Apr 23, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
The New York Rangers got a decent amount of big calls in their favor* during their 3-2 win against the Ottawa Senators, but Henrik Lundqvist finished Game 6 steaming mad. He was angry about a Jason Spezza 3-2 goal that wasn’t disallowed, even floating some minor conspiracy theory material, as Ian Mendes captures.
“It’s a joke,” Lundqvist said. “Somebody wanted them back in the game.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Wow. If Lundqvist was wearing a suit and standing behind the Rangers bench, one might just expect the NHL to hand him a $10K fine for critiquing officials. Instead, I’m fairly certain he’s only going to owe the maximum $2,500 – if it comes down to that. John Tortorella wisely uttered a “no comment” on the goal, by the way.
(Stray thought: maybe Tortorella should use players as surrogates for his ref griping in future situations? Just floating it out there …)
For what it’s worth, the league’s own Situation Room blog provided this explanation for the sustained score:
At 19:21 of the third period in the Rangers/Senators game, video review was used to determine if Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil kicked the puck into the New York net. Video review was inconclusive in determining if Chris Neil’s left skate propelled the puck into the net. Call on the ice stands, good goal Ottawa.
Here’s video of the goal itself:
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)