Apr 22, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
In the wake of the quickest playoff exit in Sharks history, questions are being raised about the future of general manager Doug Wilson. Should he be fired for San Jose’s disappointing season? And if so, who should, um, fire him?
After Greg Jamison stepped down as the team’s CEO two years ago, the Sharks’ chain of command became murky. There is no CEO. There is no team president. There are six executive vice-presidents, including Wilson, who are listed alphabetically in the team directory. Presumably, those six vice-presidents all report to ownership–but to whom, exactly? Questions about the power structure are met with zipped lips.
This much, we know: There are 11 people in the Sharks’ ownership group. The general feeling is that two of the 11 owners–venture capitalist Kevin Compton and former VeriSign CEO Stratton Sclavos — have louder voices than the others. Compton is seen most often around the rink. Sclavos was the driving force in a layoff-strewn downsizing of Shark business-side personnel last summer.
However, while Compton and Sclavos are presumably brilliant businessmen, neither man has a hockey background. Wilson has been their No. 1 tutor in the sport.
So for those Sharks fans who’d like to see a change in management, you might need to apply for the opening at CEO, then can him yourself.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)