Apr 23, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
The New York Rangers got a decent amount of big calls in their favor* during their 3-2 win against the Ottawa Senators, but Henrik Lundqvist finished Game 6 steaming mad. He was angry about a Jason Spezza 3-2 goal that wasn’t disallowed, even floating some minor conspiracy theory material, as Ian Mendes captures.
“It’s a joke,” Lundqvist said. “Somebody wanted them back in the game.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Wow. If Lundqvist was wearing a suit and standing behind the Rangers bench, one might just expect the NHL to hand him a $10K fine for critiquing officials. Instead, I’m fairly certain he’s only going to owe the maximum $2,500 – if it comes down to that. John Tortorella wisely uttered a “no comment” on the goal, by the way.
(Stray thought: maybe Tortorella should use players as surrogates for his ref griping in future situations? Just floating it out there …)
For what it’s worth, the league’s own Situation Room blog provided this explanation for the sustained score:
At 19:21 of the third period in the Rangers/Senators game, video review was used to determine if Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil kicked the puck into the New York net. Video review was inconclusive in determining if Chris Neil’s left skate propelled the puck into the net. Call on the ice stands, good goal Ottawa.
Here’s video of the goal itself:
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)