Apr 25, 2012, 10:31 PM EDT
Joel Ward hasn’t done much for the Washington Capitals since they paid him handsomely in hopes that he would replicate his 2011 playoff glories. Who knows how often he’ll justify his existence going forward, but GM George McPhee probably feels better about the investment after Ward won Game 7 in overtime with a 2-1 goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Capitals upset the defending champion Boston Bruins 4-3 in one of the closest series ever.
- Tim Thomas said this to Braden Holtby: “Great job, kid.” Are we watching a star in the making?
- Alex Ovechkin played just 16:25 of ice time. Can the Capitals go deep with their captain sitting on the bench more than he ever has in his career?
- More on that thought: is Dale Hunter crazy or crazy like a fox for the way he’s handling Ovechkin?
- Bruins fans chime in: how disappointing is this outcome after the Cup run and a dominant early season stretch? What needs to be tweaked?
- As the seventh seed, the Capitals will start the next round on the road. Their exact opponent hasn’t been determined yet, however, so let me ask: who would be the best and worst matchups for Washington in the semifinals?
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)