Apr 23, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
The New York Rangers got a decent amount of big calls in their favor* during their 3-2 win against the Ottawa Senators, but Henrik Lundqvist finished Game 6 steaming mad. He was angry about a Jason Spezza 3-2 goal that wasn’t disallowed, even floating some minor conspiracy theory material, as Ian Mendes captures.
“It’s a joke,” Lundqvist said. “Somebody wanted them back in the game.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Wow. If Lundqvist was wearing a suit and standing behind the Rangers bench, one might just expect the NHL to hand him a $10K fine for critiquing officials. Instead, I’m fairly certain he’s only going to owe the maximum $2,500 – if it comes down to that. John Tortorella wisely uttered a “no comment” on the goal, by the way.
(Stray thought: maybe Tortorella should use players as surrogates for his ref griping in future situations? Just floating it out there …)
For what it’s worth, the league’s own Situation Room blog provided this explanation for the sustained score:
At 19:21 of the third period in the Rangers/Senators game, video review was used to determine if Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil kicked the puck into the New York net. Video review was inconclusive in determining if Chris Neil’s left skate propelled the puck into the net. Call on the ice stands, good goal Ottawa.
Here’s video of the goal itself:
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)