Lundqvist, Quick and Rinne are your Vezina Trophy finalists

Apr 25, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT

Quick Lundqvist

In a year where there was no shortage of outstanding goaltending performances, the NHL has narrowed its Vezina Trophy candidate list to three ‘tenders — New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist, Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick and Nashville’s Pekka Rinne.

The trio of candidates ensures a first-time winner, though Lundqvist has been nominated three times prior while Rinne was a finalist in 2010-11. Quick has never been nominated for the Vezina.

As for the candidates…

Lundqvist

He appeared in 62 games for the Rangers — winning a career-high 39 — and backstopped New York to first place in the Eastern Conference since 1993-94. “King Henrik” finished with a 1.97 goals-against average and a .930 save percentage, finishing in the top four in wins, GAA, save percentage and shutouts (eight).

Quick

The 26-year-old carried the Kings throughout the season and was instrumental in getting them the eighth and final playoff spot in the West. He played a career-high 69 games and had 35 of L.A.’s 40 wins this season, finishing with a 1.95 GAA, .929 save percentage and a stunning 10 (yeah, ten) shutouts.

More, from NHL.com:

His accomplishments came with almost no margin for error, as the Kings were 29th in the League in scoring at 2.29 goals per game. And while he had 34 losses in regulation, overtime or shootouts, the Kings scored two goals or fewer in 15 of them, and one goal or less in nine.

Rinne

The lanky Finn was the league’s workhorse netminder this year, playing in 73 games and recording an NHL-best 43 wins. He was seventh with a .923 save percentage while facing the most shots in the League (2,153) and also had a 2.39 GAA with five shutouts.

PHT Related

Poll: Who will win the 2012 Vezina Trophy?

1. govtminion - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Tough choice… I’d have to go with Quick just because of those shutouts, but it’s hard to imagine any of their teams having done well without the work these goalies put in this year. Very difficult choice here.

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Not a tough choice at all.

Lundquist has this in the bag

• govtminion - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Whoops! I thought we were supposed to give OUR opinions. My bad.

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM

You are, and Im here pointing out when your opinions are stupid.

• govtminion - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Riiiight… this is where I’m supposed to be impressed and awed by your clever response and douchebag attitude, right?

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

You asked for it didn’t you?

Yaaaa pretty sure you thought you were being clever 1 reply ago.

Now you don’t wanna keep going
        I wouldn’t wanna either if I were you
        It always ends up the same

• govtminion - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Whatever, man. If sitting there and being an internet troll is how you spend your day, I feel sorry for you. Life’s too short.

2. austav - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Great choices. Quick should win, even though I’m a Preds fan. He definitely had the best season. I’ll take two years in a row as a finalist for Pekka though.

3. kellyb9 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:40 AM

No nomination for Byzgalov? Sorry, I just like sending that bloggersarenotjournalist guy into a tirade.

• barkar942 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I hear that Bryz is being nominated for the ” Don Cherry Hoof In Mouth” award!

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM

You stupid Flyer fans must think the NHL is against you huh?

4. tarotsujimoto74 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Quick deserves getting the trophy, but I think they’ll give it Lundqvist as sort of a “career” award. There’s that east coast bias thing too.

5. cruuuzcontrol - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The best Rinne can hope for is some kind of split between the more deserving candidates. But this is Quick’s or Hank’s trophy to lose. My biased opinion is Hank wins. Probably some east coast bias will be at play, but Hank deserves to get honored with the Vezina and his stats reflect that he went out there and earned it as the Rangers MVP this season. Almost 40 wins with those ratios… Just sensational. Kings/Quick fans and Ranger haters will complain, but it’s not at all a hose job like Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption for Best Picture in ’94.

6. lewdood - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Give Lundqvist the Vezina, but give Quick the Hart.

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Such stupidity
      WOW

Quick winning the Hart
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a joke

7. stakex - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Well, the one thing we all know is that Rinne isn’t going to win. He had a great season, but his numbers simply are not in the same ball park as Lundquist and Quick.

From that point, I honestly think Lundquist deserves it. Quick had fewer wins in more starts…. and Lundquist has the higher S%, which means he stopped a higher percentage of the pucks that reached him. Not to mention he carried the Rangers to the top seed in the East… and this was a team that no one, and I mean no one, expected to be anywhere near the top. Quick had an amazing season too, and any other year would probably be a runaway for this award. However I just think Lundquist was the better goalie with all things being equal.

I am bias a bit though since I’m a Rangers fan, but that is my honest opinion.

8. barkar942 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Honestly, they are all deserved of the award. Most likely will be Hank. My honorable mentions go to Mike Smith of Phoenix and the Blues tandem of Elliott and Halak.

• brian32556 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I’m a Rangers fan so I’m rooting for the King, but the Elliott/Halak combo in St. Lou is really impressive. They will make the playoffs very interesting.

9. bdfools - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Lundqvist had a great middle of the season when the Rangers weren’t scoring much and won many games for the team. His numbers faltered a bit down the stretch, but the Rangers continued to win because their offense woke up a bit. He put up save percentages of .951 and .944 in February and December, though struggled a bit in March dropping below .900 to .897 save percentage.The only other month he was under .930 was October at .929 percentage.

Quick was a bit more consistent throughout the year, but that consistency wasn’t quite as good as Lundqvist’s best months. No doubt he was instrumental in the Kings making the playoffs. (Though you could say the same for Lundqvist in previous years when the Rangers squeaked in as a #8 seed, and that didn’t seem to get him any extra Vezina consideration.) Quick had save percentages of .947 and .943 in October and January and was right around .920 the other months of the season. (Excluding a couple bad games in April.)

Personally I think goalie shutout stats are a bit overrated. Shutouts just as often as not have to do with how a defense is playing in front of the goalie and how bad the opposing offense is. In Quick’s 10 shutouts, he faced an average of 26.8 shots. In Lundqvist’s 8 shutouts he faced an average of 29.4 shots. Not a huge difference really, just doing a little math for the sake of completeness.

Both would be deserving winners. But I think after being a finalist several times before, the GMs who vote on this award will give the nod to Lundqvist.

10. epictron1 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I have to go with Quick. The Kings didn’t give him offensive support all season. With out him, they don’t even come close to the playoffs. I don’t want to take anything away from Lundquist or Rinne as they were both fantastic, but Quick hands down got the Kings to the playoffs on his own.

• bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

This is BEST GOALIE, not most important to his team (which Quick isn’t either)

You go with Quick, while he finishes 3rd and doesn’t have a chance at winning

• epictron1 - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

He’s the best goalie because he gave his team a chance to win EVERY NIGHT!

I can use the caps button too.

11. bloggersarenotjournalists - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

“Where is Brezzzy?”
    – Typical Flyer Clown

12. challer9 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I’m not sure why Quick’s 10 shutouts are so “stunning”, Lundqvist led the league with 11 last year (second place had 9) and didn’t even get nominated. Also, last year the Rangers scored 224 goals as a team en route to the 8th seed with 93 points. This year, the Rangers scored 222 goals en route to the 1st seed with 109 points. Hmm, I wonder what the difference was…

• bdfools - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Excellent point. I hadn’t realized the Rangers actually scored more goals last year.

• challer9 - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I know right, considering they added Brad Richards who made 12 million this year, and Gaborik scored 41 goals as opposed to 22 last year (he missed a lot of time) it’s kind of sad haha.

13. hockeyflow33 - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

It will go to Lunqvist but it should go to Quick…he was better and had way less scoring in front of him

14. jkaflagg - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Can’t go wrong with any of the three, but you have to figure the East Coast vote plus the Rangers first place conference finish will give him the edge……

Top 10 NHL Player Searches