Apr 21, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The Raffi Torres suspension has generated a lot of strong and opposing reactions, even from members of the same team. In Steve Sullivan’s case, his feelings towards the Torres suspension appear to be mixed at best.
Sullivan seemed to hedge his bets by acknowledging that NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has “a tough job” and “no hit is exactly the same.”
That would seem to imply that he’s sympathetic to the league giving a harsher punishment to Torres than we’re used to. However, that’s not all Sullivan said.
“And now the standard is set again. How many times do we reset the standards?”
“In Torres’s case, he’s done that a few times,” Crosby said. “I think it’s more sending a message to him than anything but I think hopefully at this point guys have got that message.”
It does seem like the fact that Torres is a repeat offender was one of the principal causes of him receiving one of the longest suspensions in the history of the league. After all, Shanahan did cite several examples of Torres’ past wrongdoings before announcing his decision.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 22
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 21
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 26
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)