Apr 24, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Now that the three finalists for GM of the Year have been announced, it’s your turn to vote on who should win.
Unfortunately, your vote won’t count, as the winner’s actually decided by a panel consisting of all 30 NHL general managers, plus five league executive and five members of the media.
But clicking on polls is fun, so just do it.
The candidates to succeed Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks:
David Poile, Nashville Predators
Signed Pekka Rinne. Traded for Andrei Kostitsyn, Paul Gaustad and Hal Gill. Brought back Alexander Radulov from Russia. If the Preds beat Phoenix, they’ll advance to the Western Conference finals for the first time in franchise history.
Doug Armstrong, St. Louis Blues
Fired Davis Payne and hired Ken Hitchcock, the favorite to win coach of the year. Picked goalie Brian Elliott off the scrapheap and watched him start 36 games and finish with a GAA of 1.56. Added veterans like Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner to complement a young lineup.
Dale Tallon, Florida Panthers
Was forced to spend/commit millions over the summer to get above the salary cap floor. Which sounds easy in theory, but when everyone else knows it, it’s hard to get very good deals. Among his moves that are paying dividends in the playoffs, Tallon traded for Brian Campbell and the defenseman’s enormous contract; he acquired Kris Versteeg from Philadelphia; he signed Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim, Scottie Upshall, and Marcel Goc; and he acquired Mikael Samuelsson from Vancouver while unloading David Booth’s big contract.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)