Apr 24, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Now that the three finalists for GM of the Year have been announced, it’s your turn to vote on who should win.
Unfortunately, your vote won’t count, as the winner’s actually decided by a panel consisting of all 30 NHL general managers, plus five league executive and five members of the media.
But clicking on polls is fun, so just do it.
The candidates to succeed Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks:
David Poile, Nashville Predators
Signed Pekka Rinne. Traded for Andrei Kostitsyn, Paul Gaustad and Hal Gill. Brought back Alexander Radulov from Russia. If the Preds beat Phoenix, they’ll advance to the Western Conference finals for the first time in franchise history.
Doug Armstrong, St. Louis Blues
Fired Davis Payne and hired Ken Hitchcock, the favorite to win coach of the year. Picked goalie Brian Elliott off the scrapheap and watched him start 36 games and finish with a GAA of 1.56. Added veterans like Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner to complement a young lineup.
Dale Tallon, Florida Panthers
Was forced to spend/commit millions over the summer to get above the salary cap floor. Which sounds easy in theory, but when everyone else knows it, it’s hard to get very good deals. Among his moves that are paying dividends in the playoffs, Tallon traded for Brian Campbell and the defenseman’s enormous contract; he acquired Kris Versteeg from Philadelphia; he signed Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim, Scottie Upshall, and Marcel Goc; and he acquired Mikael Samuelsson from Vancouver while unloading David Booth’s big contract.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22