Apr 25, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
Representing your country must be a great honor, but it’s kind of tough to beat up on any player who decides to rest instead of playing in the World Hockey Championships.
That’s especially true for Sidney Crosby, who a) dealt with a brutal year and a half because of concussion issues and b) scored one of the most memorable goals in the history of Canada’s involvement in international competition. Still, there are some who question his decision, so Crosby addressed those reactions in this Canadian Press story.
“Typically, I’d be there in a second, but this isn’t a normal situation and this isn’t me trying to hide away from the world championships,” Crosby said. “I love playing for Team Canada. Anyone who is questioning that right now obviously doesn’t know me or aren’t thinking right.”
Let’s face it: if any national team can shake off the loss of Crosby, it’s Canada. The generic joke is that the country could often suit up three or more elite international teams, so excessive hand-wringing about Sid the Kid’s absence seems a little silly.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)