Apr 25, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Representing your country must be a great honor, but it’s kind of tough to beat up on any player who decides to rest instead of playing in the World Hockey Championships.
That’s especially true for Sidney Crosby, who a) dealt with a brutal year and a half because of concussion issues and b) scored one of the most memorable goals in the history of Canada’s involvement in international competition. Still, there are some who question his decision, so Crosby addressed those reactions in this Canadian Press story.
“Typically, I’d be there in a second, but this isn’t a normal situation and this isn’t me trying to hide away from the world championships,” Crosby said. “I love playing for Team Canada. Anyone who is questioning that right now obviously doesn’t know me or aren’t thinking right.”
Let’s face it: if any national team can shake off the loss of Crosby, it’s Canada. The generic joke is that the country could often suit up three or more elite international teams, so excessive hand-wringing about Sid the Kid’s absence seems a little silly.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 16
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 62
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)