Apr 23, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
For the first time in this suffocatingly close series, it at least looked like a blowout – and certainly didn’t go to overtime. It was close for most of the game, but the bottom line is that the Chicago Blackhawks self-destructed late to allow the Phoenix Coyotes to walk all over them 4-0. The Coyotes won the series 4-2 to advance to the second round for the first time as the Coyotes and the first since the Winnipeg Jets did it 25 years ago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get the discussion rolling:
- The Blackhawks took a 28-8 shot advantage through the first two periods but entered the final frame down 1-0. How much credit does Mike Smith deserve for this win, in particular? Do you give him 25 percent? 50? 80? 90?
- Phoenix is now set to host the Nashville Predators in round two. Will they benefit from facing a team that takes a similarly defense-first approach? If the over/under for goals is 10 for the series, do you take the over or the under?
- Echoing the Smith credit question, how much blame does Corey Crawford deserve for Chicago’s first round exit? Should GM Stan Bowman consider going after a new netminder even though Crawford and Ray Emery are under contract for next season?
- Do you consider third seed Phoenix topping sixth seed Chicago an upset?
- Does Joel Quenneville look bad for complaining about Jimmy Hayes‘ boarding major after being livid about the Marian Hossa situation?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)