Canada is welcome to ride the Sens’ bandwagon, says Spezza

Apr 23, 2012, 2:14 PM EST

Sens salute crowd Getty Images

The Ottawa Senators would like to invite Canadians across the land to take a ride on its bandwagon.

“Lots of room, we’ve got a big one,” said forward Jason Spezza today, as per CP. (Gotta be a better way to say that.)

With the early exit of the Vancouver Canucks, the Sens are the country’s last hope to put an end to a Stanley Cup drought that’s lasted almost 20 years. A Canadian NHL team hasn’t won the Cup since 1993 when the Habs beat the Kings and Jurassic Park was on the verge of dominating the box office.

Ottawa is a likable underdog, full of players that work hard and stick up for each other. The team’s slogan is “family.” (Sort of like the Corleones, with Matt Carkner playing the role of Luca Brasi.)

Since 1993, a Canadian team has appeared in the Stanley Cup final five times (Vancouver twice, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa) and lost Game 7 four times. Only the 2007 Sens didn’t go the distance, losing in five to the Ducks.

In 2004, the Flames had a chance to beat Tampa Bay in Game 6, but fell in double overtime before the Lightning won Game 7.

1. pavelfitzgerald - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Not happening Spezza. The majority of Canadians don’t care whether or not a Canadian team win as teams are made up of such a variety of nationalities. Thats what the Olympics are for, just ask Ryan Miller

2. govtminion - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM

“Last year, the Canucks made it to the final, but didn’t exactly win over the rest of the country in the process.”

Please enlighten a ‘typical stupid American’, as habsman likes to say. Was the rest of Canada outside of British Columbia really rooting against the Canucks that much? I’ve heard both ways, but I find it hard to believe that Canadians on the whole hate the Canucks that much. If some of our northern neighbors can help me understand this, I’d appreciate it.

• yearsbehindhockey - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

the canucks just seem totally classless. ill admit i respect the sedins and schneider, but the rest of the team has been painted with a negative brush. i think it starts with luongo and guys like burrows,lapierre, and i thought kessler might have grown up but he was awful this playoffs. they dont seem to have a guy like doan,sakic, or iginla(not skill-wise) that is a positive face for the team/franchise who handles themselves well in the media and plays with heart. so its easy to hate them based on their on-ice softness and luongo being the guy in the spotlight giving awful interviews. thats just me though haha

• kitshky - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:49 PM

The Canucks were despised by some fans throughout the Country and that was really played up in the media. I have to travel pretty much all over the Country for work and from my experience I think it was probably more split than was advertised and quite a few Canadians did jump on the bandwagon. But ya, there was some seeerrious hate going on.

(am I the only who immediately pictures Spezza giggling when I read “we have a big one”?)

• habsman - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM

The term is, Typical American Clown. It’s based on the original term Typical Canadian Clown which was coined by one of your west coast countrymen. It’s not my opinion of the US or Americans in general, but it is most certainly my opinion of the idiot from SJ.

• kitshky - Apr 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Ya i’ll back ya up on that one, you do put yourself up for some pretty easy cracks sometimes but that idiot from SJ was the original “Typical _____ Clown” idiot here.

• atwatercrushesokoye - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Absolutely they were, some people I know walked into Melrose Cafe (the hub of the 04 Red Mile in Calgary) wearing Canucks jerseys during last years playoffs and they were booed by almost the entire bar.

The only thing that made me happier than Vancouver losing last year was that they did it in such excrutiating fashion! Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! haha!

I wish the Sens well but really I don’t care one way or the other whether they win or lose this year, it will have zero effect on me either way, since the Flames are gone (as they are every year by this time) it’s not about cheering for “the Canadian team” for me it’s about cheering against teams I dislike.

• kitshky - Apr 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Im so with you on that one, I hate that we’re supposed to cheer for a team strictly because they’re from Canada. I don’t really want the Cup to come back to Canada I want the Canucks to win a Cup.

I didnt cheer for the Oil or the Flames, and I wouldnt except any different from AB fans. Doesnt mean I’m un-Canadian it just means I’m a Canuck fan.

(That being said, I can get on the Sens wagon. They’re pretty likeable.)

3. pavelfitzgerald - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The Canucks didn’t win over the rest of the country because they don’t play the “Canadian way” – hard hitting, disciplined, no bs type hockey. It doesn’t matter f your Canadian, American, Russian or Swedish, watching the Canucks dive, complain & become punching bags for the Bruins is enough for any knowledgable hockey fan to not like your team.

4. mydadyourmom - Apr 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Any fan who jumps on another teams bandwagon after their team is ousted should be strung up by the nutsac.

• govtminion - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Raffi, is that you? You’re suspended, get off the hockey sites.

5. michiganhockey11 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM

“Lots of room, we’ve got a big one,”

That’s what she said?

Is he saying there’s no tread left on the tires? (ala Stweie Griffin)

• michiganhockey11 - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM

*Stewie

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches