Apr 24, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Brad Marchand doesn’t like being called a diver by Washington Capitals fans.
The Boston forward has been facing criticism since getting spun around (or spinning himself around, depending how you saw it) by Jason Chimera on Sunday.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, Chimera scored seconds later, the goal coming in part because Marchand was taken (or took himself) out of the play.
Today, Marchand fired back at everyone who’s been accusing him of embellishing on the play.
“For them to judge what knocks you down, they don’t know your balance or whatnot on the play,” he told reporters, as per CSNWashington.com. “They’re sitting at home watching on TV. I don’t really care what they say. They have no impact on my game, my life. They mean nothing.”
Marchand also said he got cut on the play and has the stitch to prove it.
So why is he so mad about the accusations? CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has a theory:
“For a Bruins team that has always prided itself on rising above the world of diving, flopping finesse teams like the [Montreal] Canadiens and the Vancouver Canucks it’s the ultimate Scarlet Letter in hockey,” writes Haggerty.
You can watch the video below and decide for yourself. I think it was probably one of those “it was both” plays. Chimera made some contact, but Marchand added a little pizazz once he knew he was going down.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)