Apr 23, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
History is not on Washington’s side as it heads into Wednesday’s Game 7 against Boston.
Since 2008, the Caps have played in four Game 7s and lost all but one, with a core group of players — Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green, Alex Semin and Brooks Laich — on hand for all the disappointment.
So, good thing Dale Hunter’s around.
The Capitals head coach knows what it’s like to step up in a do-or-die situation. He’s responsible for one of the biggest Game 7 goals in Capitals history — an overtime marker against the Flyers in the Patrick Division semifinal, completing Washington’s rally from a 3-1 series deficit.
Given his experience, what kind of wisdom did Hunter pass along to his players?
Chuck Gormely of CSN Washington asked and found out:
“It’s a one-game series,” Hunter said. “Enjoy it and have fun with it. It’s going to be a great game to watch.”
Hunter is not one for well-rehearsed pre-game speeches and he said he’s not planning on giving one Wednesday night.
“They’ll be pumped,” he said. “You don’t have to say much. It’s what you dream as a kid when you grow up, playing a Game 7.”
If you’re wondering, Washington’s last Game 7 victory occurred during the 2009 playoffs in a first-round series against the Rangers.
Tied 1-1 with 4:59 remaining, veteran forward Sergei Fedorov scored his first of the playoffs to push the Caps onto Round 2, where they’d lose to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 48
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 24
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 21
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (76)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)