Apr 24, 2012, 12:08 PM EDT
Now that the three finalists for GM of the Year have been announced, it’s your turn to vote on who should win.
Unfortunately, your vote won’t count, as the winner’s actually decided by a panel consisting of all 30 NHL general managers, plus five league executive and five members of the media.
But clicking on polls is fun, so just do it.
The candidates to succeed Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks:
David Poile, Nashville Predators
Signed Pekka Rinne. Traded for Andrei Kostitsyn, Paul Gaustad and Hal Gill. Brought back Alexander Radulov from Russia. If the Preds beat Phoenix, they’ll advance to the Western Conference finals for the first time in franchise history.
Doug Armstrong, St. Louis Blues
Fired Davis Payne and hired Ken Hitchcock, the favorite to win coach of the year. Picked goalie Brian Elliott off the scrapheap and watched him start 36 games and finish with a GAA of 1.56. Added veterans like Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner to complement a young lineup.
Dale Tallon, Florida Panthers
Was forced to spend/commit millions over the summer to get above the salary cap floor. Which sounds easy in theory, but when everyone else knows it, it’s hard to get very good deals. Among his moves that are paying dividends in the playoffs, Tallon traded for Brian Campbell and the defenseman’s enormous contract; he acquired Kris Versteeg from Philadelphia; he signed Tomas Fleischmann, Sean Bergenheim, Scottie Upshall, and Marcel Goc; and he acquired Mikael Samuelsson from Vancouver while unloading David Booth’s big contract.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)