Peter Laviolette isn’t concerned with who his team faces next

Apr 24, 2012, 8:59 AM EDT

Peter Laviolette AP

Since the Flyers are the one team that’s booked their spot in the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, they’re sitting at home waiting to see who they’ll play next. The tough part of the job for coach Peter Laviolette is that he can’t exactly prepare for anyone since the Flyers could face any of the remaining six teams.

As for Laviolette, he isn’t worried about who they’ll play next or where they’re headed when the second round starts as NHL.com’s Dan Rosen shares.

“The cards are going to fall, one way or the other, somewhere,” Laviolette said Monday from the Flyers’ practice facility in Voorhees, N.J. “They’re going to tell us we’re going somewhere or we’re playing somebody. Regardless, we’ll be ready.”

If you’re doubting Laviolette’s ability to pull things together at this point, you haven’t been paying attention to the work he’s done in Philly.

While the Panthers could finish off the Devils tonight in Game 6 of their series, that still doesn’t clear anything up as the Panthers are the third seed in the East. Laviolette won’t mind having to put a little extra work in to prepare.

1. uncledick - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:07 AM

As a flyers fan I prefer not to play the rangers. 0-6 against them this season wasn’t an anomaly, they had our number. That being said if we do play them it wont be a cakewalk for either team. It would be a great series.

2. joebuckiscreepy - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Not going to lie. I am rooting for Ottawa.

• bergeronforselke - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Yeah ditto. Those who aren’t cheering for Ottawa are either a Rangers fan or a liar.

• joebuckiscreepy - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Exactly. Penguins fans made the mistake of being overconfident about beating the Flyers after the Flyers owned them in the regular season and look what happened.

3. FoozieGrooler - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:24 AM

““The cards are going to fall, one way or the other, somewhere,” Laviolette said”

How profound…

4. sizzle299 - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Wow these articles just get shorter and shorter… Thanks PHT for the in-depth analysis…..

5. broadstbully33 - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM

honestly what flyers fan wouldnt want to go thru boston this year…..beat the defending champs and go on to the cup

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM

its a catch 22. You want to beat the best, but you also need to be careful what you wish for.

Personally Ill take the easiest path to a title. It will still be awesome when you win, and no one will remember who they played 20 years from now.

6. pastabelly - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I would love to see Bruins-Flyers again. But the Bs have to escape Washington tomorrow night. Even if they do, there’s a good chance the Bruins would get Florida next.

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

As a Bruins fan, and granted they still need to beat Washington (fingers crossed), I would prefer to get Ottawa in the next round. My choice would be Ottawa, then Fla, Philly, NJ , NYR. Obviously they cant matchup up against NYR…but those are my preferences.

• mercyflush - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

the only way the flyers play the bruins in the next round (i think) is if the devils, rangers and Bs win. then the Rangers 1 play the Devils 6, and the Bruins 2 play the Flyers 5. If the Panthers, Bruins and Rangers win, its Flyers vs. NY. If the Panthers Sens and Bruins win, its Flyers vs. Panthers. If the Devils, Sens and Bruins win, its Flyers vs. Devils.

that said, the most likely scenario right now (assuming FLA wins and the home teams win game 7 in the other 2 series) is Flyers Rangers and Panthers Bruins. Then most likely its Flyers-Bruins ECF or Ranger-Bruins ECF. I can’t see FLA beating Boston.

7. sjsharks66 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:11 AM

They better hope they don’t play the rangers, bruins or Ottawa. For some reason NY has their number and they could possibly be swept. (which i would like because I am not a flyers fan…lol). The bruins can score, which is not good for the inconsistent Bryz. Now Ottawa is a different story. I believe the flyers can beat the Sens, however they’re going to lose some players in the process. Any of these 3 series will be highly entertaining.

8. flyguys10 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Honestly I’d like to see the Flyers play (and beat) the best teams. This way there’s no excuses when/if they win the cup. I don’t want, “Yeah they won, but all the good teams were knocked out early”. How impressive would it be if they went through the Pens, Rangers, and Bruins to get to the finals. Not sure how likely it would be for them to get the Rangers and Bruins, but that’s what I’m rooting for. It’d be tough, but to be the best you have to beat the best.

I guess I’d like to see Flyers vs Kings in the finals. That would be an interesting series with Richards, Williams and Carter coming back.

• emoser - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:40 AM

If they get knocked out early then they can’t be that great of a team.

• flyguys10 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You’re exactly right, but people will still say it. It happened during the Flyers run to the finals a couple years ago. Experts said the Flyers were lucky cause the Pens got knocked out. I think the Canadiens won that series?

• pftcensorssuck - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Thank you. That needed to be said!

9. mercyflush - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

As a Flyers fan, part of me wants the Rangers and Bruins to lose so the Flyers path is easier to the finals. Not guaranteed of course, but without question easier.

However, the other part of me says F it. If you want to be the best, beat the best. Beat the Bruins and the Rangers and earn that trip to the finals. If they beat those two clubs, their confidence level would push them to the cup. If they dont beat either of those teams, they simply are not good enough this year.

10. heyzeus143 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

rangers, you guys want the rangers right :-)

11. crosbynation87 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Watching that goaltending for philly I would be concerened with any team they have play because there isnt any more crap goalies let for you guys to play

• 700levelvet - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Why is it people from Pittsburgh, or Pittsburgh fans, can’t speak in compete sentences? Care to decipher this for us genius?

• wicky888 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Shouldn’t you be trolling on Golf Central Talk? Pretty sure thats what the Penguins are playing right now.

• dsd3 - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

How’s Fleury done in the playoffs lately? Oh yeah, he was embarrassing.

12. biffnasty - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Like to see em play the rangers and as a rangers fan I know it would be a crazy physical series. The regular season record means absolutely nothing so it would be a crazy good series!! Rangers in 6! Of course we gotta get out the 1st round tho

13. wicky888 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

In 2010, Montreal took out Pittsburgh and Washington for us (both series were 7 games I believe) and had nothing left for the Flyers. Path of least resistance. I would prefer to beat the best teams myself, like the Giants this past year. They won at GB, at SF, and vs NE in the bowl. Can’t take anything away from them. But a cup is a cup, and I will take it anyway I can get it.

14. wicky888 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I see the Rangers winning (game 7 at home, you have to). I also see Florida winning. (Brodeur looks like he has early onset dementia right now) Boston-Washington is a toss up, I can’t even believe that series went this far. I’ll go with Washington for the upset special

15. sweezz - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM

According to my NHL12 simulation, For the 2nd round of the east it had….. Flyers/Florida, and Ottawa/Boston.

ECF was Flyers/Ottawa.

Stanley cup was Blackhawks/Flyers…. So we all know how accurate this was right? I’m sorry for wasting everyone’s time :(

16. 8man - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The Flyers are already in the second round. My Bruins aren’t. I’ll take anyone. Anyone!

17. eagleschic - Apr 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

As much as I’d love to beat the Rangers to get to the finals, I want no part of a Flyers/Rangers series. I’ve watched many Rangers games this year land watched them lose to the Blackhawks, Penguins, Bruins, Sabres and have seen the box scores from other games they had lost throughout the season. They have looked mediocre at times and Lundquist has occasionally been average. But for some reason whenever they play the Flyers, the Rangers are flawless…they play phenomenal defense, make goal scoring look effortless and the goalie stands on his head. Don’t get me wrong, the Rangers are a very good team but it appears they turn into the 87 Oilers every time they play the Flyers. It amazes me that they can be dominated by other teams but when they are playing the Orange and Black, they seem to play near perfect hockey . They KNOW they can beat this team and just like the Flyers could easily beat the Penguins when when no one else could, the Rangers seem to to have that same effect when it comes to the Flyers. There’s the psychological match up just like the Flyers confidence over Pitt. I personally believe that if the Rangers are knocked out and we don’t have to play them, the Flyers will win the cup.

18. hartsy19 - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:51 AM