Apr 23, 2012, 9:47 AM EDT
Seeing the Pittsburgh Penguins bow out in the first round to the Philadelphia Flyers is an especially bitter pill for Pens players and fans alike to swallow. The Penguins came into the playoffs on fire and all of a sudden they’re out in six games.
Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review spoke exclusively with Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin to get his thoughts on what happened. Malkin had a curious thought about one area he thought the Penguins would have the advantage.
“Every team has a chance to win, not just Pittsburgh. You see the Rangers are down, too. It’s tough to win it every year. And we played against (the Flyers), and they played unbelievable against us all year. … Defensively, offensively, they did it all against us. I thought maybe with their goalie maybe it would be good for us, but it wasn’t.”
Thinking that the possibility of Ilya Bryzgalov being shaky would be a difference maker isn’t a radical thought which makes how small Marc-Andre Fleury came up in the series that much more of a kick in the pants for the Pens. After all, if Fleury even has an average series, perhaps these two teams are setting up for a Game 7 or the Pens find a way to win.
It’s going to be that kind of summer in Pittsburgh with lots of deep thoughts and “what if” questions thrown about.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)