Apr 23, 2012, 9:14 AM EST
It’s rare to see the Detroit Red Wings season come to an end this early, but with an offseason ahead of them that sees a lot of questions and a ton of money coming off their salary cap, Detroit might be ready to make a big splash in free agency.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press he’s looking forward to the summer and looks to make the Wings a deeper team once again.
“We have lots of cap space, and there’ll be players available July 1,” general manager Ken Holland said. “We’re going to look at free agency, but the NHL is so tight now. The days of us having way more depth than the opposition or one extra star, those are over for everybody. It’s a league that’s very, very close.”
Among those players potentially available are Devils captain Zach Parise and Predators stud defenseman Ryan Suter. With Detroit’s forwards getting up there in years and their defense looking at perhaps one more season with Nicklas Lidstrom and the departure of Brad Stuart, either player would provide a big lift.
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock knows it’s a big time for the team and he hopes that with the extra $22 million in cap space his team will be big spenders.
“We have tons of money and if we can use our cap space to get high-end free agents, we have a shot to get right back on top,” Babcock said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, two days after Nashville eliminated Detroit. “If we’re fortunate in free agency, we won’t have to look at going in another direction.”
Getting into the trade market doesn’t sound like a good time especially with the amount of talent available right away.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)