Apr 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Players have spoon fed us the same clichés so many times that often we just shrug them off. A good writer or speaker can take the same tired dialogue and make it feel honest, personalized, and engaging. I’m not sure if Jay Beagle is truly that great a speaker or if the fact that he’s being genuine is just ringing through, but he says essentially the same thing you’ve heard a thousand times before far better than most.
Jay Beagle has been doing a playoff blog – one that will draw to a close soon if the Washington Capitals lose in game 7 – but if you haven’t checked it out yet, I recommend giving it a shot.
Here’s an excerpt, so that I can illustrate what I mean:
Game 6 is out of our minds already. I’m not even really disappointed; it’s just an opportunity that’s passed and we have another opportunity in Game 7. Last night I was thinking about plays I could have done better, but today I woke up and my thoughts were already toward Game 7 and even toward tomorrow’s practice.
Really, all that boils down to is, “We need to put our defeat behind us and focus on the next game.” To me though, the personal touch gives the statement a greater impact. It fleshes out the series and gives it greater context, which in turn makes the series that much more interesting. Let’s face it, sometimes quotes gained from interviews can leave something to be desired…
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)