Apr 22, 2012, 5:54 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers defense deserves a lot of credit for containing the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday (Evgeni Malkin was the only player to score a point, let alone a goal), but Game 6 might also be a big confidence-booster for Ilya Bryzgalov. Considering the wild success of trapping strategies in just about every series except for the Pitt-Philly one, it’s reasonable to assume that the Flyers will need more from him as the playoffs go along.
“We’re going to live and die by Bryz,” Hartnell said. “If he plays anything like he did tonight, we’re going to keep moving on.”
Of course, that’s a pretty big if, as it seems like he was simply not as bad as Marc-Andre Fleury for most of the first round series.
Then again, you could argue that there might not be an offensive force quite like Pittsburgh left once the semifinals begin. So with all that in mind, tell us: will the Flyers live by the Bryz or die by the Bryz?
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)