Apr 21, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
The Raffi Torres suspension has generated a lot of strong and opposing reactions, even from members of the same team. In Steve Sullivan’s case, his feelings towards the Torres suspension appear to be mixed at best.
Sullivan seemed to hedge his bets by acknowledging that NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has “a tough job” and “no hit is exactly the same.”
That would seem to imply that he’s sympathetic to the league giving a harsher punishment to Torres than we’re used to. However, that’s not all Sullivan said.
“And now the standard is set again. How many times do we reset the standards?”
“In Torres’s case, he’s done that a few times,” Crosby said. “I think it’s more sending a message to him than anything but I think hopefully at this point guys have got that message.”
It does seem like the fact that Torres is a repeat offender was one of the principal causes of him receiving one of the longest suspensions in the history of the league. After all, Shanahan did cite several examples of Torres’ past wrongdoings before announcing his decision.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)