Apr 24, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Red Wings fans might still be sore about seeing their team ousted in the first round by the Nashville Predators, but they might have a reason to love Preds coach Barry Trotz.
During the Red Wings pack up day at Joe Louis Arena, team captain Nicklas Lidstrom met with the media and confirmed a story that was rumored to be true after the game and handshakes ended. When it came time for Lidstrom to shake hands with the Predators coach, Trotz shook hands with Lidstrom and said, “Please don’t retire.”
Lidstrom’s career as one of the best defensemen in NHL history means a lot to many people and seeing a guy put in his time the way he does catches everyone’s eye, especially a coach who’s been trying to find ways to shut him down for years.
Of course, Lidstrom has yet to decide if he’ll return next season or not but you’d have to think with the Winter Classic on its way to Detroit and a first-round playoff exit he’ll have the itch to give it one more go. Barry Trotz just better be careful about what he wishes for. Lidstrom says he’ll likely make that decision before the Wings hit free agency on July 1.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)