Apr 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Players have spoon fed us the same clichés so many times that often we just shrug them off. A good writer or speaker can take the same tired dialogue and make it feel honest, personalized, and engaging. I’m not sure if Jay Beagle is truly that great a speaker or if the fact that he’s being genuine is just ringing through, but he says essentially the same thing you’ve heard a thousand times before far better than most.
Jay Beagle has been doing a playoff blog – one that will draw to a close soon if the Washington Capitals lose in game 7 – but if you haven’t checked it out yet, I recommend giving it a shot.
Here’s an excerpt, so that I can illustrate what I mean:
Game 6 is out of our minds already. I’m not even really disappointed; it’s just an opportunity that’s passed and we have another opportunity in Game 7. Last night I was thinking about plays I could have done better, but today I woke up and my thoughts were already toward Game 7 and even toward tomorrow’s practice.
Really, all that boils down to is, “We need to put our defeat behind us and focus on the next game.” To me though, the personal touch gives the statement a greater impact. It fleshes out the series and gives it greater context, which in turn makes the series that much more interesting. Let’s face it, sometimes quotes gained from interviews can leave something to be desired…
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)