Apr 22, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Before the Capitals and Bruins played Game 1 of their series, one area you would’ve given the advantage to the Bruins almost immediately was in goal. After all it was Boston’s Tim Thomas, last year’s Vezina/Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup winner against Washington rookie netminder Braden Holtby.
After five games and seeing the Capitals with a chance to clinch the series this afternoon at home in Game 6, it shows how much things can change as Holtby is outplaying Thomas. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears from Caps forward Mike Knuble about how Holtby is making everyone’s job easier in Washington.
“He’s just playing steady and guys are playing hard in front of him. He’s making the saves he needs to make. That’s all you can ask for from your goalie,” said Mike Knuble. “Make the saves you’re supposed to make and the odd one that you’re not supposed to make too. I think we’ve been very limited in the real Grade-A chances on him. We’ve done a good job of eliminating them.”
The Caps defense has done a great job limiting Boston’s chances but that hasn’t meant the Bruins have been stymied. Holtby has made more than a few highlight reel stops through the first five games. Thomas has done the same for Boston as well, but yesterday’s game-winning goal was eminently stoppable. Meanwhile, Holtby was making split-legged stops to keep the game under control.
Perhaps we’re in the midst of watching a new sensation take over in the playoffs yet again.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 49
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)