Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers have been forced to cut off rat sales at the BankAtlantic Center, the club announced today.
CEO Michael Yormark is blaming visiting Devils fans for the moratorium after a number of the rubber rodents were thrown on the ice during play Saturday.
Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said afterwards he was worried his team could be penalized for the nefarious actions of the visiting fans.
“I’m a little concerned about the rats in the middle of the game,” said Dineen. “I know there’s a lot of Devil fans throwing them out there trying to get us a delay of game penalty there. I hope that’s something we can hold until the end of the game.”
Yormark also tweeted that the club will “not tolerate any fan throwing items on the ice during our game. If seen, they will be ejected from the arena immediately.”
We suppose the Panthers had no choice in this situation. The league reportedly made a call to the club about the issue. But we all know this ban will only create a black market for rubber rats. If people want their rats, they’ll get them somehow. And you can bet rat dealers won’t hold their product to the same standards. Probably try to pawn off rubber squirrels.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)