Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
After a banner campaign, Jiri Tlusty is cashing in.
The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they’ve re-signed Tlusty to a two-year, $3.2 million deal — a fairly significant raise from the $525,000 he made last season.
“Jiri had a very good season and showed that he can contribute as a top-end NHL forward,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He should continue to be an important part of the Hurricanes coming off of his career year.”
Tlusty, a former first-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs (his time in Tronna is best remembered for, uh, this) posted career highs in games played, goals, assists and points this year, ranking fourth among all Hurricanes in points (36).
The move is another piece in Carolina’s apparent plan to retain most of — if not all — of a team that finished 12th overall in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for the third straight season (in addition to Tlusty, the ‘Canes also re-upped with Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu.)
Strange strategy? Perhaps, but do consider how well the team played after November’s coaching change. The ‘Canes went 8-13-4 under Paul Maurice, 25-20-12 under Kirk Muller.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)