conference finals; 26 saves beating Brian Boucher.
1998-1999: (L 4-2) Pittsburgh – first round; Nine saves on 13 shots as Martin Straka had three points.
1993-1994: (W 2-1) Buffalo – first round; 17 saves, beats Dominik Hasek who stopped 44 shots.
1993-1994: (L 2-1 in 2OT) New York Rangers – Eastern Conference finals; 46 saves but succumbs to Stephane Matteau’s signature moment in the NHL ends the game.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination