Apr 25, 2012, 5:59 PM EDT
Through the first six games of their opening round series against the Rangers, the Ottawa Senators have used the “revolving door” strategy when it comes to lineups — 24 different skaters have dressed with two rookies (21-year-old Jakob Silfverberg and 19-year-old Mark Stone) making their NHL debuts.
According to the Ottawa Citizen, the door might keep revolving for Game 7.
Eyebrows were raised at Wednesday’s practice as neither Zenon Konopka or Matt Carkner participated. Head coach Paul MacLean said both were having “maintenance days” yet Konopka — who leads the playoffs with a 69.7 faceoff percentage — was seen walking gingerly out of Scotiabank Place before flying to New York.
The Carkner situation is equally intriguing. He’s played in four of six games thanks in large part to his physical presence and, should he not be able to go, the Sens might go with AHL Binghamton call-up Mark Borowiecki (who would be making his series debut) rather than Matt Gilroy, who has played twice this series.
“The approach is to prepare yourself and be a good pro, because you never know,” Borowiecki told The Citizen. “It’s pretty cool. It’s what every hockey player strives for, to play in a situation like that.
“Regardless of whether I’m in or not, I’m going to enjoy it and go in there prepared.”
In addition to the Konopka/Carkner decisions, Ottawa also has to make a call on which of Stone, Silfverberg or Bobby Butler will play in Game 7.
Butler played Games 3-5 but was largely ineffective. Stone played Game 5 and assisted on Jason Spezza‘s game-winning tally. Silfverberg replaced Stone in Game 6 and seemed to fade after a quick start.
“It’s not going to go down to the wire, but we still have some discussions to go through,” said MacLean, who suggested he still needs to confer with his assistants and GM Bryan Murray. “Ultimately, I will have to make the final decision on who gives us the best chance to win the game.”
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (76)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)