Apr 24, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Now that the three finalists for GM of the Year have been announced, it’s your turn to vote on who should win.
Unfortunately, your vote won’t count, as the winner’s actually decided by a panel consisting of all 30 NHL general managers, plus five league executive and five members of the media.
But clicking on polls is fun, so just do it.
The candidates to succeed Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks:
David Poile, Nashville Predators
Signed Pekka Rinne. Traded for Andrei Kostitsyn, Paul Gaustad and Hal Gill. Brought back Alexander Radulov from Russia. If the Preds beat Phoenix, they’ll advance to the Western Conference finals for the first time in franchise history.
Doug Armstrong, St. Louis Blues
Fired Davis Payne and hired Ken Hitchcock, the favorite to win coach of the year. Picked goalie Brian Elliott off the scrapheap and watched him start 36 games and finish with a GAA of 1.56. Added veterans like Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner to complement a young lineup.
Dale Tallon, Florida Panthers
Was forced to spend/commit millions over the summer to get above the salary cap floor. Which sounds easy in theory, but when everyone else knows it, it’s hard to get very good deals. Among his moves that are paying dividends in the playoffs, Tallon traded for Brian Campbell and the defenseman’s enormous contract; he acquired Kris Versteeg from Philadelphia; he signed Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim, Scottie Upshall, and Marcel Goc; and he acquired Mikael Samuelsson from Vancouver while unloading David Booth’s big contract.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54