Apr 23, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
The Florida Panthers have been forced to cut off rat sales at the BankAtlantic Center, the club announced today.
CEO Michael Yormark is blaming visiting Devils fans for the moratorium after a number of the rubber rodents were thrown on the ice during play Saturday.
Panthers coach Kevin Dineen said afterwards he was worried his team could be penalized for the nefarious actions of the visiting fans.
“I’m a little concerned about the rats in the middle of the game,” said Dineen. “I know there’s a lot of Devil fans throwing them out there trying to get us a delay of game penalty there. I hope that’s something we can hold until the end of the game.”
Yormark also tweeted that the club will “not tolerate any fan throwing items on the ice during our game. If seen, they will be ejected from the arena immediately.”
We suppose the Panthers had no choice in this situation. The league reportedly made a call to the club about the issue. But we all know this ban will only create a black market for rubber rats. If people want their rats, they’ll get them somehow. And you can bet rat dealers won’t hold their product to the same standards. Probably try to pawn off rubber squirrels.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 1
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 7
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 9
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 58
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)