Apr 23, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
History is not on Washington’s side as it heads into Wednesday’s Game 7 against Boston.
Since 2008, the Caps have played in four Game 7s and lost all but one, with a core group of players — Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green, Alex Semin and Brooks Laich — on hand for all the disappointment.
So, good thing Dale Hunter’s around.
The Capitals head coach knows what it’s like to step up in a do-or-die situation. He’s responsible for one of the biggest Game 7 goals in Capitals history — an overtime marker against the Flyers in the Patrick Division semifinal, completing Washington’s rally from a 3-1 series deficit.
Given his experience, what kind of wisdom did Hunter pass along to his players?
Chuck Gormely of CSN Washington asked and found out:
“It’s a one-game series,” Hunter said. “Enjoy it and have fun with it. It’s going to be a great game to watch.”
Hunter is not one for well-rehearsed pre-game speeches and he said he’s not planning on giving one Wednesday night.
“They’ll be pumped,” he said. “You don’t have to say much. It’s what you dream as a kid when you grow up, playing a Game 7.”
If you’re wondering, Washington’s last Game 7 victory occurred during the 2009 playoffs in a first-round series against the Rangers.
Tied 1-1 with 4:59 remaining, veteran forward Sergei Fedorov scored his first of the playoffs to push the Caps onto Round 2, where they’d lose to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)