Apr 22, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
If you thought Ville Leino‘s first season in Buffalo was unimpressive, you’re not alone. Most everyone who watched him try to adapt to playing for the Sabres this past season were left underwhelmed by Leino’s play.
If you ask Leino about how he did, the way John Vogl of The Buffalo News did, you’ll find out he’s not happy with it either but he has some reasons for why he didn’t do too well and they center around everyone not named Ville Leino.
“It took me a really long time to get used to all the stuff,” Leino said. “Sometimes the flow in our game wasn’t the way that it should be. We didn’t get the puck. Our defense didn’t get the pucks to forwards. We didn’t make enough plays. We didn’t have the puck enough. The flow of the game, it wasn’t quite there.
“Sometimes when you go out there and play, it’s easy. It’s just hockey. You go. But sometimes this season I felt like it was a different game. I wasn’t feeling comfortable. I wasn’t feeling like I was just playing hockey. Sometimes I had to think too much or it just was not coming naturally.”
Leino switched positions around and the Sabres’ slump early in the year didn’t help matters either, but Leino’s words come off quite critically. Considering how grumpy Derek Roy was after the season ended and the grumbles about Lindy Ruff, you wonder if there will be big changes coming in Buffalo this summer amongst the players.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)