Apr 23, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
Treating a concussion is a bit of mystery in the medical science world. For Minnesota Wild forward Guillaume Latendresse, his concussion problems in his career have forced him to look for new ways to treat them. Under the care of Dr. Ted Carrick, he told the panel on L’Antichambre on RDS about how a human-sized gyroscope is helping him overcome his troubles.
Thanks to J.S. Landry at SBN’s Hockey Wilderness, he translated Latendresse’s appearance to give us the science-fiction like details of his concussion treatment.
“That’s what impressed me the most and I wanted to talk about it tonight because it’s not just made to treat concussions, that’s the interesting thing about it. I saw a little 4 year-old girl there, she had never been able to walk in her life and after two days, she was able to walk! (Surprised reactions across the panel) Of course, she wasn’t walking perfectly, but she was walking. There was a blind girl, two days later, she saw colors for the first time and she was like…” (mesmerized expression)
Hang on now, this sounds a bit far-fetched but Latendresse says the effects it’s had on him have been profound. After a week of treatment he said he felt better than he had in months.
There is a catch though as Latendresse says the treatment has its shortcomings in that only certain doctors can make use of it and it’s not a widely available treatment. There’s a bit more to check out at that Hockey Wilderness link, but that should be enough to pique your curiosity.
If this isn’t as snake-oily as it appears to be and getting spun around in a gyroscope can help those dealing with serious concussion issues, you’d have to think Dr. Carrick will have a strong uptick in new patients.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22