Ville Leino seems pretty critical of everyone in Buffalo

Apr 22, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT

Ville Leino Getty Images

If you thought Ville Leino‘s first season in Buffalo was unimpressive, you’re not alone. Most everyone who watched him try to adapt to playing for the Sabres this past season were left underwhelmed by Leino’s play.

If you ask Leino about how he did, the way John Vogl of The Buffalo News did, you’ll find out he’s not happy with it either but he has some reasons for why he didn’t do too well and they center around everyone not named Ville Leino.

“It took me a really long time to get used to all the stuff,” Leino said. “Sometimes the flow in our game wasn’t the way that it should be. We didn’t get the puck. Our defense didn’t get the pucks to forwards. We didn’t make enough plays. We didn’t have the puck enough. The flow of the game, it wasn’t quite there.

“Sometimes when you go out there and play, it’s easy. It’s just hockey. You go. But sometimes this season I felt like it was a different game. I wasn’t feeling comfortable. I wasn’t feeling like I was just playing hockey. Sometimes I had to think too much or it just was not coming naturally.”

Leino switched positions around and the Sabres’ slump early in the year didn’t help matters either, but Leino’s words come off quite critically. Considering how grumpy Derek Roy was after the season ended and the grumbles about Lindy Ruff, you wonder if there will be big changes coming in Buffalo this summer amongst the players.

1. tilllman40 - Apr 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Whaaaaaaaaa sabres r annoying girls , I’m sure they all are on Chippewa hookin up w 18 year olds . Punks

• govtminion - Apr 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Must be a rough life. How’s your mom’s basement treating you?

2. widerightconspiracytheorist - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Okay well here’s my opinion; I think that this is yet again another example of how our coach needs to go! We have players to get the job done but it seems to me that Ruff’s system doesn’t work. Another example is how Cody Hodgson, a rookie of the year candidate playing on the Canuks 3rd or 4th line, goes to our beloved Sabres and plays on the second line and struggled to get a goal or even an assist for that matter. I’m happy that Roy said what he did but sadly our management will side with Ruff and odds are Roy will be gone. Get rid off Ruff not Roy!!!

3. crazemastercraze - Apr 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

then don’t ask or accept a extremely large contract then. thats what guys who “earn” big contracts are suppose to do: adapt to play in whatever system is presented to them as they are expected to do when presented with a ridiculously large contract. pro sports has become a job of being able to be mediocre and still get paid for it. just filled with a bunch of men trapped in teenagers mentalities, no responsibility or accountability

4. tarotsujimoto74 - Apr 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I’m sorry Leino, but I’m sure you were perfectly okay agreeing to play center while signing your $27M contract. Also, Lindy wasn’t the one making you fan on empty nets and doing stupid drop passes that cause odd man rushes going the other way.

He was given plenty of opportunities with our better players for him to put up points and he failed. I had no problems with Ruff burying him in the lineup, you have to earn your ice time (unless your name is Derek Roy, then you are given 18-22 min a night).

5. dsd3 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM

He had an embarrassing season, but I still think there’s some truth to his comments.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches