Apr 22, 2012, 1:02 AM EDT
Well, of course Game 5 had to go into overtime. The Chicago Blackhawks and Phoenix Coyotes wouldn’t have it any other way.
This time around, Chicago procrastinated a bit less to close the Coyotes’ 1-0 lead; Nick Leddy redeemed himself for missing a wide-open net to send it to overtime in five out of five games. There was the sense that the Blackhawks might suffer the most respectable 4-1 series loss in recent memory but Jonathan Toews showed why he’s such a huge difference-maker by winning it 2-1 in OT. Now it’s 3-2 and with the series shifting to the United Center, you can’t blame the Blackhawks for believing they can do it.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens’ 1951 Stanley Cup finals series is the only other one in NHL playoff history in which all five games went to OT. That one ended in five, though.
- OK, let’s ask again: are the Coyotes playing with fire by going with the turtle+counter-punch routine? The second period was even (10-10) but every other period featured a serious shot disadvantage. Mike Smith made 36 out of 38 saves but lost. Can they really grind out another win by leaning so much on Smith?
- The Blackhawks’ power play is a paltry 1-for-17 in this series. Can Chicago win without getting those easy man advantage tallies?
- How do you feel about Coyotes fans pledging their support for Raffi Torres?
- Will the ‘Hawks push it to seven games? If so, can they actually complete another big series comeback and actually win it?
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)