Apr 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Players have spoon fed us the same clichés so many times that often we just shrug them off. A good writer or speaker can take the same tired dialogue and make it feel honest, personalized, and engaging. I’m not sure if Jay Beagle is truly that great a speaker or if the fact that he’s being genuine is just ringing through, but he says essentially the same thing you’ve heard a thousand times before far better than most.
Jay Beagle has been doing a playoff blog – one that will draw to a close soon if the Washington Capitals lose in game 7 – but if you haven’t checked it out yet, I recommend giving it a shot.
Here’s an excerpt, so that I can illustrate what I mean:
Game 6 is out of our minds already. I’m not even really disappointed; it’s just an opportunity that’s passed and we have another opportunity in Game 7. Last night I was thinking about plays I could have done better, but today I woke up and my thoughts were already toward Game 7 and even toward tomorrow’s practice.
Really, all that boils down to is, “We need to put our defeat behind us and focus on the next game.” To me though, the personal touch gives the statement a greater impact. It fleshes out the series and gives it greater context, which in turn makes the series that much more interesting. Let’s face it, sometimes quotes gained from interviews can leave something to be desired…
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (63)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)