Apr 21, 2012, 9:39 PM EDT
There’s no comparing Martin Brodeur‘s career with Jose Theodore‘s NHL tenure. One is a once-in-a-generation talent, while the other is a successful starter, but not a legend. Still, there have been some similarities between the two in this series.
Both are in the twilight of their careers and with capable backups that have threatened to steal the spotlight in this playoff run.
After Theodore and Brodeur both looked bad in Game 3, the Devils decided to stick with Brodeur, while the Panthers benched Theodore in favor of Scott Clemmensen. The result was that Clemmensen struggled while Brodeur posted his record-setting 24th career postseason shutout.
Florida decided to go back to Theodore on Saturday and like Brodeur before him, Theodore rewarded his team for his second chance. Theodore kicked out 30 shots to lead the Panthers’ to a 3-0 victory. It was only Theodore’s second career playoff shutout, which says all you really need to about the gap between these two men when it comes to their respective marks on hockey history.
Still, while no one is likely to say that Theodore has had the better career, he might prove to be the better goaltender in this series.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 2
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 9
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)