Apr 25, 2012, 12:57 PM EST
Here’s everything you need to know — television and start time-wise, anyway — for what promises to be a nail-biting night of NHL playoff action on Thursday.
New York Rangers vs. Ottawa Senators
– Puck drop at 7 p.m. ET from Madison Square Garden.
– Game can be seen on NBC Sports Network.
Florida Panthers vs. New Jersey Devils
– Puck drop at 8:30 p.m. ET from the BankAtlantic Center in Florida.
– Game can be seen on NHL Network to start; will be joined in progress by NBC Sports Network following the conclusion of Rangers-Senators.
– This will be the second time in four years the Rangers have gone to Game 7 in the opening round. In 2008-09, the Blueshirts lost to Washington on a late goal from Sergei Fedorov. Interestingly, only six players from that team are still with the Rangers: Artem Anisimov, Brandon Dubinsky, Marc Staal, Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi and Henrik Lundqvist.
– Ottawa hasn’t played a Game 7 since before the lockout. But prior to the lockout, the Sens were one of the least successful Game 7 teams around, losing to Toronto in 2002, New Jersey in 2003 and Toronto again in 2004.
– If there’s a team with a decided Game 7 advantage, it’s New Jersey. Martin Brodeur has a wealth of experience in these situations — Thursday will be his 10th Game 7 — and he’s 3-1 in his last four.
– The Panthers have played one Game 7 in franchise history: The 1996 Eastern Conference finals against Pittsburgh. In that game, Tom Fitzgerald, Johan Garpenlov and Mike Hough scored the goals in a 3-1 victory while John Vanbiesbrouck stopped 39 of 40 shots.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)