Apr 22, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Before the Capitals and Bruins played Game 1 of their series, one area you would’ve given the advantage to the Bruins almost immediately was in goal. After all it was Boston’s Tim Thomas, last year’s Vezina/Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup winner against Washington rookie netminder Braden Holtby.
After five games and seeing the Capitals with a chance to clinch the series this afternoon at home in Game 6, it shows how much things can change as Holtby is outplaying Thomas. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears from Caps forward Mike Knuble about how Holtby is making everyone’s job easier in Washington.
“He’s just playing steady and guys are playing hard in front of him. He’s making the saves he needs to make. That’s all you can ask for from your goalie,” said Mike Knuble. “Make the saves you’re supposed to make and the odd one that you’re not supposed to make too. I think we’ve been very limited in the real Grade-A chances on him. We’ve done a good job of eliminating them.”
The Caps defense has done a great job limiting Boston’s chances but that hasn’t meant the Bruins have been stymied. Holtby has made more than a few highlight reel stops through the first five games. Thomas has done the same for Boston as well, but yesterday’s game-winning goal was eminently stoppable. Meanwhile, Holtby was making split-legged stops to keep the game under control.
Perhaps we’re in the midst of watching a new sensation take over in the playoffs yet again.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)