Apr 23, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
This might seem like an odd thing to say considering the Ottawa Senators got a late goal to bring the game within one, but the thing I’m going to take away from this game is Ottawa’s relatively anemic play in the final 10 minutes of the third period. Down by 2 with a chance to avoid a Game 7 if they could turn things around, the Senators never seemed to manage any sort of sustained pressure on New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist. That to me is why Jason Spezza‘s final goal proved to be moot and the Rangers won 3-2.
Here’s a few notes:
- The Senators probably aren’t entirely happy about the officiating tonight, but of course they can’t simply hide behind that as the reason for their loss.
- What a great game for Derek Stepan. After going pointless in his first 10 career NHL playoff games, Stepan had a goal and three points tonight.
- While we’re on the subject of young Rangers rising to the occasion, Chris Kreider – who has never played in an AHL or NHL regular season game – netted his first goal of the playoffs and it proved to be the game-winner.
- Even though Daniel Alfredsson is playing a mere week and a half after sustaining a concussion, he still logged an impressive 18:21 minutes of ice time. Assuming he feels good after this contest, he’ll probably end up with over 20 minutes in Game 7.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 0
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 42
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 22
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 26
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 56
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)