Apr 24, 2012, 6:37 PM EDT
Depending how you spin it – and it’s being spun differently depending on the media outlet (see here compared to here) – Alex Ovechkin is either angry at receiving less ice time under coach Dale Hunter, or he’s bought into Hunter’s team-first philosophy.
The former suggests Ovechkin is selfish, the latter pretty much the opposite.
We’ll let you decide for yourself.
“My role is still to score goals,” Ovechkin said Tuesday, as per CSNWashington.com. “But in different situations, [Hunter] puts different guys out there. If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. But I think everybody wants to support each other no matter what. Sometimes you get angry you didn’t play a lot. Sometimes you get angry you’re not out there. But if it’s good for the team, you have to eat it and stay on the same course.”
In Game 4 versus the Bruins, Ovechkin played less than two minutes in the third period while the Caps were protecting a one-goal lead.
In Game 5 at Boston, he spent a career playoff low 15:34 on the ice.
Veteran forward Mike Knuble has empathy for his captain.
“It’s an interesting challenge to change tendencies and to change habits,” Knuble said. “The offensive guys, they’ve been offensive their whole life. Since they could wipe their noses, they’ve been out there scoring goals. It’s kind of hard to get them all to think a little bit differently, because it’s what’s gotten you here.”
Meanwhile, defenseman Karl Alzner credits Hunter for laying out each player’s role so there’s no confusion.
“[Ovechkin] understands now exactly why he’s not out there at times,” Alzner said. “It’s not a shock to me or anybody. We all know who goes out when it’s a D-zone draw and who goes out when it’s an offensive zone draw.”
Of course, Ovechkin’s willingness to go along with Hunter’s plan could change if the Capitals lose tomorrow and don’t make it past the first round.
Funny how that works sometimes.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)