Apr 23, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
Seeing the Pittsburgh Penguins bow out in the first round to the Philadelphia Flyers is an especially bitter pill for Pens players and fans alike to swallow. The Penguins came into the playoffs on fire and all of a sudden they’re out in six games.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review spoke exclusively with Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin to get his thoughts on what happened. Malkin had a curious thought about one area he thought the Penguins would have the advantage.
“Every team has a chance to win, not just Pittsburgh. You see the Rangers are down, too. It’s tough to win it every year. And we played against (the Flyers), and they played unbelievable against us all year. … Defensively, offensively, they did it all against us. I thought maybe with their goalie maybe it would be good for us, but it wasn’t.”
Thinking that the possibility of Ilya Bryzgalov being shaky would be a difference maker isn’t a radical thought which makes how small Marc-Andre Fleury came up in the series that much more of a kick in the pants for the Pens. After all, if Fleury even has an average series, perhaps these two teams are setting up for a Game 7 or the Pens find a way to win.
It’s going to be that kind of summer in Pittsburgh with lots of deep thoughts and “what if” questions thrown about.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)