Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
After a banner campaign, Jiri Tlusty is cashing in.
The Carolina Hurricanes announced today that they’ve re-signed Tlusty to a two-year, $3.2 million deal — a fairly significant raise from the $525,000 he made last season.
“Jiri had a very good season and showed that he can contribute as a top-end NHL forward,” ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said in a statement. “He should continue to be an important part of the Hurricanes coming off of his career year.”
Tlusty, a former first-round pick of the Toronto Maple Leafs (his time in Tronna is best remembered for, uh, this) posted career highs in games played, goals, assists and points this year, ranking fourth among all Hurricanes in points (36).
The move is another piece in Carolina’s apparent plan to retain most of — if not all — of a team that finished 12th overall in the Eastern Conference and missed the playoffs for the third straight season (in addition to Tlusty, the ‘Canes also re-upped with Tim Gleason and Tuomo Ruutu.)
Strange strategy? Perhaps, but do consider how well the team played after November’s coaching change. The ‘Canes went 8-13-4 under Paul Maurice, 25-20-12 under Kirk Muller.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)