Bruins coach: “Everybody’s upset; Everybody’s quiet”

Apr 25, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT

capsandkrejcigetty Getty Images

For the second playoff year in a row, the defending champions fell in the overtime of a Game 7. In this case, it was the Boston Bruins, who tumbled 2-1 in OT against the Washington Capitals. Bruins coach Claude Julien had a lot to say about the defeat, beginning with the mood in the locker room.

“Everybody’s upset. Everybody’s quiet … a lot of emotions,” Julien said. “It was a challenging year for our guys and it was a challenging series as well. We lost three out of four games at home. [You] can’t expect to win a series when that happens. We lost home ice advantage.”

It’s easy to at the series from a hyper-literal perspective: the defending champions and second seed lost to the second-to-last playoff team in the East. That dismisses the heady expectations the Capitals brought into this season – not to mention the talent on their roster. Julien was complimentary of his opponents in that regard.

“Let’s not forget to give Washington a lot of credit,” Julien said. “I don’t believe they are a seventh-place team. They’re playing some great hockey right now.”

Both teams have their differences, but considering the Capitals’ notably single-minded defensive approach, it wouldn’t be surprising if Julien saw a little of his Bruins in Washington. It’s unlikely that will do much to numb the pain of a very close Game 7 loss, though.

1. bozosforall - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Boston CHOKES yet again! First the Red Sox last fall, then the Pats this winter, now the Bruins this spring…next the Celtics this summer…or sooner.

City of CHOKERS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• briandstraw - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Dude. You’re pretty lame.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Not near as lame as any New England sports fan. Funny that when you guys were on top, it never bothered any of you that so many of your fans acted like I am acting right now. Clean up your own backyard before you come at me. Sucks when the tables are turned, don’t it?

• crmgoodness - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Wow…there’s a little saying “act like you’ve been there before…”

Calling the most successful sports city in the past decade a city of chokers identifies you as an intellectual null.

I understand that success breeds contempt…apparently failure breeds stupidity….

Congrats to the Caps and their real fans. Big series win that was deserved.

• gunnyhighway88 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I hate being associated with those kinds of “fans”.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:33 AM

So funny that when Boston teams were winning that so many of your fellow fans couldn’t follow your sage advice…and doubly funny that you weren’t there admonishing them in the same way that you are trying to do to me now. I wonder why

• crmgoodness - Apr 26, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Whatever helps you rationalize typing ha ha’s with caps lock on I guess…Just curious though…

If New England sports fans are so lame then why are you by your own admission emulating them?

• davidpcoelho - Apr 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I am a Caps fan…and I do not care for Boston teams…but…I would gladly of traded this win last night for a Stanley Cup last year. Some fans are just idiots.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Get over it you were not a dynasty were not gonna be a dynasty and caught lightning in a bottle last year and won a cup!
      NOW GIT !

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM

True. Boston needs to STHU.

• thetruth1313 - Apr 26, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Well, well…what a suprise, a Boston sports article that has a comment from BlowsForAll. I just can see it how BlowsForAll thinks.

“Haha!!! I am going to check PFT for a Patriots article to call Tom Brady Tammy, haha..that will show Patriots fans…damn, no Patriots articles….I will check the baseball site, and call the Red Sox the Red Sux, that will show them!!!!…Damn, none posted yet. I will go to the basketball one and say how old the Celtics are and say KG is dirty.HA!!!….Then I will go to the hockey site and say how dirty the Bruins play!!!”

and repeat all day long…

Seeing that you recently defended the NY Giants, are a “fan” of the Lakers, a “fan” of LSU and also a Yankee “fan” (I am sure them winning recent championships have nothing to do with it). Are you waiting to see who wins the cup so you can be a “fan” of them next year until a new champion is crowned? Is that how it works?

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM

How it “works” is that you loser Boston fans who have repeatedly cried about how the Yankees have dominated your Red Sox forever, then proceeded to act like the jerks that you all are when your teams finally got a taste of success, will now learn how to take your medicine now that your teams are once again failing. STHU, crybaby.

• thetruth1313 - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Mister Tough Guy behind the computer monitor. Thats BlowsForAll. I incline you to look for a post that I “cried” over when one of the teams I root for has lost. Get back to me when you find one little man.

But on a side note- I do feel sad…for you. Pathetic little troll commenting on Boston sports every single day. It must be a sad lonely life you live. Mommy and Daddy lied to you saying you would grow up to be someone special. We all see how that turned out. Well good luck to you, I will be waiting to see if you can find something.

• govtminion - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:22 PM

So, what you’re saying is that you’re enjoying acting like the people you hate so much?

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Enjoy? Not necessarily…what I do enjoy is pointing out the hypocrisy that they show when complaining about my comments while saying nothing about their fellow fans doing the same thing. That is what I enjoy.

2. johnnymags21 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Well, Boston fans, there’s always the Red Sox. Right, Trigger?

• getlockedout - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:01 AM

too soon

3. xxshookonexx - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Bah

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM

One can never be too sure about these things, but I’m beginning to get the unmistakable feeling that this year’s Cup Final might not be a rematch of last year’s. OK, silly, but we do know now that it won’t be the rematch of ANY year’s Final. Indeed, in the West, only the Kings and Blues have ever been to the Final, and in four such tries, have won a total of one game.

4. gunnyhighway88 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM

What a series. I’m pretty sure it shaved off 10 years of my life. Bruins fans shouldn’t be too worried about their team. They have a lot of great talent and will more than likely make a run again next year. Go Caps!

5. letsgosjsharks - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Good! I hate it when teams repeat! But i shouldnt be talking lol! SAN JOSE SHARKS 4 LIFE!

6. sjsharks66 - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I respect julien. Great coach! If it was torts he would be complaining about the refs or how dirty the other team is.

7. howardforvezina - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Umm, Duh

8. vtdcfan - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Caps fans, please act right. yes we won but there was a moment in the first minute of ot where things could have gone horrribly wrong. we beat the defending champs, but damn just getting outta the first round is an accomplishment. as Ron Burgundy would say, STAY CLASSY DC! Go Caps!

sincerly
    Ron Burgundy

9. rainyday56 - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Julien: “mo’ Di’! Now I’ll probably have to coach the Habs again. Merde!”

10. bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Too bad the fans won’t STAY quiet though. That would be a miracle.

• patsfiend - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Get off the hockey boards, turd. You don’t even root for a team, and you should look and see that you’re actually giving Caps fans a bad name. Nobody has less class than you, btw, and nobody (ever!) laid a bigger choke job than your Yankees in 2004.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:35 AM

The biggest choke job of them all was the 86 years that the LARGE market Red Sox couldn’t win a title, that despite Tom Yawkey raiding the Philly A’s back in the 30s and spending like a fool but getting no return on his investment. Pretending that a week’s worth of losing by the Yankees in 2004 is more of a choke than 86 years of sucking is typical of the delusion that you idiot New Englanders have regarding everything in your miserable lives.

• patsfiend - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Biggest collapse in the history of professional sports in north america, bud, and it happened on Steinbrenner’s watch. Read ‘em and weep, and I’ll continue to feel all warm inside about it.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Biggest collapse in the history of professional sports in north america was the Red Sox collapse last fall. A whole month (as opposed to just a week) to right the ship but they couldn’t even win one more game. SEVEN WS titles also happened on Steinbrenner’s watch, nearly four times as much as Jerk Henry and Tom Whiner have won in their entire lifetimes. I’ll continue to feel all warm about that, not to mention the 27-7 overall WS title lead that the Yankees enjoy over their loser neighbors to the north. New York wins over Boston…as usual (just like the last two Super Bowls that matched up New York and New England teams). Read that and weep, putzfiend.

• patsfiend - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:39 PM

No team has ever even allowed a game 6 when they were up 4-0. Ever, in the history of baseball, the oldest professional major sport in the U.S. Your team, front runner crybaby, not only allowed game 6, but lost game 7 (crushed, tail between their legs, just like your Lakers) in their own house. Perhaps it was these defeats to great Boston teams that fuels your tiring trolling comments across the Boston boards… but I think it’s something deeper than that, considering the new lows you sunk to last night, after the Bruins lost.

In any case, the Yankees own the biggest choke ever, bigger then ’86 Sox, and bigger than last year’s Sox, who weren’t going anywhere anyway. Just remember that when you are quoting your “27 Championships.”

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Keep on dreaming, putzfiend. I’ll gladly take my 27 championships (particularly the 7 that I’ve personally witnessed) over the 86 years of futility that generations of bitter New Englanders dwelled upon for nearly a century. That one week in 2004 was a small price to pay to be a member of the greatest fan base of the greatest sports franchise in North America. And as for last year’s Red Sox, they were almost unanimously considered the favorite before the season started…so much for your total mischaracterization of them not going anywhere. All of those years of futility have continually fueled the New England attitude towards sports and towards themselves. Bad losers and bad winners, unable to keep their drunken mouths shut, whether whining or gloating about things that they had nothing to do with accomplishing. Boston is the biggest joke of a city in America. Vastly overrated and eternally second-best to New York City (LA and Chicago as well). And as far as “new lows”, I’d say that title goes to the hordes of racist Bostonians who went on Twitter to bash the Caps hero, Ward, with their predictably racist tweets. Just remember that when you dwell on your team’s fleeting moment in 2004.

• patsfiend - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Pretty hypocritical coming from someone who has spewed plenty of hate on the SEC college boards, I think. Hate to tell you, but by almost any measure, Boston is one of the best cities in the country, its teams are historical and successful, and its fans are intensely committed to their teams. Boston, S.F., Seattle… all pretty similar. L.A., Chicago, NYC, different places entirely, with plenty of their own dooshy fans, for sure.

When did you decide to be a Lakers fan? Was it before or after you picked the Yankees, front runner? Did you like their colors? Sorry you do not have a place / region to call home and relate to, as it’s pretty fulfilling. That’s what you get when you abandon your home teams to follow winners, exclusively, like you do.

I wonder what other screen name you use to comment on your NFL team that you follow? Clearly, since they are not winning, you’ve decided to lay low, and come on the Boston boards (commenting on 100 articles this week! What a loser!) and kick REAL fans of a very respectable team like the BRUINS in the face only minutes after a loss in a highly competitive series. You are a gutless weasel, and the worst kind of internet troll.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

The only gutless weasels I see on the Internet are you Boston losers. As far as what I post on the SEC boards, it is in direct response to the hatred that the fans of other conferences have spewed at them first..much like what Boston gets in return for the tons of hate that they have spewed towards the Yankee fan base for as long as anyone can remember.

And as for “abandoning home teams”, don’t comment about what you don’t know. FYI, I was born in New York state and became a Yankee fan long before I moved to Southern California as a kid, where I became a Lakers fan. No football teams there, so no “hometown” team to root for. And since there is no law or other rule that states that one HAS to root for all of the teams of a particular region, your idiotic criticism of fans whose teams are not all in one geographic region is not only ignorant but also reeks of Communism. If you really want to bash someone for abandoning their “home team”, maybe you can call out native Bostonian columnist Bill Simmons for dumping the Bruins way back in 2002. Have fun with that one, putzfiend.

• patsfiend - Apr 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Please. You post hate and nonsense in response to NOTHING, all the time. You even stoop to copy and pasting the same lame posts over multiple articles to which they don’t even apply. You’re not even a hockey fan, and you came to this article just to rub people’s noses in it after a hard loss, you P.O.S.

Your argument that Boston fans are any worse than Lakers or Yankees fan holds no weight whatsoever. I’ve personally seen the “crybaby” Boston fans putting up with your nonsense all over these boards with what I consider to be an amazing amount of patience and good will, considering your blind, thoughtless provocations. I could find THOUSANDS of unprovoked attacks from you not only on Boston boards where you don’t belong but also on SEC articles where you insult people’s intelligence and upbringing almost daily.

I too, moved west, just like you, and just like Simmons. Like Simmons, I stuck with my teams. Simmons, like you, is not a big hockey fan… is it really possible to be a “super fan” of all sports at once and still have a life? No, it’s not, and you are proof of that. I’ll be happy that Simmons has provided me with some of the best articles and funniest pieces I’ve ever read, in the mean time, including some way-over-your-head analysis of your blessed Lakers, including admitting on several occasions how great Kobe and Magic have been. Maybe you should follow suit and fess up to your adoration of Tammy, who along with Peyton is without question the best QB of the last 20 years.

Somewhere along the way, when you moved, you bailed on many NY teams, bud, like the Nets or Knicks (easier rooting for the Lakers, right?) or perhaps the Jets and Giants… maybe you bailed on the Raiders or Rams, both loser teams (lately) when they (or you) left L.A. The Raiders would make sense, actually, given your hate for the Pats. Either way, you bailed, way more than Simmons or I have done. And at least Simmons admits he bailed on the B’s for a while, while you can’t even admit your football team, for God’s sake.

Yeah, my “Mommy” told me to root for the Sox. You’re right… and so did my grandparents, uncles, and cousins. It’s awesome, and it will be that way until I’m dead. I will try my best to brainwash my kids, too, a la Simmons. That’s what loving your team (and not necessarily hating the other teams) is all about. I put my Sox cap in my grandmother’s casket a couple years ago, having spent so much time watching them with her. I think about that, sometimes, when I see your posts, and it pisses me off. In your teenage parlance, in those moments, you “own” me… maybe the same way the Yanks “owned” Pedro, except the 2004 ALCS happened, didn’t it. :-)

All that hate and nonsense isn’t going to get you anywhere. You’re better off respecting your opponents like the Sox and Celtics… the sports world is more interesting with rivalries.

Ah, enough. This will be my last response to you.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I’ll bet that this last reply won’t be your last. Nice to see that you did so much research on my past posts though, which further proves that you are a chump who can’t take any criticism. And as for “bailing” on teams, if one was never a fan of a team (such as the Knicks, Jets or Giants), then one can never really be considered to have “bailed” on them. Having a twisted sense of loyalty to the place where one was born (which in and of itself is a chance occurence, nothing more) has got to be the stupidest reason to root for any team (but to each his own). I have always rooted for the Yankees and have always rooted for the Lakers, with no other team having ever taken their places as my favorites. Too bad you can’t grasp the fact that there are many fans who pick teams as they go along, regardless of the geographic region that they purport to represent. Short-sighted, like most native New Englanders, I see. And Simmons was a “die-hard” Bruins fan, not the casual fan that you try and paint him as. He BAILED on his team, only jumping back on the bandwagon once they got good again…which seems to be a common trait among New England sports fans. And I’m surprised that your exhaustive research of my past posts didn’t yield the football team that I used to follow…but I’ll repeat it for you, as well as the reason why I quit following them. It’s another California team, but not the Raiders (though I have nothing against them). I used to follow the Niners (whom I started watching because LA no longer had a team) but quit once the Yorks took over. I freely admit that I dislike the Yorks and won’t root for the Niners until they are no longer involved in the ownership. I will just wait until LA gets a new NFL team in order to cultivate a new fan interest in a particular NFL team (which should partially satisfy your twisted idea of how fans should pick teams to root for). And as for respecting opponents, when I see New Englanders repenting for all those years spent disrespecting the Yankees out of jealousy that New York was the far superior franchise, then maybe I’ll reciprocate in kind. Don’t hold your breath on that one, though, since I doubt that most New Englanders will ever do so. You might want to discuss all those years of hate and nonsense that your fellow New Englanders directed towards New York with your fellow fans up there before you even try to call anyone else out. Otherwise, continue living in your fantasy world.

• patsfiend - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Fair enough. I’ll reply since you were coherent in yours, so you’re right on that bet.

The Niners, another former dynasty… that actually does fit in with your rooting interest of picking only the best teams. It does not surprise me that you would go in that direction, assuming this choice happened in the 80’s or 90’s, over the Rams or Raiders. IMO, soon you will be rooting for the L.A. Chargers. Your logic in “picking” teams as opposed to inheriting them is fine, but you have to admit, you are a huge front runner! Yankees, Lakers, and Niners? C’mon, man! (I’ll save you some trouble in NHL, just pick the Canadiens.)

You might remember the long standing ovation the Yankees got at Fenway after 9/11… there is more respect between the Yanks / Sox and their fans than hate, and the media (and these boards) always magnify the few idiots / haters / racists, just like is happening right now with the jerks that tweeted Ward (and will be picked up by the media, who are always waiting to get a Boston “racism!” story, just like they are waiting on “Red Sox clubhouse is a mess!” stories.) It’s sad what happens and is said/done in stadiums now, but that is by no means limited to Boston, or the east coast (see Dodgers / your Niners / and the god-awful Raiders games.)

I think your concept of “repenting” is the one that is pretty frickin’ warped… perhaps you were a choir boy? If so, my apologies. Besides Sox / Yanks, you chose the Lakers (and the Celtics)… one of the other most bitter and long-standing rivalries in sports. Perhaps you’d like to “repent” for all the Lakers jerks that don’t properly “respect” the indisputable fact that the Celtics had long been (for 40 years) the superior franchise, much like the Yankees, the premier franchise in the sport. I think I feel disrespected by Lakers fans, and you must repent, Bozo! Only then will I respect your purple fan base! That sounds pretty silly, doesn’t it?

And, look, your posting at the top of this article is just such a jerk-off move. You are not exactly building respect for your fan base(s) with that kind of crap.

• bozosforall - Apr 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM

must be lonely up on that ivory tower of yours. And the Lakers were the first superior team…as well as the most recent one. The Boston fan base is a joke. Hiding when things are bad (in the 90s) and only coming back out in the last decade. Also, I knew that your sorry arse couldn’t stay away, you loser. The joke is on you.

11. vincentbojackson - Apr 26, 2012 at 5:30 AM

This is probably for the better. Tim Thomas won’t have to worry about Obama inviting him to the White House again.

• 8man - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I’m a little glum about the Bs losing, but this made me laugh.

12. daveothebraveo85 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:42 AM

So nice to make it to the second round again. So nice to see a team advance that was starting to worry fans with what appeared to be a complete lack of dedication and heart. Despite locker room issues, trade rumors, coaching changes and losing streaks they still managed to fight like warriors against a fierce opponent and move on. Can’t wait for the next round of drama to begin. B’s fans.. you’re annoying as sh*t, blind and terrible at times, but your fiercely loyal and outspoken and it’s always fun to match wits and go toe to toe with you. I don’t like you, but I respect you. Your team gave us a hell of a run. You and your team were a real rewarding challenge to overcome and I’m sure we’ll see eachother again in the playoffs next year. Thanks for a really exciting series, hopefully you’ll be able to get behind us through this next round and hopefully more. HAIL ERSKINE. HAIL HENDRICKS. HAIL CAPS!

13. bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM

crmgoodness – Apr 26, 2012 at 5:48 AM

__
    Because sometimes one has to give others a taste of their own medicine…otherwise they never learn life lessons. Doesn’t make me lame in the least, crmgobbler. You ever hear the saying “payback is a b—-“?

• 2dollarpbrs - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Lessons form Bozo

Are you a life coach??

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I just calls ‘em as I sees ‘em.

• amaf21 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM

“crmgobbler” = pwned

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Indeed.

• hairpie - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You want to really own him, ask him to explain the logic of retroactively tainting championships or what the benefit of taping something in front of 70,000 fans is. LOL

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

You would have to ask Bill Belichick about the benefit of illegally taping from the sidelines, since he devoted extensive amounts of labor to having it done in every single game from 2000 to 2007. Either he is the dumbest coach in NFL history or he was gaining an unfair advantage from cheating in that manner. My bet is on the latter.

As for retroactively tainting championships, the taint comes from the use of the information gleaned from illegally filming every game since 2000, something that he admitted to when he turned over the corresponding tapes to Roger Goodell, who then promptly destroyed them as a favor to his butt buddy Robert Kraft. Only ignorant buffoons such as yourself pretend that the tape of the Jets game when he got busted was the only illegally-filmed tape that he produced.

hairpie..it is you who have been owned.

14. Buffalo Grumblings - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM

You are the defending Cup champions in a game 7 in your building. You are supposed to win. But you didn’t. Now we just have to see Philadelphia get eliminated and all is good again in the NHL.

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Looks like a huge CHOKE to me.

• 2dollarpbrs - Apr 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Have you even watched a single period of hockey????

• bozosforall - Apr 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I watched all three periods of hockey last night, plus the OT. The Bruins CHOKED. They had a power play gifted to them with two minutes or so left and they couldn’t score. CHOKE.

Every game in the series was close, the Bruins were supposed to be so superior, more talented, playoff tested…yet they CHOKED when they had the chance to put the Caps away. Too bad you are too blind to see it.

15. amaf21 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Dale Hunter got this team on lockdown. Shoulda done away with that fat, old guy after we choked the first time. Also, the format on PFT is way better than this.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches