Apr 24, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Brad Marchand doesn’t like being called a diver by Washington Capitals fans.
The Boston forward has been facing criticism since getting spun around (or spinning himself around, depending how you saw it) by Jason Chimera on Sunday.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, Chimera scored seconds later, the goal coming in part because Marchand was taken (or took himself) out of the play.
Today, Marchand fired back at everyone who’s been accusing him of embellishing on the play.
“For them to judge what knocks you down, they don’t know your balance or whatnot on the play,” he told reporters, as per CSNWashington.com. “They’re sitting at home watching on TV. I don’t really care what they say. They have no impact on my game, my life. They mean nothing.”
Marchand also said he got cut on the play and has the stitch to prove it.
So why is he so mad about the accusations? CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has a theory:
“For a Bruins team that has always prided itself on rising above the world of diving, flopping finesse teams like the [Montreal] Canadiens and the Vancouver Canucks it’s the ultimate Scarlet Letter in hockey,” writes Haggerty.
You can watch the video below and decide for yourself. I think it was probably one of those “it was both” plays. Chimera made some contact, but Marchand added a little pizazz once he knew he was going down.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)