Apr 25, 2012, 5:14 PM EDT
After playing coy with his goaltenders for the entire series, Florida Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen played it (somewhat) straight prior to Thursday’s Game 7 against the New Jersey Devils.
“If Jose [Theodore] is healthy, he’s going,” Dineen said after Wednesday’s practice. “I watched him for a few minutes and he looks pretty good out there this morning, so that’s encouraging for us.
“Theo’s been our go-to guy and if he’s available, he’ll be the one running with it.”
Even though it sounds like Theodore will be the guy, it’s doubtful Dineen’s comments will temper speculation about Thursday’s starter. The Panthers head coach has flip-flopped between goalies throughout this series — Theodore started Games 1-3, Clemmensen started Game 4, Theodore returned to start Game 5 but got hurt, forcing Clemmensen to start Game 6 — leading many to suggest Dineen’s latest assertion doesn’t really mean anything.
Of course, it’s hard to imagine him not playing Theodore if the 35-year-old is healthy. He was rock solid in Game 5, stopping all 30 shots faced for his first playoff shutout since 2004, looking far more solid than Clemmensen did in Game 6, especially on this tally from Devils forward Steve Bernier:
To be fair, Clemmensen did stop 39 of 42 shots in the overtime loss.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 2
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 27
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles