Apr 22, 2012, 10:37 PM EDT
In the wake of the quickest playoff exit in Sharks history, questions are being raised about the future of general manager Doug Wilson. Should he be fired for San Jose’s disappointing season? And if so, who should, um, fire him?
After Greg Jamison stepped down as the team’s CEO two years ago, the Sharks’ chain of command became murky. There is no CEO. There is no team president. There are six executive vice-presidents, including Wilson, who are listed alphabetically in the team directory. Presumably, those six vice-presidents all report to ownership–but to whom, exactly? Questions about the power structure are met with zipped lips.
This much, we know: There are 11 people in the Sharks’ ownership group. The general feeling is that two of the 11 owners–venture capitalist Kevin Compton and former VeriSign CEO Stratton Sclavos — have louder voices than the others. Compton is seen most often around the rink. Sclavos was the driving force in a layoff-strewn downsizing of Shark business-side personnel last summer.
However, while Compton and Sclavos are presumably brilliant businessmen, neither man has a hockey background. Wilson has been their No. 1 tutor in the sport.
So for those Sharks fans who’d like to see a change in management, you might need to apply for the opening at CEO, then can him yourself.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)