Apr 23, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
This might seem like an odd thing to say considering the Ottawa Senators got a late goal to bring the game within one, but the thing I’m going to take away from this game is Ottawa’s relatively anemic play in the final 10 minutes of the third period. Down by 2 with a chance to avoid a Game 7 if they could turn things around, the Senators never seemed to manage any sort of sustained pressure on New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist. That to me is why Jason Spezza‘s final goal proved to be moot and the Rangers won 3-2.
Here’s a few notes:
- The Senators probably aren’t entirely happy about the officiating tonight, but of course they can’t simply hide behind that as the reason for their loss.
- What a great game for Derek Stepan. After going pointless in his first 10 career NHL playoff games, Stepan had a goal and three points tonight.
- While we’re on the subject of young Rangers rising to the occasion, Chris Kreider – who has never played in an AHL or NHL regular season game – netted his first goal of the playoffs and it proved to be the game-winner.
- Even though Daniel Alfredsson is playing a mere week and a half after sustaining a concussion, he still logged an impressive 18:21 minutes of ice time. Assuming he feels good after this contest, he’ll probably end up with over 20 minutes in Game 7.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)