Apr 24, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
Cam Tucker of the Vancouver Sun has gone ahead and preemptively scouted out new locations for Roberto Luongo and given that impending RFA Cory Schneider was the guy coach Alain Vigneault chose to pull his team out of a 2-0 series hole, this sort of piece was inevitable.
Tucker’s picks on where to send Luongo and the remaining 10 years of his contract stand out pretty easily.
—- Tampa Bay: The Lightning are in need of a starting goalie and have the draft picks and cap space to pull off a potential deal. One guy they forgot to leave out, however, was Vincent Lecavalier and his monster deal already being on their books until 2020.
—- Florida: Tucker points out the history Florida and Vancouver have done in the past making deals. He also forgets that goalie of the future Jacob Markstrom is waiting for his chance to seize the starting job probably starting next season.
—- Toronto: It wouldn’t be a juicy rumor without the Maple Leafs involved. The Leafs need a genuine No. 1 goalie and Luongo would fit the bill. Considering how bad Luongo had it in Vancouver, are we sure Brian Burke would want him and his CBA-dodging deal? It doesn’t seem likely.
—- New Jersey: Curious call here as Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg won’t be around forever. Tucker does do due diligence here noting that the Devils have to give up a first round pick for their Ilya Kovalchuk contract mess yet, but it’s doubtful Lou Lamoriello makes a move like this when he’s got Zach Parise‘s contract to figure out in the offseason.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (54)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)