Apr 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Players have spoon fed us the same clichés so many times that often we just shrug them off. A good writer or speaker can take the same tired dialogue and make it feel honest, personalized, and engaging. I’m not sure if Jay Beagle is truly that great a speaker or if the fact that he’s being genuine is just ringing through, but he says essentially the same thing you’ve heard a thousand times before far better than most.
Jay Beagle has been doing a playoff blog – one that will draw to a close soon if the Washington Capitals lose in game 7 – but if you haven’t checked it out yet, I recommend giving it a shot.
Here’s an excerpt, so that I can illustrate what I mean:
Game 6 is out of our minds already. I’m not even really disappointed; it’s just an opportunity that’s passed and we have another opportunity in Game 7. Last night I was thinking about plays I could have done better, but today I woke up and my thoughts were already toward Game 7 and even toward tomorrow’s practice.
Really, all that boils down to is, “We need to put our defeat behind us and focus on the next game.” To me though, the personal touch gives the statement a greater impact. It fleshes out the series and gives it greater context, which in turn makes the series that much more interesting. Let’s face it, sometimes quotes gained from interviews can leave something to be desired…
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)