Apr 24, 2012, 1:06 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks can pin a lot of blame on Corey Crawford‘s struggles. Joel Quenneville pointed to Marian Hossa‘s injury. Still, any losing team ultimately must look to the mirror and Jonathan Toews told Adam Jahns about his regrets.
“It’s disappointing for this group,” Toews said. “We had so much more than we ended up showing.”
If you want to spread the blame beyond Raffi Torres‘ controversial hit and Crawford’s softies, chastising the power play is a good direction to go in. Despite being loaded with high-end talent (Hossa or not), the Blackhawks went 1-for-19 on the man advantage in the series. Here’s what Toews told Jesse Rogers about it:
“A lot of skill out there and we couldn’t get it done,” Toews said. “It was kind of that way all season and we can’t just come into the playoffs and expect to turn on the switch.”
In a way, that “turn on the switch” argument might be trotted out quite a bit in regard to the Blackhawks’ late comebacks. To some, that might signify that Chicago didn’t put things together until they absolutely have to – and eventually couldn’t reach the switch in Game 6.*
The most haunting thing might be their home record in the series, though: 0-3. Quenneville’s reaction to that was simple and succinct: “That’s brutal.”
It’s also one of the reasons why Toews & Co. enter the summer with a feeling of regret.
* – I do not feel this way.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 25
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)