Apr 22, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
With an extra day in between Games 5 and 6, one couldn’t totally fault Martin Brodeur and Zach Parise if they started pondering their future beyond the 2012 playoffs. After all, a first round loss to the Florida Panthers might just increase the chances of one or both cornerstone players turning the page on their days with the New Jersey Devils. Tom Gulitti reports that both are focused on the more immediate future instead.
First, let’s start with Brodeur, whose playing future is as much in question as his days in a Devils uniform.
“Career-wise, I don’t feel it’s going to be the last of it, but I think opportunity-wise, you never know,” Brodeur said. “Regardless of what the future will bring me, that’s irrelevant for me right now.”
While Brodeur is aware this might be one of his last chances – if not the last chance – Parise has more control of his situation. At 27 years old, he’ll get to experience the sensation of being courted in the unrestricted free agent market – if he chooses. Yet like Brodeur, Parise isn’t elaborating much on those thoughts.
“It’s blocked out,” Parise said. “I don’t think about it. I don’t really want to talk about it.”
Perhaps both prominent players are just providing lip service, but the Devils really could face a golden opportunity for a deep run. Favorites are dropping like flies, so if they can win the next two games, anything can happen.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 26
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming