Apr 22, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
In the wake of the quickest playoff exit in Sharks history, questions are being raised about the future of general manager Doug Wilson. Should he be fired for San Jose’s disappointing season? And if so, who should, um, fire him?
After Greg Jamison stepped down as the team’s CEO two years ago, the Sharks’ chain of command became murky. There is no CEO. There is no team president. There are six executive vice-presidents, including Wilson, who are listed alphabetically in the team directory. Presumably, those six vice-presidents all report to ownership–but to whom, exactly? Questions about the power structure are met with zipped lips.
This much, we know: There are 11 people in the Sharks’ ownership group. The general feeling is that two of the 11 owners–venture capitalist Kevin Compton and former VeriSign CEO Stratton Sclavos — have louder voices than the others. Compton is seen most often around the rink. Sclavos was the driving force in a layoff-strewn downsizing of Shark business-side personnel last summer.
However, while Compton and Sclavos are presumably brilliant businessmen, neither man has a hockey background. Wilson has been their No. 1 tutor in the sport.
So for those Sharks fans who’d like to see a change in management, you might need to apply for the opening at CEO, then can him yourself.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)