Apr 24, 2012, 1:06 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks can pin a lot of blame on Corey Crawford‘s struggles. Joel Quenneville pointed to Marian Hossa‘s injury. Still, any losing team ultimately must look to the mirror and Jonathan Toews told Adam Jahns about his regrets.
“It’s disappointing for this group,” Toews said. “We had so much more than we ended up showing.”
If you want to spread the blame beyond Raffi Torres‘ controversial hit and Crawford’s softies, chastising the power play is a good direction to go in. Despite being loaded with high-end talent (Hossa or not), the Blackhawks went 1-for-19 on the man advantage in the series. Here’s what Toews told Jesse Rogers about it:
“A lot of skill out there and we couldn’t get it done,” Toews said. “It was kind of that way all season and we can’t just come into the playoffs and expect to turn on the switch.”
In a way, that “turn on the switch” argument might be trotted out quite a bit in regard to the Blackhawks’ late comebacks. To some, that might signify that Chicago didn’t put things together until they absolutely have to – and eventually couldn’t reach the switch in Game 6.*
The most haunting thing might be their home record in the series, though: 0-3. Quenneville’s reaction to that was simple and succinct: “That’s brutal.”
It’s also one of the reasons why Toews & Co. enter the summer with a feeling of regret.
* – I do not feel this way.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)