Apr 23, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
For at least two more games, Ken Hitchcock won’t have to discuss his starting goalie situation.
That’s because the St. Louis head coach announced on Monday that Jaroslav Halak will not play in the first two games of the Blues’ second-round series against the Los Angeles Kings.
Hitchcock made the decision public even though the Blues don’t know when their upcoming series will start, or what the schedule will look like. This has led some to speculate Halak’s suffered a fairly significant injury — believed to be a left ankle sprain — after colliding with teammate Barrett Jackman during a Game 2 victory over San Jose in the opening round.
That said, it seems unlikely Halak would’ve returned to the St. Louis goal even if healthy. All-Star Brian Elliott replaced Halak during the San Jose series and closed out the Sharks in style, allowing just five goals in four appearances while posting a .949 save percentage.
Elliott’s performance included a banner effort in the Game 5 elimination tilt, when he stopped 26 of 27 shots, 11 of which came in a busy third period as the Sharks tried to claw back.
With Halak out, AHL Peoria recall Jake Allen will continue to backup Elliott.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)