Apr 22, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers defense deserves a lot of credit for containing the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday (Evgeni Malkin was the only player to score a point, let alone a goal), but Game 6 might also be a big confidence-booster for Ilya Bryzgalov. Considering the wild success of trapping strategies in just about every series except for the Pitt-Philly one, it’s reasonable to assume that the Flyers will need more from him as the playoffs go along.
“We’re going to live and die by Bryz,” Hartnell said. “If he plays anything like he did tonight, we’re going to keep moving on.”
Of course, that’s a pretty big if, as it seems like he was simply not as bad as Marc-Andre Fleury for most of the first round series.
Then again, you could argue that there might not be an offensive force quite like Pittsburgh left once the semifinals begin. So with all that in mind, tell us: will the Flyers live by the Bryz or die by the Bryz?
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)