Apr 21, 2012, 5:03 PM EST
The Raffi Torres suspension has generated a lot of strong and opposing reactions, even from members of the same team. In Steve Sullivan’s case, his feelings towards the Torres suspension appear to be mixed at best.
Sullivan seemed to hedge his bets by acknowledging that NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has “a tough job” and “no hit is exactly the same.”
That would seem to imply that he’s sympathetic to the league giving a harsher punishment to Torres than we’re used to. However, that’s not all Sullivan said.
“And now the standard is set again. How many times do we reset the standards?”
“In Torres’s case, he’s done that a few times,” Crosby said. “I think it’s more sending a message to him than anything but I think hopefully at this point guys have got that message.”
It does seem like the fact that Torres is a repeat offender was one of the principal causes of him receiving one of the longest suspensions in the history of the league. After all, Shanahan did cite several examples of Torres’ past wrongdoings before announcing his decision.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 14
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 48
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)