Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have been forced to cut off rat sales at the BankAtlantic Center, the club announced today.
CEO Michael Yormark is blaming visiting Devils fans for the moratorium after a number of the rubber rodents were thrown on the ice during play Saturday.
Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said afterwards he was worried his team could be penalized for the nefarious actions of the visiting fans.
“I’m a little concerned about the rats in the middle of the game,” said Dineen. “I know there’s a lot of Devil fans throwing them out there trying to get us a delay of game penalty there. I hope that’s something we can hold until the end of the game.”
Yormark also tweeted that the club will “not tolerate any fan throwing items on the ice during our game. If seen, they will be ejected from the arena immediately.”
We suppose the Panthers had no choice in this situation. The league reportedly made a call to the club about the issue. But we all know this ban will only create a black market for rubber rats. If people want their rats, they’ll get them somehow. And you can bet rat dealers won’t hold their product to the same standards. Probably try to pawn off rubber squirrels.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)