Apr 22, 2012, 1:02 AM EDT
Well, of course Game 5 had to go into overtime. The Chicago Blackhawks and Phoenix Coyotes wouldn’t have it any other way.
This time around, Chicago procrastinated a bit less to close the Coyotes’ 1-0 lead; Nick Leddy redeemed himself for missing a wide-open net to send it to overtime in five out of five games. There was the sense that the Blackhawks might suffer the most respectable 4-1 series loss in recent memory but Jonathan Toews showed why he’s such a huge difference-maker by winning it 2-1 in OT. Now it’s 3-2 and with the series shifting to the United Center, you can’t blame the Blackhawks for believing they can do it.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens’ 1951 Stanley Cup finals series is the only other one in NHL playoff history in which all five games went to OT. That one ended in five, though.
- OK, let’s ask again: are the Coyotes playing with fire by going with the turtle+counter-punch routine? The second period was even (10-10) but every other period featured a serious shot disadvantage. Mike Smith made 36 out of 38 saves but lost. Can they really grind out another win by leaning so much on Smith?
- The Blackhawks’ power play is a paltry 1-for-17 in this series. Can Chicago win without getting those easy man advantage tallies?
- How do you feel about Coyotes fans pledging their support for Raffi Torres?
- Will the ‘Hawks push it to seven games? If so, can they actually complete another big series comeback and actually win it?
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)