Philadelphia Daily News captured Giroux’s hit on Crosby rather well

Apr 23, 2012, 2:45 PM EST

From the Daily News’ own Frank Seravalli, here’s the back page of today’s paper:

source:

In case you haven’t heard the story behind that hit, here’s CSN Philadelphia’s John Gonzalez:

Before Game 6, before the Flyers went out and stomped the Penguins to advance to the semifinals, Giroux went up to Peter Laviolette. What the player said to the coach was closer to a directive than a request. That was more than fine with Laviolette – it was welcomed. According to Laviolette, Giroux went up to him and said, “I don’t know who you’re planning on starting tonight, but I want that first shift.”

“He was so adamant about wanting that first shift,” Laviolette continued. “Line matchups didn’t matter at that point. He wanted to get out on the ice. He wanted to make a statement. I think it speaks to Claude. You see the skill, but sometimes you don’t know that, you don’t hear that, you don’t get that feel for him. Or maybe you do. But we do and I do. For him to come up and say that before the game, I think it speaks volumes about him – as who he is, not only as a player and his skill, but who he is as a person.”

Laviolette said Giroux made a statement with that first shift. Indeed he did. Giroux hit Crosby, made room for himself, and then deposited the puck into the net just 32 seconds into the contest. The Penguins never had a chance after that.

PHT Related

Flyers impressed that Claude Giroux demanded first shift

Pens’ Orpik on Giroux: “He was the best player on the ice”

Watch Claude Giroux start Game 6 with a monster hit on Sidney Crosby

1. bobhpine - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Then he skated around with an imaginary Stanley cup

• emoser - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Posts like this make you sound like the middle-aged used car salesman who won’t shut up about his varsity football days. Glory days are over, bud.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM

He did? I’ll have to call Verizon because on my TV I saw him nail Crosby then put the Flyers up 1-0 immediately after. I pay 120 bucks a month and I missed the invisible Cup? Unacceptable.

• clubdrunk18 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Give Crosby a full offseason to train and not have concussion symptoms to curtail his conditioning and you will see the best player in hockey take the league by storm. No denying his work ethic. He will be back with a vengence. Flyers are losers since 75!

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Whatever lets you sleep at night, big guy. Not sure why you replied to me with that. I was just upset I didn’t see the invisible Stanley Cup raising that Mr Pine was talking about. Although, I’m pretty sure that was an accurate description of the first minute of play, was it not? Plus, I’ve got the 2nd round to keep me occupied, I know you guys have a lot more time on your hands now. Enjoy!

• ml3939 - Apr 23, 2012 at 8:38 PM

And if the Flyers had Pronger Crosby would have missed a whole bunch more games. The Flyers were much less healthy than the Pens clubtool.

• ml3939 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:34 PM

At least he is still skating around. The Flyers just beat the Stanley Cup favorite Pens without Pronger and Mez, and a very limited JVR for 2 games. The Pens were completely healthy. You are the douche who repeatedly calls the Flyers chokers for some odd reason. That was the absolute definition of choking. As I said before, you and genopringles can focus on your true passion, “2 Guys, 1 Cup.”

• wicky888 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:07 PM

While your comment was mildly amusing, it can only be classified as sour grapes. Also, your screen name makes me think you are common mountain folk, that you own a camouflage Penguins hat, some sort of truck, and multiple pairs of overalls.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Camouflage Penguin hat,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM

While visions of suger plumbs danced in Crosby’s head ! Crosby looks like he’s about to get one of those old cartoon lumps to pop out of his grape !

2. jobotjones - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Do you have to be a ginger dbag to play in Philly or is it just recommended?

Thumbs down if you are a f*g…

• emoser - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

You can call me a fig all you want… I don’t even know what that means.

• govtminion - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

…it means you’ll be made into a soft but tasty cookie?

…mmmm, Newtons.

• paulsdamnblog - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Fig Newtons are awesome!

• maalea - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hey, I got it we’ll rename the Phila team to the Ginger Snaps.

Very tasty when paired with milk out of the Cup.

• comeonnowguys - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I’ve got little love for Philly, so grats on getting me to gladly take their side of things.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Funny to mention gingers. In the post game interviews, you know the ones where the penguins were talking about their season being over, I noticed James Neal has dark hair but red beard. Odd.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

My roommate from college had a red beard and black hair – very strange stuff. He was of Irish and British descent… apparently a common thing. Wonder where Neals roots trace beyond Canada.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM

That’s crazy. Never saw that before until yesterday.

3. govtminion - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I’m no Flyers fan, but that guy is one hell of a hockey player. And that was about as good of a first shift as anyone ever has had in the league’s history, one would have to imagine. Smash the best player in the world into his own bench, then go score a wicked goal to put an exclamation point on it? Show me a coach who wouldn’t be happy about a show like that.

• joebuckiscreepy - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM

wow. rational common sense in the comment section. i think i just saw a monkey fly past my window…

• govtminion - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:05 PM

You do have a point, I should be saying Crosby sucks or ‘OMFG BRUINS WILL OWN JOO ALLZ!!!’ or some crap like that to fit in, huh? Sorry about that, I’ll try harder next time! ;)

I’m a fan of the game before I’m a fan of any team, even the Bruins. So why get into the ‘lulz, your team sux’ crap when I enjoy a good game no matter who is playing? Columbus vs. Toronto is all that’s on, fine by me!

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I got a front row seat (I sit close to the TV during hockey games) to Giroux and there’s no doubt in my mind he sits on that top tier of players in this league with Toews, Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos – trying to rank these guys is useless exercise because personal biases and system differences makes it hard to judge them on an even plain.

Giroux is a fantastic hockey player and I couldn’t be more impressed – you’ve got a great player on your hands Philly. Looking forward to him playing a key part in one of the best rivalries in sports for years to come – just hope my Pens get the better of you next time.

• mercyflush - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

well said napoleon. it doesnt always have to be “we’re the best and you suck.” from either side.

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM

As a Pens fan, i have nothing but respect for giroux. Love the fact that he demanded the first shift. Shows how much he wanted to set the tone and get his team going. That is what leaders are made of. To be honest I believe the Pens lacked that leadership, desire and drive. Giroux is gonna be great to watch and I really see him becoming a fantastic player.

4. joebuckiscreepy - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:56 PM

do you tools just sit there, re-living the pain of losing, waiting for another philly-related article to be posted so you can mention stanley cups, lombardi trophies, etc…with false internet bravado??

must take a lot of time out of what you do for the rest of the day, which i can only assume involves licking windows…

your team got out-played and beat, fair and square, and claude giroux and sean couturier thoroughly outplayed crosby and malkin. it happened. get over it and find a new hobby.

• rtrmusic - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’m a Pens fan and I agree with most of that comment. The Pens got outplayed, plain and simple. The fact is; Fluery and the defense sucked, while the offense didn’t contribute much to over compensate. Pens lost. It’s over and done with. Congrats to Philly, but much like Disco Dan said ” I won’t wish you luck.”

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I agree – unless one of those three Stanley Cups was going to throw on skates and provide some defensive support they weren’t helping on Sunday. Even if we sneak past Philly we aren’t going too much further without major changes.

• joebuckiscreepy - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:12 PM

That’s more than fair.

• maalea - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:51 PM

People talk about Crosby needing to grow up but what do you expect when the head coach acts like a petty high school girl in his post game presser.

My mother taught me “if you don’t have anything good to say about someone, say nothing at all”

I won’t wish you good luck please grow up.

I understand his feelings (and I don’t blame him) but you don’t tell the whole world.

• bobhpine - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM

That’s a long post for such busy guy

• nfceastisbeast - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:01 PM

“licking windows”!!! …..Classic!

• bobhpine - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM

the eagles…hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.wait hold…michael vick will win a super bowl….ahhahahahahahaha

5. mydadyourmom - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Good series, but they better get serious about playing some D in front of that terrible goalie if they hope to have a chance to get to round 3.

• joebuckiscreepy - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Yeah, the D and Bryz were both pretty bad for most of the series. Definitely need to get Grossman back and healthy…and it would be amazing if Pronger got some kind of crazy healing elixir and showed up symptom-free. I won’t hold my breath, though.

• bigdong28 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:44 PM

you forget about mez man? pronger’s career is over plain and simple.

6. gaborik104life - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Gotta say after watching 24/7 and seeing him this season as much as I despise him as I am a rangers fan kid has the skills of Crosby with the swagger (confidence and cockiness) of Ovechkin to be better than the two people mentioned.

7. capsfan19 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

’tis a fine picture if i do say so myself.

8. johart52 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Giroux > Crosby this whole series. Couturier > Malkin this series as well. Say what you will.

• govtminion - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hard to argue with the final result, if not the details.

Can we all at least agree to hope that these two meet again next April?

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I’m a Flyers Fan. As a hockey fan I can agree that I’d love to see these two teams up against each other in the playoffs next year, but as a Flyers fan I honestly hope the Pens don’t make the playoffs next year. I’m sure most Pens fans would be happy to see the Flyers not make the playoffs next year either. It’s nothing personal, oh wait, yes it is. I”d just as much like to see the Rangers not make the playoffs next year. Still, good series to the Pens. Both teams are offensive super powers in the league and irt was a very entertaining series. I understand not wishing the Flyers luck in the rest of the playoffs. Both teams shook hands when all was said and done. Let’s leave the civility at that.

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM

No doubt who the better team was. I am very impressed with how well the young players for Philly were. Great composure and confidence. The flyers are gonna be a force for at least the next 4-6 years. Their management has done a fantastic job of acquiring some serious talent. I would love to see them meet again next april.

• bobhpine - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:47 AM

say what I will…ok…win something tangible…message board troll

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Well, here’s something new… a troll.. calling another guy a troll.. while he’s trolling. Well done. Some people find it difficult to insult fans of a team who advanced to the 2nd round about winning when their team’s already been knocked out in the first round, but not you.

Why dont you take your bitterness somewhere else and let the fans of teams that are actually relevant in THIS year’s playoffs discuss hockey?

9. jpelle82 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:24 PM

at what point will the universal/nbc/comcast/philadelphia media monster stop with the flyers propoganda machine? just because you own the team?…geez…and people think fox news is biased…

• emoser - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

So, so biased. Wait… you said the ‘flyers’ propaganda machine?

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Game. Set. Match.

• jpelle82 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:02 PM

so your argument is: nbc posted a story about how the VEGAS odds for the stanley cup are in pittsburgh’s favor?
        thats your justification for the 8 stories posted in the last 24 hours saying the same thing about the flyers?

• jpelle82 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

if i wanted to read the philly news i would go to the philly daily news site. i guess i cant expect too much from a company who owns the team and trying to produce “news” related to said team.

• stakex - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hey jpelle82, that story emoser posted a link to has nothing to do with odds makers. It was PHT’s (this blog run by NBC Sports) pick that the Pens would win the cup…. and do it pretty easily. So your whole “Flyers” propaganda machine argument goes up in smoke.

And you know why there are so many stories about the Flyers right now? They embarassed the team most anyone picked to win the cup. Thats big news.

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Wow. Obviously you didn’t even glance at that post because it literally doesn’t mention Vegas odds even once. It’s 10 reasons PHT thought the Penguins were going to win the Cup. No odds. No money lines. Just this site’s opinion and an explanation for why they have that opinion. I’m also not sure where you saw any article on here saying the Flyers are winning anything. Seems you have a problem with the content of this site so may I suggest something? Maybe stop reading it? Then you wouldn’t have as much to complain about. Seems simple.

• emoser - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Did you even know what you’re saying? The article makes absolutely no mention of vegas odds.

• bennywisest - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

and Bettman owns Crosby’s jock. What’s your point?

10. sjsharks66 - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM

He helped win this series, he still has 3 more before he can possibly win the cup. We will see how demanding he is If they play Boston and have chars shutting him down. Really hope there is a bruins/flyers series. Really fun to watch.

• mercyflush - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM

if i was Boston I wouldnt be worrying about the Flyers just yet. The Caps have gone toe to toe with them this series, and if Alex O doesnt hit the cross bar at the end of regulation on Sunday then the Bruins are sitting at home right now.

Game 7 isn’t gonna be a walk in the park for the Bruins. The Caps have already won in their building twice this series.

11. dawglb - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I am not sure what I enjoy more. The Flyers embarrassing the Pens, or reading the sore losers (bob…) posts here. You make Pittsburgh fans seem pathetic. If I were a Pens fan I would be bashing our boy bob…

12. kitshky - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:44 PM

PHT101 .. when a team you dislike is mentioned more than once it must automatically be because NBC is biased and is somehow trying to twist the facts to diminish the greatness of the team you support regardless of any history or precedent. And if theres not really much of a case to be made just keep saying it over and over again… and of course don’t be afraid to use all caps if necessary.

• banshee950 - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM

my apologies if I have you confused with someone else ( I don’t pay all that much attn to the players here), but aren’t you one of the tin foil hats that thinks the Campbell mafia runs the NHL and has orchestrated an evil and far reaching pro Bruins conspiracy? That being said, as a hockey fan, its hard not to like the Flyers… and I say that as a B’s fan!! Good solid hockey, tough fore checking, mostly solid D they play the game the way it should be played. If we get past the Caps, I’d be psyched for a Flyers/B’s seris, just not a repeat of ’10, i’m still paying off the therapy bills!!! thanx Dr. Bombay!!

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Speaking of ’10, I got a small taste of what you guys went through that series when the Flyers lost 2 games in a row after going up 3-0. It sucked. Really badly. Can’t imagine how I’d feel to blow that lead so, although I’m glad it happened, I can sympathize with you a bit because that must have been awful haha. Sorry man.

• kitshky - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Umm …no, my tinfoil hats are reserved for massive right wing conspiracies that I’ve promised to not bring to these pages. I unabashedly dislike any and all New England sports franchises but that’s about where it ends.

• banshee950 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM

my apologies for sullying your good name then. good luck with whoever you pull for!
      @Lasalle81, thanks. I’ve been a B’s fan for a long time and suffered many let downs, that one was off the charts.

13. myvickinabox14 - Apr 23, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Boston Washington is an amazing series and if the Fly Guys play either of these two teams it will be a phenomenal series. And so will the trash talk on this amazing website. Just wanted to say the PHT is a great website. It doesn’t get much better than PFT, but PHT has come a long way. Florid is the man!

14. maalea - Apr 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I love that NBC took Florio’s idea and using it for every sport.

I can’t wait for Pro Cycling Talk come July. I can see it now.

Henripringles “You Americans all use EPO”

Soupcan “The French, losers since 1985″

can’t wait

15. bobhpine - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Good to know in advance what the excuses will be when the flygirls choke… Again

16. ballsohardu - Apr 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM

As a sabres fan all i can say is awesome. Philly has a great team

And most importanty. I LOVE seeing sidney crosby lose

17. dembois - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM

As a Columbus fan, all I can say is that I’m glad we traded away the Couturier pick for Jeff Carter.

18. heyzeus143 - Apr 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

win a cup and then talk, see ya next year, 87 will be gearing for you along with some new D – go steelers

• sasquash20 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Steelers are going to suck loser

• bobhpine - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:45 AM

not like the eagles…michael vick….hahahahha

• lasallehockey81 - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Vegas says you guys are both wrong.. Pitt and the Eagles are tied for 3rd best odds to win the SuperBowl at 6-1. That being said, we all now what Vegas had to say about the Penguins and, well, we know where they are.

• emoser - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I love how pitt fans just ignore the existence of their baseball team. Enjoy sitting there with your thumb up your a$$ for the next five months.

19. stopthemovie - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Some may give Giroux an A for his performance I think he deserves a C.

20. joewilliesshnoz - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Crosby is 100 times better than any of the Philly scumbags that aren’t gonna win a cup !

21. 87flyer - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:25 PM

“You can’t beat us”. “You can’t beat us”. “You can’t beat us”. How many games did we take this year from Pitt. How many in your barn? How young is our team? Keep telling yourselves you have the best players in the world because from where this Flyer fan is sitting you chumps are in a whole world of hurt. Keep in mind we like to go on runs against teams and it looks to me like your dirty, whiny, crybaby “stars” are next up on the list. Enjoy the summer!

Oh and for those Boston fans. No, no, no. We come back from 0-3. You sweep us the next year. My heart won’t be able to take another series against the Bruins especially if they start playing the way they can. That would be one brutal series. I guess though there is always that old adage, you have to beat the best to be the best.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins