Apr 23, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
It’s rare to see the Detroit Red Wings season come to an end this early, but with an offseason ahead of them that sees a lot of questions and a ton of money coming off their salary cap, Detroit might be ready to make a big splash in free agency.
Red Wings GM Ken Holland tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press he’s looking forward to the summer and looks to make the Wings a deeper team once again.
“We have lots of cap space, and there’ll be players available July 1,” general manager Ken Holland said. “We’re going to look at free agency, but the NHL is so tight now. The days of us having way more depth than the opposition or one extra star, those are over for everybody. It’s a league that’s very, very close.”
Among those players potentially available are Devils captain Zach Parise and Predators stud defenseman Ryan Suter. With Detroit’s forwards getting up there in years and their defense looking at perhaps one more season with Nicklas Lidstrom and the departure of Brad Stuart, either player would provide a big lift.
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock knows it’s a big time for the team and he hopes that with the extra $22 million in cap space his team will be big spenders.
“We have tons of money and if we can use our cap space to get high-end free agents, we have a shot to get right back on top,” Babcock said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Sunday, two days after Nashville eliminated Detroit. “If we’re fortunate in free agency, we won’t have to look at going in another direction.”
Getting into the trade market doesn’t sound like a good time especially with the amount of talent available right away.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)