Apr 23, 2012, 11:49 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes finally beat the Chicago Blackhawks in regulation – and ended their playoff run, in the process. The final score was misleadingly lopsided (4-0), but the bottom line is that the Coyotes took the series 4-2.
To the autopsy…
Smith stood on his head just about all series long. If you want a stat that summarizes Chicago’s frustration, just check Game 6: through two periods, the Blackhawks held a 28-8 shot advantage. The Coyotes had a 1-0 lead that eventually morphed into a 4-0 win. Yup, that must be frustrating.
Who takes the blame?
Smith’s brilliance only made Corey Crawford‘s inadequacies seem more stark. Tonight’s clincher is really the only game in which his numbers are awful (16 out of 20 saves), but the highlights of some of his softies will live on in the disappointed memories of many Blackhawks fans.
What will they do about it?
The overall core is what it is, really. Even Crawford and backup Ray Emery are under contract next season, although the Blackhawks haven’t been shy about scuttling out an ineffective netminder if necessary (see: Huet, Cristobal).
Beyond the big goalie question, the Blackhawks will likely do the same thing this summer that they did last year: stock up on cheap veterans to build around their still great-core. Hawks fans just have to hope that those veterans end up more effective than the last batch.
Having a healthy Marian Hossa wouldn’t hurt, either.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 8
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 40
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)