Apr 23, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
The New York Rangers got a decent amount of big calls in their favor* during their 3-2 win against the Ottawa Senators, but Henrik Lundqvist finished Game 6 steaming mad. He was angry about a Jason Spezza 3-2 goal that wasn’t disallowed, even floating some minor conspiracy theory material, as Ian Mendes captures.
“It’s a joke,” Lundqvist said. “Somebody wanted them back in the game.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Wow. If Lundqvist was wearing a suit and standing behind the Rangers bench, one might just expect the NHL to hand him a $10K fine for critiquing officials. Instead, I’m fairly certain he’s only going to owe the maximum $2,500 – if it comes down to that. John Tortorella wisely uttered a “no comment” on the goal, by the way.
(Stray thought: maybe Tortorella should use players as surrogates for his ref griping in future situations? Just floating it out there …)
For what it’s worth, the league’s own Situation Room blog provided this explanation for the sustained score:
At 19:21 of the third period in the Rangers/Senators game, video review was used to determine if Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil kicked the puck into the New York net. Video review was inconclusive in determining if Chris Neil’s left skate propelled the puck into the net. Call on the ice stands, good goal Ottawa.
Here’s video of the goal itself:
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)