Apr 25, 2012, 10:31 PM EST
Joel Ward hasn’t done much for the Washington Capitals since they paid him handsomely in hopes that he would replicate his 2011 playoff glories. Who knows how often he’ll justify his existence going forward, but GM George McPhee probably feels better about the investment after Ward won Game 7 in overtime with a 2-1 goal.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Capitals upset the defending champion Boston Bruins 4-3 in one of the closest series ever.
- Tim Thomas said this to Braden Holtby: “Great job, kid.” Are we watching a star in the making?
- Alex Ovechkin played just 16:25 of ice time. Can the Capitals go deep with their captain sitting on the bench more than he ever has in his career?
- More on that thought: is Dale Hunter crazy or crazy like a fox for the way he’s handling Ovechkin?
- Bruins fans chime in: how disappointing is this outcome after the Cup run and a dominant early season stretch? What needs to be tweaked?
- As the seventh seed, the Capitals will start the next round on the road. Their exact opponent hasn’t been determined yet, however, so let me ask: who would be the best and worst matchups for Washington in the semifinals?
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)