Apr 24, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Red Wings fans might still be sore about seeing their team ousted in the first round by the Nashville Predators, but they might have a reason to love Preds coach Barry Trotz.
During the Red Wings pack up day at Joe Louis Arena, team captain Nicklas Lidstrom met with the media and confirmed a story that was rumored to be true after the game and handshakes ended. When it came time for Lidstrom to shake hands with the Predators coach, Trotz shook hands with Lidstrom and said, “Please don’t retire.”
Lidstrom’s career as one of the best defensemen in NHL history means a lot to many people and seeing a guy put in his time the way he does catches everyone’s eye, especially a coach who’s been trying to find ways to shut him down for years.
Of course, Lidstrom has yet to decide if he’ll return next season or not but you’d have to think with the Winter Classic on its way to Detroit and a first-round playoff exit he’ll have the itch to give it one more go. Barry Trotz just better be careful about what he wishes for. Lidstrom says he’ll likely make that decision before the Wings hit free agency on July 1.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)