Apr 22, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Coming into today’s Game 6 the main questions were about who would step up and if the goaltending might do something to help normalize the series. As it turns out the answers to those questions would be “Claude Giroux” and “Yes, if you mean Ilya Bryzgalov.”
Giroux set the tone early delivering a monster hit on Sidney Crosby and then scoring moments later to put the Flyers ahead where they’d stay for the rest of the afternoon on their way to a 5-1 series-clinching victory in Game 6.
Some thoughts to ponder in the comments:
—- Claude Giroux
broke a Flyers record for points in a first round series with 14. Turns out he didn’t. Tim Kerr owns the team record with 15 set back in 1989.
—- The Flyers power play again caused problems for the Penguins scoring once with the man advantage. The finished the series scoring 12 power play goals.
—- Marc-Andre Fleury went from being the Game 5 hero to the Game 6 goat. A bad performance from the one guy in the Penguins lineup that couldn’t afford to come up short.
—- The Flyers are just 12 knock-knocks away from the Stanley Cup.
Highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)