Apr 23, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
This might seem like an odd thing to say considering the Ottawa Senators got a late goal to bring the game within one, but the thing I’m going to take away from this game is Ottawa’s relatively anemic play in the final 10 minutes of the third period. Down by 2 with a chance to avoid a Game 7 if they could turn things around, the Senators never seemed to manage any sort of sustained pressure on New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist. That to me is why Jason Spezza‘s final goal proved to be moot and the Rangers won 3-2.
Here’s a few notes:
- The Senators probably aren’t entirely happy about the officiating tonight, but of course they can’t simply hide behind that as the reason for their loss.
- What a great game for Derek Stepan. After going pointless in his first 10 career NHL playoff games, Stepan had a goal and three points tonight.
- While we’re on the subject of young Rangers rising to the occasion, Chris Kreider – who has never played in an AHL or NHL regular season game – netted his first goal of the playoffs and it proved to be the game-winner.
- Even though Daniel Alfredsson is playing a mere week and a half after sustaining a concussion, he still logged an impressive 18:21 minutes of ice time. Assuming he feels good after this contest, he’ll probably end up with over 20 minutes in Game 7.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 21
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 39
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (39)