Apr 23, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
This might seem like an odd thing to say considering the Ottawa Senators got a late goal to bring the game within one, but the thing I’m going to take away from this game is Ottawa’s relatively anemic play in the final 10 minutes of the third period. Down by 2 with a chance to avoid a Game 7 if they could turn things around, the Senators never seemed to manage any sort of sustained pressure on New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist. That to me is why Jason Spezza‘s final goal proved to be moot and the Rangers won 3-2.
Here’s a few notes:
- The Senators probably aren’t entirely happy about the officiating tonight, but of course they can’t simply hide behind that as the reason for their loss.
- What a great game for Derek Stepan. After going pointless in his first 10 career NHL playoff games, Stepan had a goal and three points tonight.
- While we’re on the subject of young Rangers rising to the occasion, Chris Kreider – who has never played in an AHL or NHL regular season game – netted his first goal of the playoffs and it proved to be the game-winner.
- Even though Daniel Alfredsson is playing a mere week and a half after sustaining a concussion, he still logged an impressive 18:21 minutes of ice time. Assuming he feels good after this contest, he’ll probably end up with over 20 minutes in Game 7.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)