Apr 21, 2012, 9:39 PM EDT
There’s no comparing Martin Brodeur‘s career with Jose Theodore‘s NHL tenure. One is a once-in-a-generation talent, while the other is a successful starter, but not a legend. Still, there have been some similarities between the two in this series.
Both are in the twilight of their careers and with capable backups that have threatened to steal the spotlight in this playoff run.
After Theodore and Brodeur both looked bad in Game 3, the Devils decided to stick with Brodeur, while the Panthers benched Theodore in favor of Scott Clemmensen. The result was that Clemmensen struggled while Brodeur posted his record-setting 24th career postseason shutout.
Florida decided to go back to Theodore on Saturday and like Brodeur before him, Theodore rewarded his team for his second chance. Theodore kicked out 30 shots to lead the Panthers’ to a 3-0 victory. It was only Theodore’s second career playoff shutout, which says all you really need to about the gap between these two men when it comes to their respective marks on hockey history.
Still, while no one is likely to say that Theodore has had the better career, he might prove to be the better goaltender in this series.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)