Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have been forced to cut off rat sales at the BankAtlantic Center, the club announced today.
CEO Michael Yormark is blaming visiting Devils fans for the moratorium after a number of the rubber rodents were thrown on the ice during play Saturday.
Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said afterwards he was worried his team could be penalized for the nefarious actions of the visiting fans.
“I’m a little concerned about the rats in the middle of the game,” said Dineen. “I know there’s a lot of Devil fans throwing them out there trying to get us a delay of game penalty there. I hope that’s something we can hold until the end of the game.”
Yormark also tweeted that the club will “not tolerate any fan throwing items on the ice during our game. If seen, they will be ejected from the arena immediately.”
We suppose the Panthers had no choice in this situation. The league reportedly made a call to the club about the issue. But we all know this ban will only create a black market for rubber rats. If people want their rats, they’ll get them somehow. And you can bet rat dealers won’t hold their product to the same standards. Probably try to pawn off rubber squirrels.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)