Apr 23, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
History is not on Washington’s side as it heads into Wednesday’s Game 7 against Boston.
Since 2008, the Caps have played in four Game 7s and lost all but one, with a core group of players — Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green, Alex Semin and Brooks Laich — on hand for all the disappointment.
So, good thing Dale Hunter’s around.
The Capitals head coach knows what it’s like to step up in a do-or-die situation. He’s responsible for one of the biggest Game 7 goals in Capitals history — an overtime marker against the Flyers in the Patrick Division semifinal, completing Washington’s rally from a 3-1 series deficit.
Given his experience, what kind of wisdom did Hunter pass along to his players?
Chuck Gormely of CSN Washington asked and found out:
“It’s a one-game series,” Hunter said. “Enjoy it and have fun with it. It’s going to be a great game to watch.”
Hunter is not one for well-rehearsed pre-game speeches and he said he’s not planning on giving one Wednesday night.
“They’ll be pumped,” he said. “You don’t have to say much. It’s what you dream as a kid when you grow up, playing a Game 7.”
If you’re wondering, Washington’s last Game 7 victory occurred during the 2009 playoffs in a first-round series against the Rangers.
Tied 1-1 with 4:59 remaining, veteran forward Sergei Fedorov scored his first of the playoffs to push the Caps onto Round 2, where they’d lose to the eventual Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)