Apr 24, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Red Wings fans might still be sore about seeing their team ousted in the first round by the Nashville Predators, but they might have a reason to love Preds coach Barry Trotz.
During the Red Wings pack up day at Joe Louis Arena, team captain Nicklas Lidstrom met with the media and confirmed a story that was rumored to be true after the game and handshakes ended. When it came time for Lidstrom to shake hands with the Predators coach, Trotz shook hands with Lidstrom and said, “Please don’t retire.”
Lidstrom’s career as one of the best defensemen in NHL history means a lot to many people and seeing a guy put in his time the way he does catches everyone’s eye, especially a coach who’s been trying to find ways to shut him down for years.
Of course, Lidstrom has yet to decide if he’ll return next season or not but you’d have to think with the Winter Classic on its way to Detroit and a first-round playoff exit he’ll have the itch to give it one more go. Barry Trotz just better be careful about what he wishes for. Lidstrom says he’ll likely make that decision before the Wings hit free agency on July 1.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 16
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)