Apr 24, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Brad Marchand doesn’t like being called a diver by Washington Capitals fans.
The Boston forward has been facing criticism since getting spun around (or spinning himself around, depending how you saw it) by Jason Chimera on Sunday.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, Chimera scored seconds later, the goal coming in part because Marchand was taken (or took himself) out of the play.
Today, Marchand fired back at everyone who’s been accusing him of embellishing on the play.
“For them to judge what knocks you down, they don’t know your balance or whatnot on the play,” he told reporters, as per CSNWashington.com. “They’re sitting at home watching on TV. I don’t really care what they say. They have no impact on my game, my life. They mean nothing.”
Marchand also said he got cut on the play and has the stitch to prove it.
So why is he so mad about the accusations? CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has a theory:
“For a Bruins team that has always prided itself on rising above the world of diving, flopping finesse teams like the [Montreal] Canadiens and the Vancouver Canucks it’s the ultimate Scarlet Letter in hockey,” writes Haggerty.
You can watch the video below and decide for yourself. I think it was probably one of those “it was both” plays. Chimera made some contact, but Marchand added a little pizazz once he knew he was going down.
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 0
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)