Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have been forced to cut off rat sales at the BankAtlantic Center, the club announced today.
CEO Michael Yormark is blaming visiting Devils fans for the moratorium after a number of the rubber rodents were thrown on the ice during play Saturday.
Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said afterwards he was worried his team could be penalized for the nefarious actions of the visiting fans.
“I’m a little concerned about the rats in the middle of the game,” said Dineen. “I know there’s a lot of Devil fans throwing them out there trying to get us a delay of game penalty there. I hope that’s something we can hold until the end of the game.”
Yormark also tweeted that the club will “not tolerate any fan throwing items on the ice during our game. If seen, they will be ejected from the arena immediately.”
We suppose the Panthers had no choice in this situation. The league reportedly made a call to the club about the issue. But we all know this ban will only create a black market for rubber rats. If people want their rats, they’ll get them somehow. And you can bet rat dealers won’t hold their product to the same standards. Probably try to pawn off rubber squirrels.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)