Apr 24, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
Cam Tucker of the Vancouver Sun has gone ahead and preemptively scouted out new locations for Roberto Luongo and given that impending RFA Cory Schneider was the guy coach Alain Vigneault chose to pull his team out of a 2-0 series hole, this sort of piece was inevitable.
Tucker’s picks on where to send Luongo and the remaining 10 years of his contract stand out pretty easily.
—- Tampa Bay: The Lightning are in need of a starting goalie and have the draft picks and cap space to pull off a potential deal. One guy they forgot to leave out, however, was Vincent Lecavalier and his monster deal already being on their books until 2020.
—- Florida: Tucker points out the history Florida and Vancouver have done in the past making deals. He also forgets that goalie of the future Jacob Markstrom is waiting for his chance to seize the starting job probably starting next season.
—- Toronto: It wouldn’t be a juicy rumor without the Maple Leafs involved. The Leafs need a genuine No. 1 goalie and Luongo would fit the bill. Considering how bad Luongo had it in Vancouver, are we sure Brian Burke would want him and his CBA-dodging deal? It doesn’t seem likely.
—- New Jersey: Curious call here as Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg won’t be around forever. Tucker does do due diligence here noting that the Devils have to give up a first round pick for their Ilya Kovalchuk contract mess yet, but it’s doubtful Lou Lamoriello makes a move like this when he’s got Zach Parise‘s contract to figure out in the offseason.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11