Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
After a banner campaign, Jiri Tlusty is cashing in.
The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they’ve re-signed Tlusty to a two-year, $3.2 million deal — a fairly significant raise from the $525,000 he made last season.
“Jiri had a very good season and showed that he can contribute as a top-end NHL forward,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He should continue to be an important part of the Hurricanes coming off of his career year.”
Tlusty, a former first-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs (his time in Tronna is best remembered for, uh, this) posted career highs in games played, goals, assists and points this year, ranking fourth among all Hurricanes in points (36).
The move is another piece in Carolina’s apparent plan to retain most of — if not all — of a team that finished 12th overall in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for the third straight season (in addition to Tlusty, the ‘Canes also re-upped with Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu.)
Strange strategy? Perhaps, but do consider how well the team played after November’s coaching change. The ‘Canes went 8-13-4 under Paul Maurice, 25-20-12 under Kirk Muller.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 11
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 29
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 46
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)