Columnist: It’s time to explore trading Patrick Kane

Apr 25, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT

Patrick Kane Getty Images

Whenever a high-profile team bows out of the playoffs, you’re bound to get some wild ideas from writers all over the place. In the case of Steve Rosenbloom of the Chicago Tribune, his big idea for the Chicago Blackhawks is to trade Patrick Kane.

Rosenbloom makes his case in his column and, as you might expect, it’s filled with very questionable ideas.

Kane’s goal production doesn’t match his hype or salary. Steven Stamkos had 60 this season and 45 and 51 in past seasons. Heck, Hawks castoff Radim Vrbata potted 35. Kane scored 30 goals. Once. And not this season.

But if Kane’s failure to match substance with style is a problem, there might be an even worse situation even if the Hawks tried to do something about it: I’d be afraid of what general manager Stan Bowman might do. Same goes if this has been the father and son outfit we all figured. Either way, the decisions coming out of Bowman’s office feel about one Alexander Karpovtsev shy of being a complete mess.

A Karpovtsev reference? That’s deep.

As for Kane, while he struggled to score goals against Phoenix, most everyone in Chicago did thanks to Mike Smith playing out of his mind in goal. Looking to ship out a top star in the league based on getting beat by a hot goalie is some real reactionary stuff.

Since he’s hot to compare Kane to Vrbata, Vrbata had as many goals as Kane did in the series (zero) and Kane out-assisted Vrbata 4-1. Hooray for small sample sizes.

The only reason Chicago should ship Patrick Kane out of town would be to land an absolute No. 1 goalie and let’s just say Roberto Luongo and Chicago don’t make for a nice mix and neither is Kane in Vancouver. Let’s just skip it entirely.

1. bearsnbills - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

He was one of the few players skating hard out there every shift, trying to make something happen. I would have him on my team anyway….I thought Chicago only dismantles their team after a Cup victory?

2. seahawkbias - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I absolutely hate the Blackhawks.
    They are my Canucks sworn enemy yet I would LOVE Patty on our team.

His game is awesome. Few guys can skate with his skill and nose for the goal while actually doing blue collar work along the boards when needed.

He is a nightmare to contain. I would think his trade value would be very high.

3. pone27 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Just an early start to keep the Blackhawks off-season alive.

Kaner is going no where. The only player I can see being moved would be Sharp, and thats because out of the top Hawks players, hes arguably the least popular.

Unless the Hawks can find a sick bargain for a goaltender, keep the top guys and re do the depth.

4. govtminion - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I literally laughed out loud at my desk at the part about going to Vancouver for Luongo. That would be EPIC!

• kitshky - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

ah ..Ha! I knew you were a fraud!

You should know you cant be posting on PHT and have a “desk” or a “job” … unless your desk is in your parents basement and by job you mean the effort it takes to create multiple accounts and update them all daily to lend credence to your immature ramblings..

(wait Im postin on PHT …damnit I’m a fraud!)

• govtminion - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Nah, just a soulless government automaton with nothing better to do in mid-day than sit in on phone meetings and watch teh internetz.

Also, you ARE my multiple account. Which makes this whole thing really creepy actually.

• kitshky - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Ha! .. ok that one almost made me spit coffee over the desk.

(I suppose I should stop making fun of the “soupcan army” kid … but it’s just so much fun!)

5. austav - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

he should be moved to buffalo for miller. they both need a change.

• tarotsujimoto74 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM

6. rob1986s - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Trust me Chicago, you want Roberto Luongo. What’s that? Cory Schneider? Nooo you don’t want him! He’s a ginger. You know who else is a ginger?

RAFFI TORRES

Enough said.

7. jrod691 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

we’ll give you marleau for him!

8. tangledupinblue12 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:42 AM

For those not from Chicago, let me just say that this is Steve Rosenbloom’s whole gig. He’s the area’s resident shock writer; he is always shocked — shocked! — at something that has happened, offended by something innocuous someone has done, or calling for a coach or player’s head. It’s how he make his living. But no one around here actually puts any stock into his idiot ramblings.

9. geografer1 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

It’s time to send Patrick Kane to rehab.

• bear654 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Columbus?

10. longbino - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Kane to Buffalo would make sense. He is originally from here and recently purchased a house. In moving Miller the Sabres would get a much needed goal scorer and still have decent goaltending

• austav - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

As a buffalo fan I’d love to see this happen. If i was a chicago fan it would take more than miller for me to get on board.

• billsin20xx - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM

OK, let’s suck it up and give them Miller plus 2 or 3 other players. A matter of fact they can have ANY three players off our roster except for Foligino and … forget that, make it any three players except only Foligino!

• realnostalgia - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Ryan miller – Age 31
      Patrick Kane – Age 23

Should never happen based on this a lone.

11. sprtsfan1 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Chicago will not trade Kaner. Blackhawks aren’t just about being a consistent contender (Rocky Wirtz Era), they are also about marketing. Kaner is one of the faces of this franchise. Going nowhere, sweet home Chicago for Kane.

12. tangentmechanic - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Dear Stan,

Do. Not. Trade. Kaner.

13. gloiober - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Rosenbloom is not a columnist. He is a blogger. His opinions are not those of Tribune Co. or your Chicago Area Nissan Dealers and your express written consent is laughable.

14. bcisleman - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Trade Kane. Yes, because teams often trade players who score SCGWGs…oh, wait… Seriously though, Kane’s numbers are less than impressive given his rep. Matt Moulson, for example, has been far more consistent these last three seasons and he is a 9th round pick. Hawk fans may be able to comment on Kane’s value to the team outside of the stats.

• realnostalgia - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:07 PM

people forget so fast what Kane has accomplished in the past 4 years. I wouldn’t say less than impressive stats.

2010-11 – 73 points tied 15th
      2009-10 – 88 points tied 9th
      2008-09 – 70 points tied 39th
      2008-07 – 72 points tied 28th *rookie season* (Calder Trophy)

303 points in his first 4 seasons. That ranks up there in the top 60 of all time.

I couldn’t find a list of points gained in first 5 seasons so I didn’t add this season but here are his numbers

2011-2012 – 66 points tied for 33rd

To be really honest Kaners stats are extremely better than Matt Moulson and are even more consistant. Kane even has a better +/-

15. lsxphotog - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

The problem with Kane, in my opinion, is his attitude. He thinks he’s great and after watching NHL36, my beliefs were confirmed. Also the slight disrespect toward captain Toews was not necessary. I don’t think it’s a case of him being lost in the system, you can see it when you watch him play games. He will hold onto the puck when he wants a goal – overlooking great scoring opportunities for teammate in the process. There might be a lot to be said that he has been overlooked for an alternate caption role. I think he’s a great player, but I do get a sense of immaturity. Trade him for what? Another netminder? His role on Chicago is an important one and he rounds out the offensive punishment the Hawks can roll out, but I think he needs to spend some time understanding Toews and Sharp are probably better players and he needs to find his role working with them, not around them. (He does assist on Sharp a lot.)

• hines86for6 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Exactly. Kane is a total punk.

Nice of him to stick around and shake hands after the Yotes closed em out.

O wait…

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:51 PM

hines: After the Buffalo cabbie incident, I had little respect for Kane the man, but in the game I watched on Monday, he was banished with a 10-min. misconduct at 17:10 of the 3rd, but did not head for the shower. And I did see him return to the ice for the handshakes, which I think was very classy since he had every reason to skip it!

16. xaf605 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Tradin kaner taner is just nonsense

17. icelovinbrotha215 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Let’s make this right: JVR for Patty K. Straight up.

18. hockeyflow33 - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Didn’t he just score the Cup winning goal two years ago”

Honestly, the majority of these hockey columnists are absolute morons who have never played the sport

19. predsboy18 - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM

If Stan wants to trade Kane, I’m sure there are 29 GMs that will be lining up to put in offers. Not gonna happen. This guy is using only stats, but watch Kane, he’s an incredibly talented player, and is only getting better. I’m not a Hawks fan by any means, but I have to respect what he does out there, and I would be more than happy to see him play in Nashville!

20. biasedhomer - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM

They could get a deal better than the Jeff Carter/Mike Richards trades.

Maybe even as good as the Kessel deal.

I’d say a lottery team’s top prospect, lottery pick, and a young 2nd line winger with potential for more.

21. realnostalgia - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:54 PM

All these articles about trading Patrick Kane are ridiculous. There are stats and stats proving that Kane has the potential to be one of the best players ever to play. This is based on his current scoring in his first 5 seasons is up there in the top 60 of all time. Kaner is one of the best players on the Ice every night. If you can’t get 1st round 1st overall talent in return…. which Stan won’t get… there is no point in trading a player with so much potential.

22. paperkid96 - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Never say Never. There was a guy named Wayne Gretzky. Maybe you’ve heard of him. TRADED! Not saying the circumstances are even close to being the same but this is business. If trading Kane makes the team better then you have to know that Scotty is telling Stan to trade him.

Scotty was trying to trade Steve Yzerman when he was in Detroit. So, i’m pretty sure Kane isn’t off limits.

By the way Pavelski puts up similar number for the sharks and makes $2 million less.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches