Apr 24, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Brad Marchand doesn’t like being called a diver by Washington Capitals fans.
The Boston forward has been facing criticism since getting spun around (or spinning himself around, depending how you saw it) by Jason Chimera on Sunday.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, Chimera scored seconds later, the goal coming in part because Marchand was taken (or took himself) out of the play.
Today, Marchand fired back at everyone who’s been accusing him of embellishing on the play.
“For them to judge what knocks you down, they don’t know your balance or whatnot on the play,” he told reporters, as per CSNWashington.com. “They’re sitting at home watching on TV. I don’t really care what they say. They have no impact on my game, my life. They mean nothing.”
Marchand also said he got cut on the play and has the stitch to prove it.
So why is he so mad about the accusations? CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty has a theory:
“For a Bruins team that has always prided itself on rising above the world of diving, flopping finesse teams like the [Montreal] Canadiens and the Vancouver Canucks it’s the ultimate Scarlet Letter in hockey,” writes Haggerty.
You can watch the video below and decide for yourself. I think it was probably one of those “it was both” plays. Chimera made some contact, but Marchand added a little pizazz once he knew he was going down.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)