Apr 22, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Coming into today’s Game 6 the main questions were about who would step up and if the goaltending might do something to help normalize the series. As it turns out the answers to those questions would be “Claude Giroux” and “Yes, if you mean Ilya Bryzgalov.”
Giroux set the tone early delivering a monster hit on Sidney Crosby and then scoring moments later to put the Flyers ahead where they’d stay for the rest of the afternoon on their way to a 5-1 series-clinching victory in Game 6.
Some thoughts to ponder in the comments:
—- Claude Giroux
broke a Flyers record for points in a first round series with 14. Turns out he didn’t. Tim Kerr owns the team record with 15 set back in 1989.
—- The Flyers power play again caused problems for the Penguins scoring once with the man advantage. The finished the series scoring 12 power play goals.
—- Marc-Andre Fleury went from being the Game 5 hero to the Game 6 goat. A bad performance from the one guy in the Penguins lineup that couldn’t afford to come up short.
—- The Flyers are just 12 knock-knocks away from the Stanley Cup.
Highlights:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)