Apr 25, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The City of Edmonton has released some preliminary design images of the proposed new downtown arena to replace Rexall Place as the home of the Oilers.
According to the Canadian Press, the “city says the pictures are part of preliminary design work that provides a starting point for evaluating other options.”
In other words, there’s no guarantee the Oilers’ new rink will look like a big backwards P. Or if you’re looking from the opposite direction, a big lowercase b. Or from another direction, a gas-station nozzle. Not sure what it looks like from the fourth direction – an igloo?
The $450-million project is still $100 million short in funding commitments, and both the provincial and federal governments are ideologically opposed to subsidizing private businesses.
However, it’s unimaginable a new arena doesn’t get built somehow. No government wants to be the one that allows an NHL team to leave Canada. Might as well walk around punching voters in the face.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)