Apr 23, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
As we shared with you earlier, the NHL announced the three finalists for the Frank J. Selke Trophy for the league’s best defensive forward: David Backes of the St. Louis Blues, Patrice Bergeron of the Boston Bruins, and Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings.
If you’re curious about the case each of these players has to take home this year’s award, here’s a brief rundown:
– Datsyuk is a five-time finalist for the award and a three-time winner. His puck-stealing ability is legendary and his ability to turn defense into instant offense is well known throughout the league.
– Bergeron is building a legend of his own in Boston thanks to his gutsy play and ability to win faceoffs. He finished second in the NHL in faceoff percentage, behind Jonathan Toews, and is tops on the team in shorthanded time-on-ice. When the Bruins need someone to shutdown an opponent, they call on Bergeron.
– Backes is the Blues’ most physical presence up front. He doled out 226 hits, most on the team, while also taking the most faceoffs. His reputation as a physical dynamo is well known amongst the players and, thanks to the Blues’ success this year, is becoming the thing of folk lore with fans.
With that said, who’s your pick to win the award?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)