Apr 23, 2012, 9:05 PM EST
Players have spoon fed us the same clichés so many times that often we just shrug them off. A good writer or speaker can take the same tired dialogue and make it feel honest, personalized, and engaging. I’m not sure if Jay Beagle is truly that great a speaker or if the fact that he’s being genuine is just ringing through, but he says essentially the same thing you’ve heard a thousand times before far better than most.
Jay Beagle has been doing a playoff blog – one that will draw to a close soon if the Washington Capitals lose in game 7 – but if you haven’t checked it out yet, I recommend giving it a shot.
Here’s an excerpt, so that I can illustrate what I mean:
Game 6 is out of our minds already. I’m not even really disappointed; it’s just an opportunity that’s passed and we have another opportunity in Game 7. Last night I was thinking about plays I could have done better, but today I woke up and my thoughts were already toward Game 7 and even toward tomorrow’s practice.
Really, all that boils down to is, “We need to put our defeat behind us and focus on the next game.” To me though, the personal touch gives the statement a greater impact. It fleshes out the series and gives it greater context, which in turn makes the series that much more interesting. Let’s face it, sometimes quotes gained from interviews can leave something to be desired…
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)