Apr 24, 2012, 11:23 AM EST
Sources confirmed to the Sun Tuesday morning Shanahan has acquired the CBC footage of the play. If Giradri’s claim is verified, Michalek could face a fine or suspension before Game 7 of the series on Thursday in New York.
Video replay of the incident (which we’re working on getting for you) shows Michalek on his stomach with Girardi on top of him. Michalek then kicks at Girardi with his skate to urge him to get off of him. Believe it or not, kicking isn’t something new to deal with in hockey or the playoffs.
A similar incident like this occurred this season with Carolina’s Jeff Skinner getting a two-game suspension for doing virtually the same thing. There was also an incident in 2002 between Shayne Corson and Eric Cairns that saw Corson suspended for Game 7 of the Maple Leafs series against the Islanders as Corson kicked Cairns in Game 6.
If there’s anything to Michalek kicking Girardi, the Senators could be looking at missing a major offensive contributor in a crucial game.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)