Apr 25, 2012, 6:27 PM EST
The City of Edmonton has released some preliminary design images of the proposed new downtown arena to replace Rexall Place as the home of the Oilers.
According to the Canadian Press, the “city says the pictures are part of preliminary design work that provides a starting point for evaluating other options.”
In other words, there’s no guarantee the Oilers’ new rink will look like a big backwards P. Or if you’re looking from the opposite direction, a big lowercase b. Or from another direction, a gas-station nozzle. Not sure what it looks like from the fourth direction – an igloo?
The $450-million project is still $100 million short in funding commitments, and both the provincial and federal governments are ideologically opposed to subsidizing private businesses.
However, it’s unimaginable a new arena doesn’t get built somehow. No government wants to be the one that allows an NHL team to leave Canada. Might as well walk around punching voters in the face.
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 0
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)