Apr 25, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Representing your country must be a great honor, but it’s kind of tough to beat up on any player who decides to rest instead of playing in the World Hockey Championships.
That’s especially true for Sidney Crosby, who a) dealt with a brutal year and a half because of concussion issues and b) scored one of the most memorable goals in the history of Canada’s involvement in international competition. Still, there are some who question his decision, so Crosby addressed those reactions in this Canadian Press story.
“Typically, I’d be there in a second, but this isn’t a normal situation and this isn’t me trying to hide away from the world championships,” Crosby said. “I love playing for Team Canada. Anyone who is questioning that right now obviously doesn’t know me or aren’t thinking right.”
Let’s face it: if any national team can shake off the loss of Crosby, it’s Canada. The generic joke is that the country could often suit up three or more elite international teams, so excessive hand-wringing about Sid the Kid’s absence seems a little silly.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)