Apr 22, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Coming into today’s Game 6 the main questions were about who would step up and if the goaltending might do something to help normalize the series. As it turns out the answers to those questions would be “Claude Giroux” and “Yes, if you mean Ilya Bryzgalov.”
Giroux set the tone early delivering a monster hit on Sidney Crosby and then scoring moments later to put the Flyers ahead where they’d stay for the rest of the afternoon on their way to a 5-1 series-clinching victory in Game 6.
Some thoughts to ponder in the comments:
—- Claude Giroux
broke a Flyers record for points in a first round series with 14. Turns out he didn’t. Tim Kerr owns the team record with 15 set back in 1989.
—- The Flyers power play again caused problems for the Penguins scoring once with the man advantage. The finished the series scoring 12 power play goals.
—- Marc-Andre Fleury went from being the Game 5 hero to the Game 6 goat. A bad performance from the one guy in the Penguins lineup that couldn’t afford to come up short.
—- The Flyers are just 12 knock-knocks away from the Stanley Cup.
Highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 22
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (59)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)