Apr 24, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Red Wings fans might still be sore about seeing their team ousted in the first round by the Nashville Predators, but they might have a reason to love Preds coach Barry Trotz.
During the Red Wings pack up day at Joe Louis Arena, team captain Nicklas Lidstrom met with the media and confirmed a story that was rumored to be true after the game and handshakes ended. When it came time for Lidstrom to shake hands with the Predators coach, Trotz shook hands with Lidstrom and said, “Please don’t retire.”
Lidstrom’s career as one of the best defensemen in NHL history means a lot to many people and seeing a guy put in his time the way he does catches everyone’s eye, especially a coach who’s been trying to find ways to shut him down for years.
Of course, Lidstrom has yet to decide if he’ll return next season or not but you’d have to think with the Winter Classic on its way to Detroit and a first-round playoff exit he’ll have the itch to give it one more go. Barry Trotz just better be careful about what he wishes for. Lidstrom says he’ll likely make that decision before the Wings hit free agency on July 1.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5