Apr 22, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
Before the Capitals and Bruins played Game 1 of their series, one area you would’ve given the advantage to the Bruins almost immediately was in goal. After all it was Boston’s Tim Thomas, last year’s Vezina/Conn Smythe/Stanley Cup winner against Washington rookie netminder Braden Holtby.
After five games and seeing the Capitals with a chance to clinch the series this afternoon at home in Game 6, it shows how much things can change as Holtby is outplaying Thomas. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears from Caps forward Mike Knuble about how Holtby is making everyone’s job easier in Washington.
“He’s just playing steady and guys are playing hard in front of him. He’s making the saves he needs to make. That’s all you can ask for from your goalie,” said Mike Knuble. “Make the saves you’re supposed to make and the odd one that you’re not supposed to make too. I think we’ve been very limited in the real Grade-A chances on him. We’ve done a good job of eliminating them.”
The Caps defense has done a great job limiting Boston’s chances but that hasn’t meant the Bruins have been stymied. Holtby has made more than a few highlight reel stops through the first five games. Thomas has done the same for Boston as well, but yesterday’s game-winning goal was eminently stoppable. Meanwhile, Holtby was making split-legged stops to keep the game under control.
Perhaps we’re in the midst of watching a new sensation take over in the playoffs yet again.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 14
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 83
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (83)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)