Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
After a banner campaign, Jiri Tlusty is cashing in.
The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they’ve re-signed Tlusty to a two-year, $3.2 million deal — a fairly significant raise from the $525,000 he made last season.
“Jiri had a very good season and showed that he can contribute as a top-end NHL forward,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He should continue to be an important part of the Hurricanes coming off of his career year.”
Tlusty, a former first-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs (his time in Tronna is best remembered for, uh, this) posted career highs in games played, goals, assists and points this year, ranking fourth among all Hurricanes in points (36).
The move is another piece in Carolina’s apparent plan to retain most of — if not all — of a team that finished 12th overall in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for the third straight season (in addition to Tlusty, the ‘Canes also re-upped with Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu.)
Strange strategy? Perhaps, but do consider how well the team played after November’s coaching change. The ‘Canes went 8-13-4 under Paul Maurice, 25-20-12 under Kirk Muller.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 8
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 51
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 40
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)