Hendricks: “We knew we could beat them”

Apr 25, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT

henrdicksgetty Getty Images

Quibble about strategic differences all you want, but it certainly didn’t seem like a mistake that the Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals series went a full seven games with the Caps winning Game 7 2-1 in OT. The Capitals won three out of four regular season games and stood toe-to-toe with Boston through six games, so Matt Hendricks‘ post-game comments to Katie Carrera don’t seem too brash.

“We played these guys tough for six games going into tonight,” Hendricks said. “We knew we could beat them.”

While Hendricks didn’t seem too surprised about the outcome, defenseman Karl Alzner provided the requisite child-like joy to the proceedings. Stephen Whyno provides the quote.

“I”m not surprised,” Alzner said. “No, I’m just kidding. It feels unbelievable.”

Caps owner Ted Leonsis is known for being one of the most accessible in the NHL, if not sports. He provided this honest and interesting account of the series.

“This certainly was the best, most competitive series since I’ve owned the team,” Leonsis said.

Leonsis isn’t being hyperbolic. After all, this is one of the most competitive series – at least statistically – in NHL history.

1. bozosforall - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Boston CHOKES yet again! First the Red Sox last fall, then the Pats this winter, now the Bruins this spring…next the Celtics this summer…or sooner.

City of CHOKERS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• briandstraw - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:40 PM

See, it is funny because you posted the same comment like 20 minutes ago in the post “Ward on Holtby.” I am actually surprised at your remarkable self-control for not posting this comment on each of the last four stories.

Congrats!

• bozosforall - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM

The truth hurt, loser?

• briandstraw - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Ummm. Born and raised Washingtonian. I bleed red.

But the Bruins fans have been pretty respectful in the time since the game closed out. Even if you’re going to be a disrespectful nit, they deserve a bit more than a half-assed copy and past job.

Keep it up Sir Douche-a-lot!

• patsfiend - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:57 AM

It’s worst than that. He is so lifeless that he’s also posted the same comments on Patriots (and probably Red Sox and Celtics boards.) Really sad.

Congrats on the series win. Unbelievable defense played by Caps. B’s seemed a little tired / off, but it was a great series. I’m not “over” it yet, but I’m considering rooting for the Caps now. Cheers.

• thetruth1313 - Apr 26, 2012 at 7:11 AM

You will have to excuse BlowsForAll…he sort of has a fetish with Boston sports. He did post the same comment on the other sites too.

So I will copy/paste my response to one of his comments…

Well, well…what a suprise, a Boston sports article that has a comment from BlowsForAll. I just can see it how BlowsForAll thinks.

“Haha!!! I am going to check PFT for a Patriots article to call Tom Brady Tammy, haha..that will show Patriots fans…damn, no Patriots articles….I will check the baseball site, and call the Red Sox the Red Sux, that will show them!!!!…Damn, none posted yet. I will go to the basketball one and say how old the Celtics are and say KG is dirty.HA!!!….Then I will go to the hockey site and say how dirty the Bruins play!!!”

and repeat all day long…

Seeing that you recently defended the NY Giants, are a “fan” of the Lakers, a “fan” of LSU and also a Yankee “fan” (I am sure them winning recent championships have nothing to do with it). Are you waiting to see who wins the cup so you can be a “fan” of them next year until a new champion is crowned? Is that how it works?

2. vtdcfan - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM

a series for the record books! damn I think I need my blood pressure checked… 1 goal difference in every game. my poor heart can’t take it! Go CAPS!!

3. howardforvezina - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Closest team to Washington are the Canucks. Bleed red? :)

• bethgoesglobal - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:21 AM

dork.

cute actually, but dork.

actually, sounds like something I might say, smart a$$ :-)

4. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

No one should be surprised: the ‘experts’ pick the Caps haha. Well done Caps for shutting up the critics. For @ least one series…

• fullbagg - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Caps were 3-1 against the Bruins in the regular season. Why was anyone shocked? Holtby has played great, but the defense won this. The Caps blocked a ridiculous amount of shots. 41 more than the Bruins. Cheap shots talk is a joke. There was plenty to go around on both sides. The vision of Holtsby never flitching when Peverley fake to slash him. There was no way they were going to rattle him. In the AHL, there’s alot more abuse in the crease. Problem was many thought the rook had no chance.

• fullbagg - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Oh yeah! All you inbred punks going after Wards race? Shows you are nothing more than knuckle-dragging pigs.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches