Apr 22, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Coming into today’s Game 6 the main questions were about who would step up and if the goaltending might do something to help normalize the series. As it turns out the answers to those questions would be “Claude Giroux” and “Yes, if you mean Ilya Bryzgalov.”
Giroux set the tone early delivering a monster hit on Sidney Crosby and then scoring moments later to put the Flyers ahead where they’d stay for the rest of the afternoon on their way to a 5-1 series-clinching victory in Game 6.
Some thoughts to ponder in the comments:
—- Claude Giroux
broke a Flyers record for points in a first round series with 14. Turns out he didn’t. Tim Kerr owns the team record with 15 set back in 1989.
—- The Flyers power play again caused problems for the Penguins scoring once with the man advantage. The finished the series scoring 12 power play goals.
—- Marc-Andre Fleury went from being the Game 5 hero to the Game 6 goat. A bad performance from the one guy in the Penguins lineup that couldn’t afford to come up short.
—- The Flyers are just 12 knock-knocks away from the Stanley Cup.
Highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 23
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 33
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)