Apr 23, 2012, 9:52 PM EST
This might seem like an odd thing to say considering the Ottawa Senators got a late goal to bring the game within one, but the thing I’m going to take away from this game is Ottawa’s relatively anemic play in the final 10 minutes of the third period. Down by 2 with a chance to avoid a Game 7 if they could turn things around, the Senators never seemed to manage any sort of sustained pressure on New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist. That to me is why Jason Spezza‘s final goal proved to be moot and the Rangers won 3-2.
Here’s a few notes:
- The Senators probably aren’t entirely happy about the officiating tonight, but of course they can’t simply hide behind that as the reason for their loss.
- What a great game for Derek Stepan. After going pointless in his first 10 career NHL playoff games, Stepan had a goal and three points tonight.
- While we’re on the subject of young Rangers rising to the occasion, Chris Kreider – who has never played in an AHL or NHL regular season game – netted his first goal of the playoffs and it proved to be the game-winner.
- Even though Daniel Alfredsson is playing a mere week and a half after sustaining a concussion, he still logged an impressive 18:21 minutes of ice time. Assuming he feels good after this contest, he’ll probably end up with over 20 minutes in Game 7.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)