Apr 22, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby probably didn’t expect his playoffs to end so soon, but the Flyers’ 5-1 win in Game 6 sent the Penguins home early for the summer.
In meeting with the media after the loss, Crosby was more level-headed than earlier in the series, when the Flyers frustrated him to no end. After going scoreless over the final two games of the series, Crosby told Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about what hurt the Pens most:
“I think we were ready heading into the playoffs, and then we get a tough start like that (0-3). It put us in a pretty big hole,” Crosby said.
Crosby said giving up three shorthanded goals didn’t help, either.
“You can’t afford to give up one, let alone three or four like we did.”
As for how Crosby played? Coach Dan Bylsma says he was proud of how his captain handled himself, as per CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
“The six games of this series were Crosby’s best six games since his [second] return,” Bylsma said.
“I felt all right. I think it was much tighter the last couple of games, and I probably didn’t get as many chances as I would have liked,” Crosby said. “That’s playoff hockey sometimes. You’ve got to find ways to create.”
As for the series, Crosby boiled things down succinctly.
“Yeah, that would pretty much sum it up – I would have liked to get more going the last couple of games.”
It’ll be a long summer for Sid and the Penguins — getting beat by one of his biggest rivals will give him a lot to chew on.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)