Apr 23, 2012, 6:16 PM EDT
A key ingredient to a Stanley Cup winning team is superb goaltending. Do the Philadelphia Flyers have that? Honestly, the jury is still out.
Ilya Bryzgalov left something to be desired for most of the Flyers’ series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, but it would also be unfair to hold him fully responsible for his 3.89 GA and .871 save percentage in the playoffs. The Penguins have an absurd number of gifted scorers and defense didn’t seem to be the primary focus of either team for the better part of the series.
Still, the Penguins are gone and Bryzgalov did play an important role in that, particularly in Game 6. Now he needs to show he can lead the Flyers through what is likely to be a more conservatively played series where goals will be at a greater premium and each mistake by a goaltender will be more heavily felt.
One thing we’ve seen is that Bryzgalov doesn’t have many equals when he’s playing at his best. If Game 6 was the start of another hot streak, then whichever team ends up facing them in the next round should be very nervous. Conversely, if he remains inconsistent, then Philadelphia will have a hard time making it further than they did in 2010-11.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)