Apr 23, 2012, 1:52 PM EST
For at least two more games, Ken Hitchcock won’t have to discuss his starting goalie situation.
That’s because the St. Louis head coach announced on Monday that Jaroslav Halak will not play in the first two games of the Blues’ second-round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
Hitchcock made the decision public even though the Blues don’t know when their upcoming series will start, or what the schedule will look like. This has led some to speculate Halak’s suffered a fairly significant injury — believed to be a left ankle sprain — after colliding with teammate Barrett Jackman during a Game 2 victory over San Jose in the opening round.
That said, it seems unlikely Halak would’ve returned to the St. Louis goal even if healthy. All-Star Brian Elliott replaced Halak during the San Jose series and closed out the Sharks in style, allowing just five goals in four appearances while posting a .949 save percentage.
Elliott’s performance included a banner effort in the Game 5 elimination tilt, when he stopped 26 of 27 shots, 11 of which came in a busy third period as the Sharks tried to claw back.
With Halak out, AHL Peoria recall Jake Allen will continue to backup Elliott.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)