Apr 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
Treating a concussion is a bit of mystery in the medical science world. For Minnesota Wild forward Guillaume Latendresse, his concussion problems in his career have forced him to look for new ways to treat them. Under the care of Dr. Ted Carrick, he told the panel on L’Antichambre on RDS about how a human-sized gyroscope is helping him overcome his troubles.
Thanks to J.S. Landry at SBN’s Hockey Wilderness, he translated Latendresse’s appearance to give us the science-fiction like details of his concussion treatment.
“That’s what impressed me the most and I wanted to talk about it tonight because it’s not just made to treat concussions, that’s the interesting thing about it. I saw a little 4 year-old girl there, she had never been able to walk in her life and after two days, she was able to walk! (Surprised reactions across the panel) Of course, she wasn’t walking perfectly, but she was walking. There was a blind girl, two days later, she saw colors for the first time and she was like…” (mesmerized expression)
Hang on now, this sounds a bit far-fetched but Latendresse says the effects it’s had on him have been profound. After a week of treatment he said he felt better than he had in months.
There is a catch though as Latendresse says the treatment has its shortcomings in that only certain doctors can make use of it and it’s not a widely available treatment. There’s a bit more to check out at that Hockey Wilderness link, but that should be enough to pique your curiosity.
If this isn’t as snake-oily as it appears to be and getting spun around in a gyroscope can help those dealing with serious concussion issues, you’d have to think Dr. Carrick will have a strong uptick in new patients.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)