Apr 25, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Quibble about strategic differences all you want, but it certainly didn’t seem like a mistake that the Boston Bruins and Washington Capitals series went a full seven games with the Caps winning Game 7 2-1 in OT. The Capitals won three out of four regular season games and stood toe-to-toe with Boston through six games, so Matt Hendricks‘ post-game comments to Katie Carrera don’t seem too brash.
“We played these guys tough for six games going into tonight,” Hendricks said. “We knew we could beat them.”
“I”m not surprised,” Alzner said. “No, I’m just kidding. It feels unbelievable.”
Caps owner Ted Leonsis is known for being one of the most accessible in the NHL, if not sports. He provided this honest and interesting account of the series.
“This certainly was the best, most competitive series since I’ve owned the team,” Leonsis said.
Leonsis isn’t being hyperbolic. After all, this is one of the most competitive series – at least statistically – in NHL history.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks