Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
After a banner campaign, Jiri Tlusty is cashing in.
The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they’ve re-signed Tlusty to a two-year, $3.2 million deal — a fairly significant raise from the $525,000 he made last season.
“Jiri had a very good season and showed that he can contribute as a top-end NHL forward,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He should continue to be an important part of the Hurricanes coming off of his career year.”
Tlusty, a former first-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs (his time in Tronna is best remembered for, uh, this) posted career highs in games played, goals, assists and points this year, ranking fourth among all Hurricanes in points (36).
The move is another piece in Carolina’s apparent plan to retain most of — if not all — of a team that finished 12th overall in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for the third straight season (in addition to Tlusty, the ‘Canes also re-upped with Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu.)
Strange strategy? Perhaps, but do consider how well the team played after November’s coaching change. The ‘Canes went 8-13-4 under Paul Maurice, 25-20-12 under Kirk Muller.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)