Apr 25, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The City of Edmonton has released some preliminary design images of the proposed new downtown arena to replace Rexall Place as the home of the Oilers.
According to the Canadian Press, the “city says the pictures are part of preliminary design work that provides a starting point for evaluating other options.”
In other words, there’s no guarantee the Oilers’ new rink will look like a big backwards P. Or if you’re looking from the opposite direction, a big lowercase b. Or from another direction, a gas-station nozzle. Not sure what it looks like from the fourth direction – an igloo?
The $450-million project is still $100 million short in funding commitments, and both the provincial and federal governments are ideologically opposed to subsidizing private businesses.
However, it’s unimaginable a new arena doesn’t get built somehow. No government wants to be the one that allows an NHL team to leave Canada. Might as well walk around punching voters in the face.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)