Apr 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
Treating a concussion is a bit of mystery in the medical science world. For Minnesota Wild forward Guillaume Latendresse, his concussion problems in his career have forced him to look for new ways to treat them. Under the care of Dr. Ted Carrick, he told the panel on L’Antichambre on RDS about how a human-sized gyroscope is helping him overcome his troubles.
Thanks to J.S. Landry at SBN’s Hockey Wilderness, he translated Latendresse’s appearance to give us the science-fiction like details of his concussion treatment.
“That’s what impressed me the most and I wanted to talk about it tonight because it’s not just made to treat concussions, that’s the interesting thing about it. I saw a little 4 year-old girl there, she had never been able to walk in her life and after two days, she was able to walk! (Surprised reactions across the panel) Of course, she wasn’t walking perfectly, but she was walking. There was a blind girl, two days later, she saw colors for the first time and she was like…” (mesmerized expression)
Hang on now, this sounds a bit far-fetched but Latendresse says the effects it’s had on him have been profound. After a week of treatment he said he felt better than he had in months.
There is a catch though as Latendresse says the treatment has its shortcomings in that only certain doctors can make use of it and it’s not a widely available treatment. There’s a bit more to check out at that Hockey Wilderness link, but that should be enough to pique your curiosity.
If this isn’t as snake-oily as it appears to be and getting spun around in a gyroscope can help those dealing with serious concussion issues, you’d have to think Dr. Carrick will have a strong uptick in new patients.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 57
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 30
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)