Apr 24, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Brad Marchand doesn’t like being called a diver by Washington Capitals fans.
The Boston forward has been facing criticism since getting spun around (or spinning himself around, depending how you saw it) by Jason Chimera on Sunday.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, Chimera scored seconds later, the goal coming in part because Marchand was taken (or took himself) out of the play.
Today, Marchand fired back at everyone who’s been accusing him of embellishing on the play.
“For them to judge what knocks you down, they don’t know your balance or whatnot on the play,” he told reporters, as per CSNWashington.com. “They’re sitting at home watching on TV. I don’t really care what they say. They have no impact on my game, my life. They mean nothing.”
Marchand also said he got cut on the play and has the stitch to prove it.
So why is he so mad about the accusations? CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has a theory:
“For a Bruins team that has always prided itself on rising above the world of diving, flopping finesse teams like the [Montreal] Canadiens and the Vancouver Canucks it’s the ultimate Scarlet Letter in hockey,” writes Haggerty.
You can watch the video below and decide for yourself. I think it was probably one of those “it was both” plays. Chimera made some contact, but Marchand added a little pizazz once he knew he was going down.
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 0
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 5
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 15
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 41
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 90
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)