Apr 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Treating a concussion is a bit of mystery in the medical science world. For Minnesota Wild forward Guillaume Latendresse, his concussion problems in his career have forced him to look for new ways to treat them. Under the care of Dr. Ted Carrick, he told the panel on L’Antichambre on RDS about how a human-sized gyroscope is helping him overcome his troubles.
Thanks to J.S. Landry at SBN’s Hockey Wilderness, he translated Latendresse’s appearance to give us the science-fiction like details of his concussion treatment.
“That’s what impressed me the most and I wanted to talk about it tonight because it’s not just made to treat concussions, that’s the interesting thing about it. I saw a little 4 year-old girl there, she had never been able to walk in her life and after two days, she was able to walk! (Surprised reactions across the panel) Of course, she wasn’t walking perfectly, but she was walking. There was a blind girl, two days later, she saw colors for the first time and she was like…” (mesmerized expression)
Hang on now, this sounds a bit far-fetched but Latendresse says the effects it’s had on him have been profound. After a week of treatment he said he felt better than he had in months.
There is a catch though as Latendresse says the treatment has its shortcomings in that only certain doctors can make use of it and it’s not a widely available treatment. There’s a bit more to check out at that Hockey Wilderness link, but that should be enough to pique your curiosity.
If this isn’t as snake-oily as it appears to be and getting spun around in a gyroscope can help those dealing with serious concussion issues, you’d have to think Dr. Carrick will have a strong uptick in new patients.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21