Apr 25, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
Dan Cleary was meant to be one of the Red Wings’ better secondary contributors on offense. After all we’ve seen him score big goals for Detroit and provide the Wings with scoring balance that makes them one of the better teams in the league.
As it turns out, Cleary’s 2011-12 season was marred thanks to some nasty knee problems.
Brendan Savage of mlive.com brings us the gory details of what kept Cleary from being a 20-goal man again this season.
“Well I’d hate to sprout [sic] off, but I have some significant issues going on,” Cleary said. “They’ll know more when they get in there, you know? There are a lot of different things in there.
“There are some tears in there, loose cartilage, some bone on bone, a lot of fluid – the build-up of fluid was a major issue, so hoping that we can get it resolved.
“I going to get the surgery done and hopefully just rehab it. Just have to go in and have surgery on it then just get on a maintenance program and it will be fine.”
Cleary also noted he had broken ribs in training camp. Somehow he managed to still play in 75 games this season. Can we get this guy a medal or something? Cleary goes in for left knee surgery next week.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)