Apr 22, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Before the Capitals and Bruins played Game 1 of their series, one area you would’ve given the advantage to the Bruins almost immediately was in goal. After all it was Boston’s Tim Thomas, last year’s Vezina/Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup winner against Washington rookie netminder Braden Holtby.
After five games and seeing the Capitals with a chance to clinch the series this afternoon at home in Game 6, it shows how much things can change as Holtby is outplaying Thomas. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears from Caps forward Mike Knuble about how Holtby is making everyone’s job easier in Washington.
“He’s just playing steady and guys are playing hard in front of him. He’s making the saves he needs to make. That’s all you can ask for from your goalie,” said Mike Knuble. “Make the saves you’re supposed to make and the odd one that you’re not supposed to make too. I think we’ve been very limited in the real Grade-A chances on him. We’ve done a good job of eliminating them.”
The Caps defense has done a great job limiting Boston’s chances but that hasn’t meant the Bruins have been stymied. Holtby has made more than a few highlight reel stops through the first five games. Thomas has done the same for Boston as well, but yesterday’s game-winning goal was eminently stoppable. Meanwhile, Holtby was making split-legged stops to keep the game under control.
Perhaps we’re in the midst of watching a new sensation take over in the playoffs yet again.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)