Patrice Bergeron doesn’t know what you’re talking about when it comes to Brad Marchand diving

Apr 24, 2012, 10:53 AM EDT

Brad Marchand Getty Images

One of the more memorable moments from Game 6 between Boston and Washington was seeing Bruins forward Brad Marchand get run off a play by Capitals forward Jason Chimera. Chimera made glancing contact with Marchand, but Marchand spun out like a cyclone before tumbling to the ice holding his face. Meanwhile, the Capitals headed down the ice where Chimera scored a goal.

Marchand has carved out a poor reputation for exaggerating calls and it’s only gotten worse during this series… But don’t tell Patrice Bergeron that. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears it from Bergeron about how he has no idea where this diving talk is coming from.

“I don’t have anything to say with it to be honest with you,” Patrice Bergeron said. “I didn’t see him dive, but [Brad Marchand] plays the game hard, plays the game with a lot of pride. Last year [Marchand’s play] was a huge reason why we went all the way.  I’m very happy to have him on my side.”

It’s better to have a guy like that on your side than to not as he’s got to be all sorts of irritating to play against. As far as the diving stuff, however, Marchand’s earned his reputation for a reason and all throughout this opening round series he’s found inventive ways to hit the ice. It might be part of his game, but if he winds up costing his team another goal thanks to his antics, it might be time for a sit-down discussion.

1. govtminion - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I bleed black and gold.

That said, Patrice, if you don’t see Marchand diving once in a while, you need new contacts. He’s pretty bad about it- and I really wish he’d knock it off.

• onearmdragon - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM

In this event it’s not a dive. His bloodied nose proves as much. But being the Rat means he can’t get the call.

Even if he had sprung to his feet and chased the play, there is no way he’ll catch up to Chimera to change the outcome of the goal. At best the caps ran a pick, at worst it was a high stick from Chimera.

• govtminion - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM

That one, yeah, he got bloodied. But he has a long history of diving prior to that, which is part of the reason no one cared about THIS incident- boy who cried wolf, all of that.

• davidpcoelho - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

He created his own bloody nose there probably nicking himself on his toe-picks on his skates.

There are some replays out there which CLEARLY show he was not hit in the head and barely touched if at all. He has the look like he wants to dive to.

There is no place for that in hockey.

• davidpcoelho - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:33 PM

@govt….- I don’t know if I would say he has a long history of doing this. And if you have ever played running into someone who you don’t know is there can rather jarring. I don’t know what happened here; it’s very hard to tell. I could be convinced either way. You turn and run into chimera; it could spin you around pretty easily. That being said- I am not 100% convinced. Marchand doesn’t dive really, what he does is put himself in very vulnerable off balance positions. The cross checking call he got in game 5 (?). He knew it was coming and he leaned forward so ANY contact would have knocked him over; I hate that too, just saying there is a big difference between that and actually diving (Subban, Sedin’s, Lapierre, Kesler) Every time Chara hits someone (chimera) he stays down and looks towards the ref; trying to get a boarding or charging call. that’s drives me equally as crazy. What marchand does is jumps when he feels sticks around his legs; it’s not diving, but it’s questionable, and I don’t really like it.

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM

if he does this all the time or has a long history; can you post some examples?

• habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM

@peeper,

Nice try at spinning. Even fellow Bruin fans agree he’s a diver.

• onearmdragon - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Diving is an important part of modern NHL play. Every team does it, some teams teach it (Habs and Canucks).

Doesn’t make any sense to dive for the Bruins as they can’t score power play goals and the failure often gives momentum to the other team (Ovechkin’s double minor high stick penalty).

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I am also a Bruins fan….Marchand is the only player on the team that I dislike. I really would prefer he wasnt on the team.

• onearmdragon - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Except he scores playoff goals, including game 7 versus Van last year.

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

@dragon There are plenty of guys throughout the history of the NHL that have scored goals in bunches that I would never want on my team. Dale Hunter scored over 20 goals in a season 9 times and I wouldnt want him either.

• derekl1113 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I totally agree with you. I live for the B’s but……..come on #63. Cut the garbage out of your game. You aren’t the Habs or the Canucks. You don’t need that crap in your, you’re too good for that. The NHL is full of divers and it hurts the game. Don’t be THAT guy.

• ravenscaps48 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Oh… He’s being THAT guy!

2. bergeronforselke - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Why would he say anything different

3. madtolive5 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I hate it.
    Nobody in Boston wants that on their team.

4. ballistictrajectory - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I can’t stand divers, regardless which team they play for. That said, it seems to me that more than a couple of the B’s are trying a bit too hard and making bad decisions because of it. Maybe Marshmont could dial himself back to Nose Face for a bit.

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I havent seen any one except Marchand. Please provide some evidence to back up your claim.

• ballistictrajectory - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Look the entire roster for Vancouver and Montreal.

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I was referring to the Bruins. You said more than a few of them were diving…Id like to see some vids of other Bruins diving.

5. sjsharks66 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I wouldn’t call that a dive, especially since he was bleeding. I would love to have Marchand on the sharks though. He’s really talented.

6. habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Ference is just as bad.

• banshee950 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Ference? really? oh do tell..what has he done to earn your ire? aside from b!tch slapping Halpern? has he ever layed ont he ice writhing in agony only to laugh it off and play his next shift and make his team and sport a laughing stock? has he ever layed on the ice looking for a call while game 7 was put out of reach for his team? lay on the ice unabashedly looking for the ref like a kid not going to cry unless his mom is around to see him? no he hasn’t so STFU
      I’ll give you the Marchant plays like a b1tch and I and many here want him to change or go. talent or not he doesn’t deserve the B on his chest with cheap low hits and dives

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM

this site would be better off if everyone just ignored Habsman.

• hairpie - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I have never, ever seen Ference dive in all the years i’ve been watching him as a Bruin. I think you are butt hurt b/c he gave the Habs fans the finger last year. You need to separate your butt hurt from facts and you will be a very valuable member of this forum.

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM

• habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I can see you’re proud of Ferrence for that one finger salute. I’m sure the parents of children in the stands were equally impressed.

Although Ferrence received a minimal fine for this, he should have received a game IMO. But we all know this and other cowardly cheap shots and sucker punches were ignored by league office last year. That’s why we are seeing other teams this year trying the same crap Boston got away with last year. Unfortunatlely for them only one team has Greggy Campbell.

And yes, the Habs are enjoying golf.

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM

hey babsman -What “cowardly cheap shots?” at least back it up if you can? these blanket statements are silly. You are have no evidence of facts. Please answer why NO other teams or fan bases think Boston gets away with anything other than MTL and Van. yet the whole league laughs at the habs?

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:26 PM

• homelanddefense - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

this one is my fav

• pepper2011 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM

you want to know what else is awesome?
      you have about 18.5m this off season. you have 11 RFA’s and 3 UFA’s. Not looking good. you need to sign; Price(6m), Subban(4m), Emelin(2m), Diaz(1.5m) & Eller(2m). assuming your guys sign for close to that amount; ALL could be higher, and probably will. you will have about 3m to fill 3-5 roster spots. Even worse next year when Desharnais and Pacioretty are looking to get paid. you gonna get a lot worse before you get better. Good thing you have 23m locked up in Gomez, Kaberle, Gionta and Markov (hasn’t played more than 45games since 08-09). Out of Subban, Price, Pacioretty and Desharnais; you will probably lose two.

• habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Well peeper, there is no denying you have your (middle) finger on the pulse of the Habs payroll. Cap Geek bookmarked no doubt.

Not as bad as you think. Agree with Price and Subban ($10mil/per), but the others a bit too high. Probably got 5mil for 3-5 spots.

Also, there is talk of a one time payout without cap hit. We have two brutal contracts, Gomez and Kaberle (thanks Gainey and Gauthier). Might be able to payout one and demote the other to Hamilton. Could possibly free up 6-10 mil. We’ll see.

My biggest worry is if someone takes a run at Price (RFA). At his age he would be worth the compensation and a huge contract offer (Detroit, Philly, Tampa, Tor) would really put the Habs on the spot.

• hairpie - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM

How about the greatest flop of all when the Habs player last year pretended to graze Ference’s shoulder while Ference wasnt looking and went down like he was shot?

• habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM

No, the greatest flop was when Maxpac dove head first into the stantion while trying to avoid Chara. Please Bruin fans, try to get your facts straight.

7. 2dollarpbrs - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Nose face Killah has been diving alot of late, but what do you want Bergeron to say to the press??

8. lordstanley65 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Oh please, Habsman…you are the ONE person who shouldn’t weigh in on this AT ALL! The Habs have elevated diving to an art form, I believe it is an integral part of their practice sessions. That being said, yes, we don’t need that kind of play,63. You are better than that.

9. duster1982 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

It looks to me like the bloody nose came from hitting the other players stick, and not the guy who checked him.

10. pastabelly - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Marchand has had a crappy series and I agree that no Bruins should be divers. He has to cut it out. That may fly in Montreal and Vancouver, but not in Boston. But Marchand is still young and learning and he was outstanding in the Cup run last year. If they are going to win it this year, they will need a contribution out of LBH.

As for Bergeron, he has his linemate’s back. That’s all you can ask of him. He may lack Chara’s experience and Seguin’s talent. But he is the best all around player on the team and possibly the most respected.

11. sixshooter90 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Why don’t u post my comments, or does the truth hurt?

12. mgp1219 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I think Marchand was hit by Chimera, but he embellished it and should never have stayed down on the ice looking for a call. Don’t know where the blood came from, because it looked to me like he was grazed in the shoulder. That being said, I have been a B’s fan for about 40 years now and I do not like Marchand’s antics with the diving and/or embellishing. It does not belong in hockey, let alone in Boston. I hope Julien and Neely have spoken to him. Perhaps Thornton can get to him, too.

Now, I do want to say it is great to see all the Bruins fans coming out and diapproving of this type of shanningans. Just play the game as a Boston Bruin should. Also, this shows a huge difference between Bruins fans and Montreal/Vancouver fans…Boston fans disaprove of this stuff and Vancouver/Montreal fans condone it because they think it’s as part of the game. They would be defending their players for doing this.

• habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:43 PM

No, Montreal fans do not condone diving. It’s not part of the game, and more sportsmanship-like penalties should be called to embarrass these guys into stopping.

The Habs have had their share of floppers (Riberio being the worst) as all teams seem to. And Subban, like Nose Boy, needs to smarten up.

• salmon90 - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Well said mgp1219! We love when Kesler dives! WE even loved it when Dustin Brown gave himself whiplash on multiple occasions trying to sell calls throughout our series with the Kings. Diving is the best. I’m sorry you can’t appreciate Marchand’s talent and I know Ference has shown some real potential. While we’re at it we also love rioting, blaming refs and whining about league conspiracies. Also, we totally would have won the cup if Daniel had not been sucker elbowed by the cheapest shot in league history.

Did I miss anything?

If I labeled all Bruins fans based on your drivel what do you think I would say? Narrow minded. Blind homers. Make tired generalizations.

• mgp1219 - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Thanks salmon,

You forgot to mention biting.

You also forgot to mention that Vancouver was the best team in the league for two years in a row, yet they haven’t won a Stanley Cup. How about next season we just announce Vancouver the President’s Cup winner and they can have a season long bye and just wait for the playoffs to start?

• salmon90 - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Yes that’s right – biting. Has Bergeron’s ‘boo-boo’ healed yet? I guess since you don’t have Savard anymore I’ve got nothing to come back with.

A season long bye? I’m down for that. Would probably work well for you guys too as you would save yourself a suspension or two.

• habsman - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Didn`t Marc Savard enjoy chomping as well.

• mgp1219 - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM

According to habswoman the Bruins don’t get suspended or penalized for anything. You know, the Colin Campbell effect.

As fo Savard biting, Carcillo says Savard bit him, Savard denied it (of course); however, the whole world saw Burrows bite Bergeron, and he had to move Bergeron’s hand to his mouth to do it.

13. lsxphotog - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Bergeron has to be joking…I mean, The Nose is the poster boy for dives in 2011-2012.

14. fullbagg - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The whole point is, he laid there like Albert Haynseworth as the Caps scored. The whole act hurt his team. Even if he was hit as hard as he acted, his butt should’ve gotten up ASAP for his TEAM in the PLAYOFFS! THAT is what is glaring and inexcusable.

It must be a Boston thing… Very Brady like… Diving for flags.. and whistles…

Boston. Brady. Win at all costs.. Spygate.. Steal you best friend and colleague’s wife…. Yep..

Uggs too..

15. lordstanley65 - Apr 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Those cap hits and free agent woes are certainly going to hurt the Habs…but as we know it’s all a conspiracy put in place by Colin Campbell to keep the noble Montreal franchise down! Right, Habsman?

16. eagleschic - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Marchand goes down faster than a Vegas prostitute…

Top 10 NHL Player Searches