Apr 22, 2012, 11:05 PM EST
Since the NHL switched playoff formats in 1994 — seeding teams one through eight in a conference format — the No. 8 seed has upset the No. 1 seed nine times in 32 tries.
On Sunday, the LA Kings made it 10.
The Western Conference’s eighth seed defeated the top-seeded Vancouver Canucks 2-1 in overtime, with Jarret Stoll providing the heroics just 4:27 into sudden death. The Kings will now face the St. Louis Blues in the Western Conference semifinal.
Some talking points:
– Like he was all series long, Jonathan Quick proved a virtual brick wall in the Kings net. He made several huge stops to keep Vancouver from getting its second goal, including a breakaway save on Daniel Sedin late in the second period:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Quick finished the night with 26 saves on 27 shots, and ended the series with a .953 save percentage.
– The Kings trailed until 3:21 of the third period when Brad Richardson jammed home the equalizer. It was Richardson’s first point of the series since returning from an appendectomy in Game 4 — he almost scored the winner in regulation, but his shot with 10 minutes to go in the third hit the post.
– The Canucks went 27-10-4 at home during the regular season. They went 0-3 in the playoffs.
– It promises to be a long, uncomfortable summer in Vancouver. There will be questions about Alain Vigneault’s job status and the future of Roberto Luongo, who was replaced by Schneider midway through the series as the Canucks’ No. 1 netminder.
– Since the format change, a No. 1 seed has never lost in five games. So the Canucks have that going for them, which is…something.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)