Apr 24, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Red Wings fans might still be sore about seeing their team ousted in the first round by the Nashville Predators, but they might have a reason to love Preds coach Barry Trotz.
During the Red Wings pack up day at Joe Louis Arena, team captain Nicklas Lidstrom met with the media and confirmed a story that was rumored to be true after the game and handshakes ended. When it came time for Lidstrom to shake hands with the Predators coach, Trotz shook hands with Lidstrom and said, “Please don’t retire.”
Lidstrom’s career as one of the best defensemen in NHL history means a lot to many people and seeing a guy put in his time the way he does catches everyone’s eye, especially a coach who’s been trying to find ways to shut him down for years.
Of course, Lidstrom has yet to decide if he’ll return next season or not but you’d have to think with the Winter Classic on its way to Detroit and a first-round playoff exit he’ll have the itch to give it one more go. Barry Trotz just better be careful about what he wishes for. Lidstrom says he’ll likely make that decision before the Wings hit free agency on July 1.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)