Apr 23, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
As we shared with you earlier, the NHL announced the three finalists for the Frank J. Selke Trophy for the league’s best defensive forward: David Backes of the St. Louis Blues, Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins, and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings.
If you’re curious about the case each of these players has to take home this year’s award, here’s a brief rundown:
– Datsyuk is a five-time finalist for the award and a three-time winner. His puck-stealing ability is legendary and his ability to turn defense into instant offense is well known throughout the league.
– Bergeron is building a legend of his own in Boston thanks to his gutsy play and ability to win faceoffs. He finished second in the NHL in faceoff percentage, behind Jonathan Toews, and is tops on the team in shorthanded time-on-ice. When the Bruins need someone to shutdown an opponent, they call on Bergeron.
– Backes is the Blues’ most physical presence up front. He doled out 226 hits, most on the team, while also taking the most faceoffs. His reputation as a physical dynamo is well known amongst the players and, thanks to the Blues’ success this year, is becoming the thing of folk lore with fans.
With that said, who’s your pick to win the award?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)