Apr 23, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
History is not on Washington’s side as it heads into Wednesday’s Game 7 against Boston.
Since 2008, the Caps have played in four Game 7s and lost all but one, with a core group of players — Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green, Alex Semin and Brooks Laich — on hand for all the disappointment.
So, good thing Dale Hunter’s around.
The Capitals head coach knows what it’s like to step up in a do-or-die situation. He’s responsible for one of the biggest Game 7 goals in Capitals history — an overtime marker against the Flyers in the Patrick Division semifinal, completing Washington’s rally from a 3-1 series deficit.
Given his experience, what kind of wisdom did Hunter pass along to his players?
Chuck Gormely of CSN Washington asked and found out:
“It’s a one-game series,” Hunter said. “Enjoy it and have fun with it. It’s going to be a great game to watch.”
Hunter is not one for well-rehearsed pre-game speeches and he said he’s not planning on giving one Wednesday night.
“They’ll be pumped,” he said. “You don’t have to say much. It’s what you dream as a kid when you grow up, playing a Game 7.”
If you’re wondering, Washington’s last Game 7 victory occurred during the 2009 playoffs in a first-round series against the Rangers.
Tied 1-1 with 4:59 remaining, veteran forward Sergei Fedorov scored his first of the playoffs to push the Caps onto Round 2, where they’d lose to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)