Apr 25, 2012, 9:11 AM EST
When the Devils face the Panthers on Thursday in Game 7 of their first round series, it’ll be a familiar place for legendary goalie Martin Brodeur.
No, not playing in Sunrise, Florida but playing in a seventh game. As Rich Chere from The Star-Ledger makes note, Brodeur has played in nine previous Game 7s in his career, winning five of them.
Brodeur’s last appearance in a Game 7 didn’t go too well losing to Carolina in 2009 after allowing the game-tying goal to Jussi Jokinen with 1:20 left in the third and the game-winner to Eric Staal with 32 seconds remaining in the game.
Safe to say the Devils are hoping this turn against a Southeast Division team goes a bit more smoothly than that. As for Brodeur’s history in Game 7s, here’s a brief once-over.
2008-2009: (L 4-3) Carolina – first round; Jussi Jokinen scores with 1:20 left to tie, Eric Staal with 32 seconds left to win
2002-2003: (W 3-2) Ottawa – Eastern Conference finals; 24 saves, sends New Jersey to Stanley Cup finals
2002-2003: (W 3-0) Anaheim – Stanley Cup finals; 24 save shutout to win Stanley Cup yet somehow not the Conn Smythe (Jean-Sebastien Giguere got that in a losing effort)
2000-2001: (W 5-1) Toronto – second round; 15 saves to beat the Leafs.
2000-2001: (L 3-1) Colorado – Stanley Cup finals; 19 saves losing to Ray Bourque and Patrick Roy.
1999-2000: (W 2-1) Philadelphia – Eastern Conference finals; 26 saves beating Brian Boucher.
1998-1999: (L 4-2) Pittsburgh – first round; Nine saves on 13 shots as Martin Straka had three points.
1993-1994: (W 2-1) Buffalo – first round; 17 saves, beats Dominik Hasek who stopped 44 shots.
1993-1994: (L 2-1 in 2OT) New York Rangers – Eastern Conference finals; 46 saves but succumbs to Stephane Matteau’s signature moment in the NHL ends the game.
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 2
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)