Sidney Crosby reacts to playoff disappointment

Apr 22, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

Sidney Crosby probably didn’t expect his playoffs to end so soon, but the Flyers’ 5-1 win in Game 6 sent the Penguins home early for the summer.

In meeting with the media after the loss, Crosby was more level-headed than earlier in the series, when the Flyers frustrated him to no end. After going scoreless over the final two games of the series, Crosby told Dave Molinari of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about what hurt the Pens most:

Early losses and special teams.

“I think we were ready heading into the playoffs, and then we get a tough start like that (0-3). It put us in a pretty big hole,” Crosby said.

Crosby said giving up three shorthanded goals didn’t help, either.

“You can’t afford to give up one, let alone three or four like we did.”

As for how Crosby played? Coach Dan Bylsma says he was proud of how his captain handled himself, as per CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.

“The six games of this series were Crosby’s best six games since his [second] return,” Bylsma said.

Meanwhile, Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette finds out the Kid wasn’t too pleased.

“I felt all right. I think it was much tighter the last couple of games, and I probably didn’t get as many chances as I would have liked,” Crosby said. “That’s playoff hockey sometimes. You’ve got to find ways to create.”

As for the series, Crosby boiled things down succinctly.

“Yeah, that would pretty much sum it up – I would have liked to get more going the last couple of games.”

It’ll be a long summer for Sid and the Penguins — getting beat by one of his biggest rivals will give him a lot to chew on.

1. eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I don’t like them ! But sid why, because I don’t like them ! But sid your eliminated, I don’t care I don’t like them ! But sid you were heavily favored and lost to the underdog upstart rookies from Philly ! I don’t care I don’t like them !

2. makeham98 - Apr 22, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He can use the time off to deliver playoff tickets to flyers season ticketholders.

3. spiffy53 - Apr 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Buh-Bye Sid and Buh-Bye GenoPringles. so much for the “Franchise”.

• govtminion - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Funny how quiet the ‘army’ got after the first couple of losses, wasn’t it?

• chill1184 - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Got that right. However we will see them make noise again when Rothlisberger gets caught in another bar with a 15 year old.

• tcclark - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Yeah that army got quieter than the Swiss

• rawgator06 - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I initially was going to go on this board to say hats off to the Flyers. They got the Pens to play a physical style and got them out of there comfort zone. The Penguins are going to be good for years, but have to find a way to fix there defense.
        You definitely see the class of a fanbase when, instead of celebrating a series win, they are still making childish jokes about there opponent.

• govtminion - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM

You have a point, but…

A) If you knew what ‘the army’ was, you’d probably understand.

B) I couldn’t care less who won this series. So… yeah.

• paulsdamnblog - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:20 PM

@rawgator, um… Have you seen the Pens fanbase? Pot, kettle, sound familiar?

4. polegojim - Apr 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Too late Kid.

Best wishes on your LONG summer and good riddance from the Cup chase.

Your team soiled the process and tainted the nobility of the game.

• lostpuppysyndrome - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Not sure if trolling or missed dirty plays from other players this playoffs.

• polegojim - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM

lostpuppy – I’m a regular on MANY posts, so no trolling AND….

The Pens have earned every bit of disdain thrown their way.

What does ‘dirty plays from other players’ have to do with anything?

• lostpuppysyndrome - Apr 23, 2012 at 12:08 AM

No slight against you, as you do indeed frequently leave good comments. It just seems like you singled out Sid and the Pens as the only team to have “tainted the nobility of the game,” that’s all. They may have had a greater share of the shenanigans during this year’s playoffs (only Ottawa may have come close at times), but there is something to be said for “it’s the playoffs.” No other two teams in the playoffs have this intense of a rivalry. Does it excuse the childishness? Probably not, but it’s easy to point fingers and wag your tongue when you’re not down there on the ice. I’d most likely lose my head a bit too if my team, who I know is better than the scoreboard indicated, was down 8-3 or whatever it was at that point. That’s all. Again, no disrespect to you.

5. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hockey is better without you ya little rat. You won’t be missed. Now where are those idiots always posting that “soup can” and “the franchise” garbage now? Hope the Flyers win the cup now that the Sharks are out. With the way the fans hate Pittsburgh and Crosbaby like I do, I fully support your team!

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I’m not sure hockey is ever better when you don’t see the most talented players out there

6. hojo20 - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Bye Bye Syndy Crybaby

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:43 PM

ugh….absolutely terrible word play

7. chill1184 - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM

In the words of Nelson Muntz: HA HA! So where are all the Pens fans now saying that they were going to be the Stanley Cup champs now?

8. vasteelerfan - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Don’t mind losing to a better team. It just sucks having to read posts from such stupid filthy morons. The better team one but the classier fans lost. Good luck next series.

• tcclark - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You can’t talk about class when you refer to people as “stupid filthy morons.” A person with class would’ve bit his tongue and congratulated the winning team.

• wiffybogg - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You know what sucks? Not knowing the difference between “one” and “won.” Especially after calling people stupid.

9. eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM

The Stanley Cup favorites were sent a packing in the first round, think about that sent packing in the first round ! Ba Bam !

• fbothharbaughs - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM

1975

& the Eagles STILL have no Super Bowls…

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:35 PM

That statement don’t hurt me Iam a NEW YORK GIANTS FOOTBALL FAN

• somekat - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:14 PM

it takes a real genius to taunt a guy with the name “eigglesnosuperbowls” with the fact that the eagles have no superbowls

10. steelerchicken - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Why do I hate most Pens? They think they are better than other fans in the league. You are not!!! Take off your black and gold glasses and watch how passionate fans are for their teams still remaining in the playoffs

• chill1184 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

So would you say that Pens fans are the Yankees fans of the NHL?

11. benzoids - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Amen vasteelerfan. Hit the nail on the head!

12. tcclark - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Flyers fans trash Penguins Players and Penguins Fans trash Flyers Fans. I think that says a lot….

Go Flyers

13. bcisleman - Apr 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Isles’ season was a disappointment but the two reg losses they stuck on PIT at the end of the season were the difference between a #1 seed and starting against OTT and a #4 seed and starting against PHI. You are welcome non Pen fans.

• dsd3 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Trust me, Philly is grateful for that. Wouldn’t have wanted the Rangers in Round 1.

14. punkrulz24 - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:01 PM

The series was hard fight and well played. Hats off to the pens for trying to keep the series going but my beloved Flyers played the way they should have been all along in game 6. That 4th win was the hardest to get but at least I can breath a sigh of relief knowing we have moved on. I don’t agree with some of the tactics the Pens used but it’s over now and time to move on. Better luck next year. Let’s go Flyers, round 2!!!!

15. bouch19 - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM

“I want to congratulate the Flyers… I really can’t wish them good luck though” – Dan Blysma

Once again, the City of Champions shows its true colors in defeat.

If you’re waiting for anyone involved with Pittsburgh sports to show any class whatsoever….hope you packed a lunch.

• chill1184 - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Should Pittsburgh be considered a true sports city considering that they lack an NBA team?

• pbhatesphilly - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM

seriously, shut up

• chill1184 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hey it’s an honest question, not my fault you got your panties in a bunch over it.

16. paulsdamnblog - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM

The only thing this series missed was someone punching the wispy old lady mustache off of Cindys lip.

17. jmikeymania - Apr 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Philly, 1975. You beat the Pens, not win the Cup.

• dsd3 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Interesting comment since Pens fans seemed to think they were already in the Stanley Cup Final before the playoffs started.

18. vasteelerfan - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Wife bog thanks for you sharp eyes. But you missed the point. Not surprised.

19. islandersfan - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM

This team was way more dangerous before Sidney came back, the defense used to be their strength, and failed when he returned.

20. heyzeus143 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

blah blah blah

21. bbk1000 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Relax Syndey…….the NHL is probably looking into implementing a “do over” rule to keep you and your girls in the playoffs….

• dsd3 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I’m a Philly fan but calling him “Cindy” and a girl is really unoriginal, stupid, and annoying.

• bbk1000 - Apr 23, 2012 at 7:00 AM

ummm…who cares…

• dsd3 - Apr 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Who cares about any comment on an internet message board? Just saying, it’s getting old.

• bbk1000 - Apr 24, 2012 at 6:29 AM

OLD???? I think it’s still fresh as a daisy….

22. wicky888 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I think he meant “best five games” Crosby was invisible today. I barely heard his name mentioned after he got knocked on his ass 5 seconds into the game

23. dickey19 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:39 PM

1974 and 1975 back to back check ur facts great game by G

24. sjsharks66 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM

@sharksfan, stop making sharks fans look bad. Pens are a great hockey team with a lot of skill. They just dug themselves into a hole that they couldn’t get out of. Remember our sharks lost in the 1st round as well. We also have talent that didn’t show up in the playoffs. Is there any respect left between hockey fans?

• chill1184 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You should read comments on Pro Football Talk, this is tame compared to what goes on over there.

25. jason9696 - Apr 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I can’t believe all the Sidney Crosby bashing on here. He’s one of the best players in the NHL. I’m just glad he’s back playing hockey again because it sure didn’t look like he’d be back playing at all this year. After all, he did score the Golden Goal for Team Canada a few years ago at the Winter Olympics. And I’m thinking there are a lot of Canadian posters on here like I am.

• maalea - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Be that as it may but this playoff was between 2 American teams and what country was that golden goal scored against?

Just another reason for me not to “like” the player.

I respect the man’s skills and I’m glad he’s on the ice again but I’m glad he will not lace ‘em up again ’till September.

• wicky888 - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:05 AM

This is a thread between Flyers and Pens fans. While we dislike each other, I think we can all agree that we dislike Canada even more.

26. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

To the other Sharks fan….get your nose out of Crosbaby and the disgusting pens organization’s ass. It’s so deep it’s dark brown. Go Flyers!

27. steelerchicken - Apr 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM

@chill1184 no way!!! Pens fans will admit they sucked for years for the right to draft Sid, Geno, The Flower and Orpik.

Pinstripe prostitutes fans will never admit money is the only reason they win!

28. sucks2suck28 - Apr 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM

hey pens! its okay we got the cup a few years ago, whereas the flyers have been sore losers since 1975. no matter what, we’re still pens fans, win or lose!! :)

• psudu - Apr 23, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Sucks2Suck…if I do recall correctly, Pittsburgh almost lost the Penguins because they couldn’t fill the stands, the team went into bankruptcy, and were bailed out by Mario…I don’t think you’re Pen’s fans win or lose…And why do Penguins fans toss the whole winning the cup thing around…last time I checked, the Penguins have won more cups than the Flyers, 3-2…wow, big difference there…

29. johnnymags21 - Apr 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Just a hockey fan…Enjoying the games. Gotta say that if Pittsburgh played the way they played all year, this series ends differently. Honestly, the Flyers didn’t instigate the Pens into changing strategy. Strange. Better luck next year.

30. somekat - Apr 23, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It was just Cindy being Cindy. It was all about bad bounces, and them not doing enough. Not once did he give the Flyers any credit at all. Not even “you gotta give those guys credit for taking advantage”. This guy has no class, just like his coach.

You gotta love a team who spends the whole round being dirty, gets dominated, then walks away with sour puss like the Flyers were the ones playing dirty.

Stay classy Pens! I wonder why every other organization in the league hates you

31. bbk1000 - Apr 24, 2012 at 6:35 AM

I wonder how the little lady will spend the off season? I’m guessing a large portion will be spent rubbing Rogaine into his upper lip…..

32. phil5111 - Apr 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You guys are pathetic. You win the series and you still whine. Good luck with the next round. You and your Flyers will be golfing soon with that goalie, and you know it. That must be why you still whine.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches