Apr 23, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators would like to invite Canadians across the land to take a ride on its bandwagon.
With the early exit of the Vancouver Canucks, the Sens are the country’s last hope to put an end to a Stanley Cup drought that’s lasted almost 20 years. A Canadian NHL team hasn’t won the Cup since 1993 when the Habs beat the Kings and Jurassic Park was on the verge of dominating the box office.
Ottawa is a likable underdog, full of players that work hard and stick up for each other. The team’s slogan is “family.” (Sort of like the Corleones, with Matt Carkner playing the role of Luca Brasi.)
Since 1993, a Canadian team has appeared in the Stanley Cup final five times (Vancouver twice, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa) and lost Game 7 four times. Only the 2007 Sens didn’t go the distance, losing in five to the Ducks.
In 2004, the Flames had a chance to beat Tampa Bay in Game 6, but fell in double overtime before the Lightning won Game 7.
Last year, the Canucks made it to the final, but didn’t exactly win over the rest of the country in the process.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)