Apr 23, 2012, 11:36 PM EDT
For the first time in this suffocatingly close series, it at least looked like a blowout – and certainly didn’t go to overtime. It was close for most of the game, but the bottom line is that the Chicago Blackhawks self-destructed late to allow the Phoenix Coyotes to walk all over them 4-0. The Coyotes won the series 4-2 to advance to the second round for the first time as the Coyotes and the first since the Winnipeg Jets did it 25 years ago.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Let’s get the discussion rolling:
- The Blackhawks took a 28-8 shot advantage through the first two periods but entered the final frame down 1-0. How much credit does Mike Smith deserve for this win, in particular? Do you give him 25 percent? 50? 80? 90?
- Phoenix is now set to host the Nashville Predators in round two. Will they benefit from facing a team that takes a similarly defense-first approach? If the over/under for goals is 10 for the series, do you take the over or the under?
- Echoing the Smith credit question, how much blame does Corey Crawford deserve for Chicago’s first round exit? Should GM Stan Bowman consider going after a new netminder even though Crawford and Ray Emery are under contract for next season?
- Do you consider third seed Phoenix topping sixth seed Chicago an upset?
- Does Joel Quenneville look bad for complaining about Jimmy Hayes‘ boarding major after being livid about the Marian Hossa situation?
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)