Apr 25, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
The Vancouver Sun’s Iain MacIntyre isn’t outright calling for Kesler to be shipped out; he’s just saying it’s “not as unthinkable as it once seemed, given the season Kesler had, a no-trade clause in his contract that kicks in before next season, and the potential benefits to the Canucks of a multi-player windfall and the renewal of their image.”
That last part about the Canucks’ image might be the most interesting after Vancouver’s first-round loss to the Kings in which Kesler’s alleged diving created a cottage industry in GIF creation (see below, our favorite is the ducklings one.)
But is it really possible Kesler could be traded? Probably not.
As The Province’s Ben Kuzma writes, quality centers are hard to find – just ask the Leafs – and not too many have a Selke Trophy on their resumes.
If anything, the Canucks need to add more centers, not trade them away.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)